TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:37 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:28 pm 

Hey all, I did a fair bit of searching and lurking here and I have found most of my answers. I still have a few questions however. My friend and I had an idea to build the ultimate sleeper. Take a clapped out 4 door Geo Metro, and put a larger, possibly turbocharged motor in it, but retain the stock look on the outside. So far I think we are going to use the 1.3 Dohc (G13B?). My questions are....What cars did this motor come it? Only Sprints? Or can it be sourced from another 'Zuki vehicle? I have read that the stock 1.0L 5spd is usable, but will blow up if run too hard with a DOHC. Is that true, and what other options are there for transmissions? Sprint GT/GTi's are very hard to come by in my neck of the woods. I see that I may have to change knuckles/hubs and braking hardware, obviously for safety reasons, however, will the 1.3L CV axles physically fit in the 1.0L hubs? At least temporarily? And also, where do I source the engine harness? Again, Swift GT/GTi's are very rare here, so if there was any other vehicle I could source it from that would help a great deal.

Thanks,

Charlie.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:23 pm 

G13B 1.3 DOHC 16V was available in all GT/i suzuki swifts '89-'94
You will need to change the engine wiring harness and ECU as it will not attach to a 4cyl correctly.
If you're not putting a turbo or other major mods on it, you can use the 1.0 gearbox, but the GT gearbox has a stronger differential and 4.10 gear ratio, the 1.0 gear ratios differ by year/model but they're either 3.79, 4.10 or 4.39
You don't have to change out the brakes, but it wouldn't hurt, they are bigger. I think the CV spindle is larger but I'm not sure.
You will need CV shafts, a new shifter assembly and to change the motor mounts if switching from 1.0 to 1.3 as the engine is moved farther toward the passenger side.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:32 pm 
banned and still posting

i swapped the twincam engine to a 92 vert and ran with the sohc g13 axles for a while. those axles will fit the hubs on all but the gt models. when i got around to adding the gt brakes (with knuckles, hubs, etc.) i used the gt axles to match the hubs.

i also ran the vert's original 4.39:1 transmission and in a couple of years of hard, competitive driving i never had any gearbox failures (or even any problems.) i prefer the 4.39 transmission to the 4.10 with the twincam engine.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:42 am 

Thanks for all the help guys. So if I understand correctly, the axles and transmissions on the 1.0 and 1.3 non/gt are the same except for length on the axles, and the GT's are beefier? Can the ring and pinion be swapped out for the GT set with out changing the whole tranny? and one more while I am thinking about it... can the DOHC head be used on a SOHC block? I realize pistons would probably be different, but other than that?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to learn all I can before I start buying parts :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Charlie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 pm 

all 4 cyl blocks are the same, marked G13 whether DOHC, 8v, or 16V SOHC. pistons/crank do vary.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:01 pm 

Be aware its a pretty big swap and a lot of parts are needed. It can get pricey and time consuming if you are gathering parts from all over the place. Your first step needs to be trying as hard as possible to locate a complete rusted parts car to use as a donor vehicle.
The best trans for your intended useage would be a 95-01 3cyl trans. It will have the 4.39 ratio. Are you thinking of doing this to a sedan or hatchback style car? Despite the work, the difference in power will be worth it when you get finished.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!