TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2 engines!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:30 am 

I am interested in installing my suzuki gsxr 1000 engine into my geo. However i would like to keep the stock one in place so that i can still drive it to work every day. I know some of you have installed bike engines and made these rear wheel drive. looking to keep costs to a minimum. Anybody expierenced in this field? Any advice?

P.S. this is all jsut an idea for now

Post subject: Re: 2 engines!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:04 am 

well i got a gsxr 600 engine seased and just needs sleaves now if ur interested

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:10 pm 

did you read my post? i have a 1000 that runs lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:47 pm 

The only real way to make the bike engine feasible is to have it LIGHT,keeping the stock engine and trans and the all the stuff it includes like the exhaust,starter,charging,wiring and cooling systems plus adding the the weight of the bike engine and its required cooling,exhaust,wiring and drivetrain bits like the diff and and axles mean way more weight to get going,stop and turn.
In other words its a waste of time imo,the bike engine makes great peak power but is very weak in the tq department(you have to rev past 6 k to get 10+k where the power is so...)

Also this will be a project with lots and lots of fabrication time needed,if you can't do it yourself you will never afford to pay someone to do it(the chain driven diff and mounting alone will be a grand easy to pay someone).Also how do you get to work while your building it because it won't be going anywhere with the rear suspension removed while you figure out how to build all the rear drive stuff.
I'm all for ambitious projects having done my share of them but I'm also old enough now to think it thru a little better before I start.If your going to do the bike engine than decide if the car will be front or rear drive 1st,front drive will be far easier with less fab work.
I have a plan to put the bike engine sitting where the passenger would normally sit with a jackshaft of the counter shaft to drive dual sprockets,1 to the front diff and 1 to the rear obviously.The mass would be centralized very well and left to right side weight be equalized,this would be for an ice race car only and weigh maybe 1200lbs with a full cage.