TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:14 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1.0 and megasquirt
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:10 am 

Can you us the stock pick up on a 91 Turbo locked distributor? I have searched everywhere but I hear you cant used the pick up for spark control can some one help me? Carrrlo says "The GTi Camshaft position sensor has triggering events at 91, 61 and 6º BTDC. Is it possible to setup the MS to process these events or a different wheel is necessary?" Please help me.

Post subject: Re: 1.0 and megasquirt
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:19 am 

You should ask Turbohull. I bought his MS setup and it uses the later electronic distributor for the cam trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:34 pm 

you need at least 1 tooth per trigger event, so 1 tooth every 240 crank degrees (exactly what the stock dizzy has). the caarlos page is for use with his custom code and is specific to the dohc g13b. don't bother reading it if you're working on a G10.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:01 pm 
Suzuki Elder

there is still some good, useful info from caaarlo's project. the relay wiring for the fuel pump and source points for power have good descriptions and photos. while that is more connected to the chassis wiring, it's still useful on the g10.

the 3 teeth on the distributor trigger is the minimum number required, but makes for miserable resolution. some cars have 60 tooth triggers on them, others (like ford) use 36 teeth (with one missing that gets used to reset the count) and they produce a much higher resolution. modern systems can actually discriminate keenly enough to detect the differing rotational rate of the crank to identify a single spark plug misfire. newer ms applications have some experimental prediction ability which is based on predictive modeling of crankshaft rates of speed. look at the ms software for all the trigger wheel selections.

one tooth per 10* of crank rotation is the lowest resolution i would entertain, personally. that and the ford 36-1 trigger wheel has sort of become a standard along with the popularity of the ford edis ignition with megasquirt fans. i think i remember that n1tr0 used a porsche ignition set that ran a 60 tooth trigger on his mk1 turbo3 project. that's one tooth per 6* of crank revolution. even better resolution.

there are a lot of options to consider, but honestly, a 3 tooth trigger is at the bottom of the list.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II