TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:02 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: My SOHC to DOHC swap
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:50 pm 

That sure was a lot of work! Great job hanging in there though because persistance pays!

I was reading about your electrical issue and at least to me it sounded like a ground problem I used to have. I have a '92 Swift GA 4 door sedan with the 1.3 SOHC. The wires are getting old and crack a lot. After throwing a rod in the first engine, I made the wiring look good too by rewrapping the original harnest. The problem I can across was bad wires that had shorted out inside the wrap job I did. The location of the bad wires had usually ran across the back of the block and came off the alternator. Looking at the photo's I was unable to tell if a ground was missing. But when I had similar issues as you did when starting the car, the ground wire that connects to the block from under the rotor cap and runs to the firewall was bad. After replacing that and the other wires that had came into contact with the ground, the car started right up.

Another thing I worked on (if you haven't already) was upgrading the big three. I doesn't require removing any wires and was a quick fix to a lot of issues I was having. All my info for upgrading the big three came from the12volt.com. Here is the link for the upgrade. http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:46 pm 

Evil Cgull wrote:
That sure was a lot of work! Great job hanging in there though because persistance pays!

I was reading about your electrical issue and at least to me it sounded like a ground problem I used to have. I have a '92 Swift GA 4 door sedan with the 1.3 SOHC. The wires are getting old and crack a lot. After throwing a rod in the first engine, I made the wiring look good too by rewrapping the original harnest. The problem I can across was bad wires that had shorted out inside the wrap job I did. The location of the bad wires had usually ran across the back of the block and came off the alternator. Looking at the photo's I was unable to tell if a ground was missing. But when I had similar issues as you did when starting the car, the ground wire that connects to the block from under the rotor cap and runs to the firewall was bad. After replacing that and the other wires that had came into contact with the ground, the car started right up.

Another thing I worked on (if you haven't already) was upgrading the big three. I doesn't require removing any wires and was a quick fix to a lot of issues I was having. All my info for upgrading the big three came from the12volt.com. Here is the link for the upgrade. http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. As of now I am pretty sure all the gremlins are gone. Since the chuggy idle revelation i've been able to put the idle down to 900 and it runs very smooth.

BTW quick update; took Derp to Race City last Friday. There were some ups and downs but mostly ups for the evening. My bests were as follows:

Best 1/4 time - 16.891 @ 82.04mph (best ever - 16.836 @ 78.37mph)
Best 60' - 2.500 (best ever - 2.444)

So the downside was the slower 60' and 1/4 time and the good was the mph. I can chalk all those numbers up to the tires, suspension, spark plugs and pulley upgrade as well as installing the passenger seat and interior carpet. I'm sure if I remove the seat and race like I did the first time, i'd have better everything. For now though, i'll take what I can get.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 pm 

Next stage in the build: Derp gets boosted.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51035

Like I said in the other thread. I am currently in R&D phase right now. Once I get a couple dollars I will get this stage going. Should be a hoot!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:32 pm 

Lately there has been crappy weather, so i've only done a little work and it's mostly cosmetic. Did some more painting of panels and finally started installing the side skirts. Since I had to paint the front half of the skirts, I just managed to get the rear half installed. I used some heavy duty bolts and black silicone adhesive to keep it on tight and weather proof.

Also, since I had nothing better to do, my car was hungry so I fed him some rice. Some nice shiny clearance bin Ractive pedals. That, and I changed the 710 cap to a 5-spoke design. Pretty sure those mods gave me an extra 20bhp (b is for butt).

Should be nice on friday. If the day doesn't suck i'll try to throw the rest of the skirts on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:45 pm 

Hey man, I really like what you're doing to this car! I've had a similar project in mind and seeing yours come to life has been a real motivator! Keep up the good work!

-Geo Dude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:13 pm 

Well, just a few steps away from my car being a complete GT. Got around to installing the front part of the side skirts. Note to self: do it right the first time, it saves on unneeded anger. I used the silicone sealant/adhesive on the rest of the skirts but didn't do a very good job on one side. It kept smearing and doing stupid things and looked pretty brutal. I got it to a point now that it looks good as long as you don't look at it closely. I'll try to figure out a better solution later though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:14 am 

Got my Tom's II Rally chip in the mail last week so yesterday I pulled the ECU. So for the next little while, the Swift will be inoperable. Oh well, should be worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:23 am 

ECU was shipping off to BC for socketing. Now the waiting game begins.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 pm 

Got my ecu back very quick and immediately took it to the track last friday. Too bad the car wasn't ready for it since I still had over half a tank of regular weighing the car down. I did, however, manage to get 470km to a 30l tank on Sunday which was pretty cool.

In other news, I blew either 2nd or 3rd gear. Went to work, all was fine. Started on my way home, shifted into either 2nd or 3rd, and heard a clunk/grind and the engine stalled. I pulled over immediately and started the engine no problem, then I looked back and saw the trail of tranny fluid I left behind. Looked under the car and tranny fluid was pissing out the bell housing. Got it towed back to my house and now i'm a sitting duck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:12 pm 

sounds like a diff pin to me. been there it sucks.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:33 pm 

EngineWhisperer wrote:
sounds like a diff pin to me. been there it sucks.

Do you think the final gear will be messed up from that or is there a chance that I will be able to transfer it to a different tranny? Also, are there any tricks or techniques to finding a decent transmission at a Pick n Pull?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:01 pm 

You dont want that final drive anyways. You want a 95+ 3cyl trans with 4.39 ratio. It will be a good upgrade. Total crapshoot at pnp, about 50% wont shift into second gear on decel but theres no way to tell which are ok and which arent until they are installed(or dissembled and checked first) :( Its a pain, but they are cheap and available and the 2nd gear thing can be fixed.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:58 am 

mightbegiant wrote:
Do you think the final gear will be messed up from that or is there a chance that I will be able to transfer it to a different tranny? Also, are there any tricks or techniques to finding a decent transmission at a Pick n Pull?

codyb76 has a very very good point, when you buy a tranny from a junk yard its a coin toss if its good or not. pull it apart and look see the damage before you go blowin hard earned money. from what you have described it could be the output shaft bearing coming apart or the diff pin killed the bell housing. if it is the pin you will need a new diff. since you didn't drive it like that the pinion and crown wheel should be ok. and if the bell housing isnt too bad you could jb it. these trannys are so simple to tear down and put back together.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:48 pm 

Might as well make an update. I haven't touched the car since I got it towed home. I decided I will buy Cody's GT tranny when I get a couple bucks saved up. For now the insurance is cancelled til further notice and I won't be doing much of anything since all I can do is save money for go fast parts. I'll take a pic of the new stuff I got for free to show why this breakdown kinda makes me depressed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:45 pm 

well since your buying a good tranny, you could pull your old one and tear into it to see what broke in the process. it might not be as bad as you think.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:21 am 

EngineWhisperer wrote:
well since your buying a good tranny, you could pull your old one and tear into it to see what broke in the process. it might not be as bad as you think.

That was going to be the plan for me. Might as well familiarize myself with the tranny I will most likely be dealing with for the next few years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 pm 

trust me you will. it seems like as soon as one breaks your always having tranny problems. well i do anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:14 pm 

Big thanks to Monte98 for giving me his spare tranny to use while I save up some cash for a mint GT tranny. It'll be neat giving the smaller ratio final gear a try. Will psot pics when I get the blown tranny out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:35 pm 

I've for the most part decided that i'm just gonna let Derp sit for the winter while I accumulate parts for the turbocharging. At this point I have the DSM 14b turbo, T4 turbo manifold on layaway, DSM SMIC, i'll try to incorporate my CAI into the setup, DSM bov, DSM injectors, Autometer boost gauge, and a braided SST oil line for... whatever (got it 5 years ago and never had a use for it). Good start considering all of it was free. I'll post if I get anything new or figure out the what, where and how for the turbo setup.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:01 pm 

Pictures! Stuff i've been given and am super thankful for being given.

The Sparco Jr. Sprint bucket i've been using to sit on at Race City events. BEST IDEA EVER. I'll most likely get it reupholstered when some money comes in because it genuinely is a comfy and supportive seat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:26 pm 

Since the stuff i'm doing to the car now mainly involves turbocharging, i'll devote most of my posts to my thread in the "Turbo/Nitrous" section. I'll update this if I have any general upgrades to the engine or body.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51035 is the turbocharging thread.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:38 pm 

Hopefully this solves my one sided camber issue. Plus it gives me something to do this weekend!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 pm 

Just took me and my mechanic bro about 2 hours to swap the control arms. The bolts holding the back of the arm are damn hell ass short and just as difficult to thread. We got it did and now the car has brand new control arms with ball joints and bushings. That and we threw the drive shafts back in, and I tightened a few more bolts that needed it. All in all fairly productive. That and the thought that Derp will be fuckin tight for cornering now. Just hope the new arms solved the camber issue on the passenger side. I'll throw the shocks back in tomorrow and put the wheels back on to see how it sits.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:01 am 

Bunch of things worth mentioning since last time.

Firs thing is that the control arms solved nothing except getting new control arms, bushings, and ball joint on the car. The camber was still there which pretty much meant one thing; the knuckle was the wrong model year. Cody let me try on a knuckle that didn't fit the drive shaft, but still managed to straighten out the camber completely. So after learning that I went to Pick N Pull and had a hell of a time pulling a knuckle off an MK3 SOHC Swift which worked perfectly. The next thing that happened was that, when I was trying to remove the tie rod from the old knuckle, I managed to eff the thread on the tie rod because it was seized and I hit it with a hammer a little too much. So my mechanic buddy got me a new tie rod and helped me reassemble the passenger side. He sits perfectly now. I got a bit bored while I had to wait for bits and pieces so reinstalled the plastic interior panels since I spent the time to paint them and they don't weigh much. I then took out the spray paint and did a quick job retouching the Turbo3 bumpers since they were off the car while I was assembling things. For one of the quicker rattle can jobs, they turned out great. I also got rid of the stock exhaust. Had to cut it into three pieces to get it out... I guess that's why I haven't found a quote for less than $475 for a new 2" exhaust...
Since I completed the piping and oil/coolant lines for the turbo I decided to put the car back together. Blue body with black bumpers, skirts, and spoiler looks pretty badass IMO.