TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:40 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: My SOHC to DOHC swap
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:25 pm 

The good news:

The bad news:

Paid out the ass for shipping and brokerage fees and I don't have a car to apply these to yet.

The situation:

The belt I got for the underdrive pulley is 4 ribbed so I need to add a spacer or something to the alternator pulley. Anyone experience this issue? Do I just add a washer or... not really sure how to address this.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:41 pm 

So I decided that since I have no car to work on, I would just keep on with the stripping of my parts car. Turns out there was a little bit more stuff than I originally thought there would be:

Oh well, at least I can clean and paint the plastic bits while I wait. I'll probably just keep the colour scheme to black. Make things easy for myself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:28 pm 

Small update.

Unfortunately my budget was cut short this paycheck and my desire to purchase Swifty92's ECU chip will have to wait two weeks. Also, under the guidance of Mr. Codyb76, I bought cam seals, a water pump gasket, and a new timing belt for when I have a weekend to make it out to Ponoka and play with the car a bit. I also purchased some NGK Iridium spark plugs just to get that out of the way.

So! Next paycheck will most likely be geared towards purchasing the "Tom's Rally II Chip" and possibly some Turbinetech suspension bits. Oh, and if it's nice out, some spray paint to pretty up all those plastic bits.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:00 pm 
Suzuki Elder

nick, trade in those expensive iridium plugs for some ngk coppers or power grooves. the only value i have found in the iridium or platinum plugs is if you are trying to get the last gasp out of an oil burner. :wink:

i keep a set in the garage for nursing junk motors until i can get around to them to fix them. as far as performance, they aren't any better than new standard ngk plugs.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:28 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
nick, trade in those expensive iridium plugs for some ngk coppers or power grooves. the only value i have found in the iridium or platinum plugs is if you are trying to get the last gasp out of an oil burner. :wink:

i keep a set in the garage for nursing junk motors until i can get around to them to fix them. as far as performance, they aren't any better than new standard ngk plugs.

Would it be of any value to keep them with the premise of near future mods? Or do the coppers/power grooves provide plenty of what the car needs regardless?

Either way, thanks for the info. Good thing I kept the receipt this time around.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:27 pm 
Suzuki Elder

my honest opinion of the gt's ignition system is that it is very good. it provides a nice, powerful spark across it's rev range with the standard ngk coppers. i tried different spark plugs including the iridiums and platinums and the twincam works as well with less expensive plugs and the copper and copper+ ngks give pretty long service.

like i said, i have kept a set around because they seem to fire when soaked with oil and then baked. the ceramic around the center electrode flakes the carbon off so they don't foul like standard plugs. the plugs for the twincam are also the same designation for the other suzuki g family engines so a set of 4 will work in almost everything i drag home. :-P

i stay away from every other plug as the ngks work great. i've had other europeans cars that loved bosch and rejected all other plugs except ngks. as soon as i found a set of ngk plugs in a heat range that fit my 2 stroke cars i started using those to get away from the multiple electrode bosch stuff that was expensive as hell and had a fairly short service life.

personally, i'd save the money on plugs and buy a nice set of 8mm wires instead. suprf1y used to sell some really nice wire sets through 3 tech performance. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:02 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
my honest opinion of the gt's ignition system is that it is very good. it provides a nice, powerful spark across it's rev range with the standard ngk coppers. i tried different spark plugs including the iridiums and platinums and the twincam works as well with less expensive plugs and the copper and copper+ ngks give pretty long service.

like i said, i have kept a set around because they seem to fire when soaked with oil and then baked. the ceramic around the center electrode flakes the carbon off so they don't foul like standard plugs. the plugs for the twincam are also the same designation for the other suzuki g family engines so a set of 4 will work in almost everything i drag home. :-P

i stay away from every other plug as the ngks work great. i've had other europeans cars that loved bosch and rejected all other plugs except ngks. as soon as i found a set of ngk plugs in a heat range that fit my 2 stroke cars i started using those to get away from the multiple electrode bosch stuff that was expensive as hell and had a fairly short service life.

personally, i'd save the money on plugs and buy a nice set of 8mm wires instead. suprf1y used to sell some really nice wire sets through 3 tech performance. :D

Very good info. I was planning on getting some better wires to compliment the whole system. I should actually keep the Iridiums since the engine could probably use a good cleaning after it was sitting in my shed for a year and who knows how long before that with the previous owner.

My next paycheck should make it possible for me to get the wires, among other go faster bits.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:36 pm 

Got back to Ponoka on Saturday and, with the help of Mr. Codyb76, we accomplished a fair bit on good old Derp.

This is the following stuff we did:

- New waterpump and gasket
- new cam/crank seals
- new timing belt
- new Suzukird aluminum underdrive crank pulley
- swapped whatever alternator I was using for a stock GT one
- pulled front suspension off Derp (shocks/springs welded together)
- pulled front suspension off a parts GT
- installed parts GT shocks and Vogtland "raising" springs onto Derp
- cleaned some mouse poo out of the interior :oops:

Some pics to go with the list:

That is quite the size and weight difference. The car feels a lot more responsive.

The front springs in place. The ride feels much much smoother and the car is actually an inch higher than the cut springs.

And since I never got around to taking a pic of how I did the breather return, here's another engine shot.

Now that Cody and I got the coolant leak hopefully out of the way, as well as resetting the timing belt timing, everything is running much much smoother. The crank pulley makes the car a lot more twitchy since there is much better response time due to the weight and size difference as well as less parasitic drag. Also, I never thought I would be able to say that my Swift managed 160km/hr in 4th gear.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:39 pm 

My front, rear, and suspension braces are all in the mail! At this rate they could all be here within the week.

More pics to come when they arrive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:28 pm 

Everything showed up the same day! Totally made this -25c day worth while.

Ultra Racing front upper strut bar, TurbineTech rear upper strut bar and front suspension brace.

I was actually worried for a bit when I picked up the TurbineTech box and it felt like there was nothing in there. Brought it home and breathed a sigh of relief when saw the parts were there. Funny that the parts weigh less than the box they came in. Either way, props to Jardamuth for making the transaction as smooth as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:03 am 

Off to Ponoka today to finish the car and take it home! Pics and maybe vids to come!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:16 am 

where did you get the strut bars and engine brace if ya dont mind telling

BLOWN HEAD BAD TRANS ...

REBUILD IN PROGRESS..........SLOW AND STEADY NUMBER 1 !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:18 am 

BLOWN HEAD BAD TRANS ...

REBUILD IN PROGRESS..........SLOW AND STEADY NUMBER 1 !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:45 am 

Careful with the strut tower bar, the quality is... iffy... and you have to adjust the hood bump stops up quite a bit to clear the outside corners of the damn brace. :roll:

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:47 am 

mitzoplix wrote:

Got it off eBay from a company called Ultra Racing. Honestly it was a great deal and does the trick but I did require a little spacing of my hood. Literally a few washers overcame that issue though.

Everything went in with not too much hassle. Looks good and the car is very responsive. I'll post pics when I get home on Sunday night.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:06 pm 

So Cody and I got around to installing the rear springs, undercarriage brace, and I installed the front and rear upper strut bars. :cheers: For some reason I didn't take a picture of the undercarriage brace, but it fit after we did some squeezing of the control arms. So after everything was finished, I took it out on a 400km roadtrip north to Edmonton and then south to Calgary today. The sport springs give me some better ground clearance and the ride is less bouncy. I can also take corners fairly quick now. Go figure.

Anyways, the few pictures worth showing.

Front upper strut brace installed:

Me playing with some 17's with 205/40/17 tires. Looks sooo badass but i'm sure I would be rubbing like a mofo.

And I finally got around to weighing the car. Bare in mind this is with my laptop. backpack full of stuff, as well as my tools and 2ton jack in the back. Still pleasently surprised.

Now my only concern is that the car was running great... until the moment I pulled into my driveway. When I did that, the idle dipped and it seemed like it was chugging and trying it's hardest to stay alive. I adjusted the biss up a little and it evened out. Not too sure if that was the problem, but i'll definitely be keeping an eye and ear on how the engine idles.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:00 pm 

So I have driven Derp for an entire tank since I picked it up. I was delighted to get 460km on 29.5L which is around 37mpg. Compare that to 27mpg before things got fixed. SO now I have a tiny rocket that runs smoove and gets great fuel economy.

I came upon an issue which will be dealt with soon. I washed the car for the first time today and found that there was a water leak coming from the side of the windshield. This is good to know because I need to replace the windshield anyways so no skin off my back for correcting that problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:03 pm 

Decided to to a little more work to Derp today. The headliners were changing the spark plugs, removing the rear seatbelts since I can't really have a rear seat anymore, adding the hatch release latch from the parts car (frick yeah!), and taking a few pics of stuff that I forgot to previously.

First, the Turbine Tech rear upper strut bar. Quality right there and is set apart with the fact that it connects to the rear seatbelt bolts as well as the strut tower.

Really wish I took a pic of the undercarriage brace before it was taken off the lift, but oh well. Here it is in a really bad camera angle.

And finally, here is my car on 17's with 215/40/17 rubber.

Of course this was strictly for educational purposes. Took them off right after I took a roll down the street. It had no problems turning, but it rubbed everytime I accelerated and went over small bumps. I'm sure it would work if the fenders were rolled, but the loss in fuel economy wouldn't be appreciated. Either way it looks really good with wheels that fit so well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:47 pm 

Quick update. Stripped almost everything important from the parts car. It should be ready for the scrap yard VERY soon.

Before:

After:

Also, installed the GT rear spoiler. Not permanent yet, just wanted to see how it fit and looked. Still need to throw down some paint ontop of that primer and adhere it to the hatch.

As for the state of the driveability of the car, I had to up the BISS so it sits at 1100rpm. I'm perfectly fine with that because now its nice and smooth idling.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:57 pm 

New item! Gauge cluster from a fellow Swifter. It was in dire need of cleaning so I just swapped the guts into my Turbo3 cluster housing. Link to what I did here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=50802

And just incase, here's the cluster for anyone who doesn't care to check the link out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:30 am 

Well, I installed it a little bit ago and then took it for a test toast. The colours look great. The gauges... hmm. The fuel and tach work like a charm, the speedo was way out of whack and so is the water temp. I tried to adjust both of them and I think I got the speedo close to normal but its hard to know unless I had someone keeping speed or a gps. The coolant I ended up putting the needle on wrong so I need to redo that again. At least I can swap out clusters in a few minutes now since i've done it so many times.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:56 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the birba gauge faces you have were made for the gt's 4.10 transmission and 14" wheel set so the speedo should be as close as stock (which in itself was optimistic/ overly eager. :-P )

i've been running birba faces for a couple of seasons on my vert, turbo3 and 4.39 trans. note that my gauges are registered in mph instead of kph. the registration in mph is pretty close and reads within 2% at 65 mph with the suzuki 7 spoke rims and 185/60 14 tires. keep in mind that mechanical gauges are typically designed to be most accurate in the middle of their range. my speedo reads slightly low at 35 mph and slightly high at 85 mph.

really, i drive more by tach speed than by speedo by remembering simple conversions for gears 3, 4, and 5. this year i'll have onboard gps with my laptop in the car so i can get true ground speed. i hope that keeps the scotties off my tail. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:08 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
the birba gauge faces you have were made for the gt's 4.10 transmission and 14" wheel set so the speedo should be as close as stock (which in itself was optimistic/ overly eager. :-P )

i've been running birba faces for a couple of seasons on my vert, turbo3 and 4.39 trans. note that my gauges are registered in mph instead of kph. the registration in mph is pretty close and reads within 2% at 65 mph with the suzuki 7 spoke rims and 185/60 14 tires. keep in mind that mechanical gauges are typically designed to be most accurate in the middle of their range. my speedo reads slightly low at 35 mph and slightly high at 85 mph.

really, i drive more by tach speed than by speedo by remembering simple conversions for gears 3, 4, and 5. this year i'll have onboard gps with my laptop in the car so i can get true ground speed. i hope that keeps the scotties off my tail. :lol:

Nice setup. I have the 4.10 final gear and I run on vert 165/65/13's and have the speedo gear meant for those tires. The strangest thing is that the speedo starts under the 0 mark and when i'm doing 50kph it's around 60 on the speedo. So what i'm going to do now is just throw the Birba on he cluster I was already using in the Swift. At least I know it will work properly that way. Plus i'm gonna try using the stock faces for the water temp to see how they look.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:06 am 

Did some important work over the weekend and last few days. All in all a fair bit was accomplished.

During the weekend I installed my new gauge faces, painted almost all the interior parts, took the Turbo3 carpet to the pressure washer, cleaned as much crud off the floor of the Swift, did some better rust control, replaced the rear wire harness, replaced the driver's seat belt, put the carpet back in (finally), installed the center console, and installed a few painted interior trim bits.

Rubberized bed liner/undercoating for the notorious rusty spots. Used some special putty to fill the holes in the floor. The bed liner also worked as a great sound deadener.

Painted center console with non painted shifter and e-brake (not sure what i'm gonna do with the ebrake since it's not possible to take the e-brake cover off). I'll be buying an aftermarket shift knob so that setup is temporary.

The front half of the car completely reassembled! You can only see a few repainted bits.

I decided on mixing things up with the gauge faces. I kept the stock water temp and fuel gauge face and changed the speedo and tach. Now I can tell when i'm going faster than 140km/h. Also looks pretty at night.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:22 pm 

So a new revelation occurred. When idling, the coolant temp was getting high and I thought it had to do with the underdrive pulley... even though that makes no sense. I soon realized that my rad fan wasn't turning on. I decided to fiddle with the connections and make sure everything was on tight. Sure enough the fan started working again AND it seems that the engine isn't having any chuggy idle issues. I'll keep an eye on that but hopefully it was just the temp sensor making things act all wonky.

On another note, got Derp some new shoes! Four fresh 165/65/13's. Finally I won't have two 165/65/13's in the front and two 155/80/13's in the back.

Seems my car blew over in the wind. :lol:

Finally I can get to removing the suspension and then getting rid of that shell once and for all.