TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:06 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:00 pm 

Hello, if you swap a regular Metro 1.0 into an XFI and keep the XFI computer will the regular metro engine run properly? How expensive is it to completely rebuild an old XFI engine.

Thanks
Iski

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:08 pm 

there is more to the xfi than i know
but to my knowledge the xfi uses one compression and one oil ring instead of the 2 compression rings
its also uses a gapless ring (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
it also uses a more economical cam.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:28 pm 

it will run fine. rebuild kits are pretty cheap from most parts stores, and REALLY cheap on ebay.

1997 VW GTI VR6 Turbo--dead as a door nail
1994 GEO METRO 1.0 xfi (retired and parted out)
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi (sold)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:03 pm 
Suzuki Elder

as far as i know, the gapless rings for the true xfi engine are as scarce as hen's teeth.

i bought a set of rings one time that only had 2 rings per cylinder, oil control and one compression ring, and i thought it was an xfi set. i was going to use the set for my current turbo3 engine until i found out the set was missing 3 compression rings. i sold them to another member and when he got them, they weren't the xfi rings. :oops:

he was bummed, i was bummed. the 2 ring gapless ring set, the piston, the cam, the transmission ratio, and the ecu are what got twiddled to make the xfi. i've seen some guys who tried to "clone" the xfi by using a standard bottom end with the other xfi acoutrements and i've seen guys bolt an xfi cam in a standard engine with the other xfi stuff - the piston assemblies are the secret "magic" ingredient.

i used the same trick years ago when i built a rallye spec saab 2 stroke engine. larger bore, 2 rings instead of 3, and special machining on the piston crowns to maximize the squish band and on the skirts to trim in the port timing. the reduced friction from dropping a compression ring makes a very big difference.

as far as the ecu goes, the mapping was adjusted to suit the xfi cam, more torque around the midrange and running out of wind around 4500 rpm. they adjusted the car's speed range match by giving the ratio some really long legs.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:47 pm 

89-93 Xfi's have egr and computer controlled timing like the later Metros. Early non xfi Metros have a mechanical and vacuum advance distributor and no egr. A non xfi engine will work fine, just change the intake and distributors. Expect slightly lower fuel economy. 5% or so.

I sold this car to a friend at work. I now have a Saturn L which is an Opel Vectra B.