TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:26 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:25 pm 

Hey all! I'm new to the forum so first off, howdy. I am in the process of swapping a rebuilt dohc g13b into my 86 samurai. The donor swift is a 94 and as far as electrical I have all the sensors required and I grabbed the engine harness, engine relay box and ecu. I have done several EFI swap's before and I am familiar with the basic's. So, what I want to know is should I go through with this setup? Or is it easier (if even possible) to use an mk1 wiring and ecu and sensors?

Thanks!
C.J.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:45 pm 

your best bet is to keep to the stock mk3 wiring
as for the g13b in a sammy, i beleive you have to get a distributor cap from a mazda 323 gtx in order for the back not to hit the firewall.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:30 pm 

Ok sounds good. Could you possibly expand upon the wiring? Has anybody found any issues with either wiring swap?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:59 pm 

Use the MK3 stuff you have- MK1 GTi was never in the states- so that would make sourcing the parts initially and any replacement parts down the road difficult for no good reason.

Since you have done efi swaps before- this will probably be one of the easier ones. Suzuki to Suzuki, you will find a lot of the wiring colors will even match up. In the past I usually just overlay the 2 harnesses, shorten / lengthen as necessary, and cut out the un-needed jingle jangle. If you are lucky, you can even source a late samurai tank and have a built in fuel pump.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:09 pm 

That's what I wanted to hear lol. I plan on taking picture's of the whole install, so if all goes well I'll document how I wired my setup and what issue's I ran into. If I fail, there might be a dohc setup for sale lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:21 pm 

mechanically its a simple swap everything bolts up
just wiring might be a bit fun.
i'll try and find it. i actually have a zip file with all the info needed for g13b to samurai swap.

should go with the 1.9 diesel, acme adapter and you're set :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:00 am 

VW turbo diesel was my first choice, but here in the states they go for $2k USD used. And that's not considering the possibility of an overhaul and the cost of the adapter plate and misc goodies. Even the jetta's are hard to come by. I've searched and searched and have never found one on C.L. or even seen one in public. I've been very fortunate in stumbling upon parts for my current setup. So far it has cost me around $900 USD including machine shop work, and that is everything needed minus a MAFS, VSS, belt's and hose's. From what I've read these engines are a blast in sami's! Not a lot of low end torque for crawling, but that's what gearing is for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:36 am 

I had the same problem when I wanted to do an engine swap with my sami, really wanted VW diesel but pretty hard to do in the states. I looked for months.....

I found on Craigslist a couple week ago a complet TDI jetta rear ended bad but still drove for $900! Made me wish I still had my samurai... bet you would have made a road trip to pick that rig up! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 pm 

That'd be my luck lol. Damn, maybe some day. Hey what about a volkswagen swapped swift? Say that five times fast! Anybody try this?