TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:34 am 

Hi everyone,

I am in the process to convert my 1991 Chevrolet Sprint Convertible (1.0) to GTI 1.3. I have been in the process of fitting my 1.3 GTI engine in the 1.0 Bay. So far I have got the back mount from a GTI to fit perfectly, however the right and left mounts are not sitting properly. The right mount is not sitting properly althouhg I managed to get it secure, the left one is not fitting at all (I am supposed to be having the mounts from a GTI, but they are not fitting), however I got the suzuki manual that shows a different type of mounts, here are the pics of what I have so far. I dont know which engine mounts to use the Vert's of the GTI's, I would like to hear from people with similar experiences, The right engine mount fits but it looks weird (I am using the right mount from the vert), the rear mount is from a GTI and it does fit great, the left mount is supposed to be from a GTI but it doesnt reach the hole at all (it is not even close to it). any ideas? advice? which mounts are best fitted?

The vehicle was originally a Chevrolet Sprint 1991 standard 5 speed. I am using the 5 speed vert transmission for the GTI engine, using the rear mount from a GTI. I have compared the Rear mount to the Suzuki User Manual picture.

I hope to hear from all of you.

Cheers

Attachments:
File comment: Left Mount side view
Left Mount Side.jpg
Left Mount Side.jpg [ 579.69 KIB | Viewed 2429 times ]
File comment: left mount top view
Left Mount Top.jpg
Left Mount Top.jpg [ 547.69 KIB | Viewed 2432 times ]
File comment: Right mount top view
Right Mount 2.jpg
Right Mount 2.jpg [ 479.89 KIB | Viewed 2430 times ]
File comment: Right mount top view, see how the right mount looks weird, it doesnt sit properly
Right Mount.jpg
Right Mount.jpg [ 464.7 KIB | Viewed 2428 times ]

Honda Pilot EX 4WD 2006
Honda odyssey EX 2013

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:58 am 

In this picture
the 3 top and 1 side bolt are visible for the battery tray, but you only show half of the LF mount.
This is what I envisioned:
GTi mount shown...
A long bolt through the rubber mounted collar...not shown.
You may have to fabricate a simple piece of metal between the two bolt holes on your mount to move the long bolt forward/rearward.
Hope this makes sense; there are several posts which show the metal piece.

Someone else will have to chime in on your RF mount; it does appear to need an inch of spacing on the engine side.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:56 pm 

I'll bring over a bunch of mounts i have left over, maybe one of them might help the situation.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:48 pm 
Suzuki Elder

you have the typical mount relationship for a twincam to vert swap.

do this:
if you look at the pic on page 16 of my album's main photos, you can read the description and get measurements.

the flat stock shown in the picture allows the motor mount to move back 2 1/16" so the center bolt and the cage with it's 3 smaller bolts will match up with the 3 cylinder mounting holes.

in the pic, i didn't have one bolt in, that's the empty hole in the front and it bolts the adapter to the mount arm, the next hole back gets one of the motor mount studs through the adapter plate and the mounting arm. the third hole gets the other motor mount stud through the adapter plate only.

this arrangement also changes the torque angle on the mount and actually works to keep the engine from rocking better than the original mounting arrangement. it changes the weight distribution of the power unit.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:25 pm 

Thanks T3, that is a great idea that way I keep the structure of the shelf untouched. I will look at the pics to establish the dimensions of the plate I got to build.

Honda Pilot EX 4WD 2006
Honda odyssey EX 2013

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:27 pm 

Hi Phil, you are right I am missing the top part of the left engine mount. I got the top, just that silly me I forgot to include it in the picture. Thanks for clarifying and the picture, I want to make sure my left engine mount bracket is the correct for the GTI engine. Do you have any ideas to stabilize the right side mount?

Phil N Ed wrote:
In this picture
the 3 top and 1 side bolt are visible for the battery tray, but you only show half of the LF mount.
This is what I envisioned:
GTi mount shown...
A long bolt through the rubber mounted collar...not shown.
You may have to fabricate a simple piece of metal between the two bolt holes on your mount to move the long bolt forward/rearward.
Hope this makes sense; there are several posts which show the metal piece.

Someone else will have to chime in on your RF mount; it does appear to need an inch of spacing on the engine side.

Honda Pilot EX 4WD 2006
Honda odyssey EX 2013

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:10 pm 

R.F. CHIME-IN..... Pass side mount needs its' spot welds drilled out; then moved FORWARD bout an inch... toward the headlamp. :-)

AHM NOT AN AHSOE!!! DO I LOOK LIKE AN AHSOE!?!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:02 am 

Agreed, just did it. Was cursing Suzuki, I wish they would have changed the mounts, rather than the mountin glocation when switching from 3 to 4cyl and auto to stick etc! i had the donor car beside so it was easier to figure out what was up and switch the 4cyl perch to the 3 cyl body. Consider looking at mightbegiants car for reference, it waill make sense once you look at a 4cyl car.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:22 am 
Suzuki Elder

7" long x 2" cold rolled steel. drill 3 clearance holes for 10mm bolts on 2 1/16" centers.

takes less than an hour to fabricate. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:46 pm 

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will follow T3's advice. I dont want to touch the vert's structure, it already has enough rust holes to include some more made by me. Cheers to everyone, I will keep you posted on the progress. I will have to talk to Nick about getting those supports mounts from him

Honda Pilot EX 4WD 2006
Honda odyssey EX 2013