TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:50 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:02 pm 

Haha,the ductwork was absolutly the easiest part of the entire project but glad you like it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:36 pm 

Just found this short little clip from the bank.

http://youtu.be/X-3dpLaNXII

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:10 am 

Had a problem with the shifter cable for the qualifying race,on the warm up lap it stuck in 2nd gear so the standing start sucked.Started in 4th and was passed by all awd cars,found the gaps and was 2nd coming out of turn 2 and had the lead on lap 2.Surprised me as I was out of gear well before half of the front straight and was just coasting.

2nd race got very close as I was caught in lap traffic and the former multi time class champ put new tires on his alltrac and caught up,his heavy car on skinny tires was much better than my light car on a wide tire set-up as I was floating up on the slush badly.Narrow tires for next year. :oops:

Watch the vid,the alltrac can be seen in the rear view,black with a stripe on the hood-also watch the ending as I get slapped pretty hard by a lapper not making room for the leader.

http://youtu.be/VrS07Ltb89k

Won the 3rd race with no problem,the races were started on sunday but rapidly went downhill and became a mud race and lots of carnage.I was pushing for cancellation due to safety concerns and they called it after the fwd street stud race before mine had 6 cars with major damage.I'd be fine running on track with the front half of the field but the back half are just too unpredictable even when conditions are good.

They are going to try and work a miracle and have a track for next weekend,not sure if I need it for points or not.I've been playing catch-up since running the corolla alltrac and getting 2nd's the 1st weekend and the 2 dnf's,if my math is correct I took the lead this weekend but will wait for official results.Btw my wife is leading the second driver AWD street stud class points,would be very cool if we each won the awd class this year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:25 pm 

http://youtu.be/UlOdf5prANc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:24 pm 

Looks like a bunch of cheap rednecks having fun. Does not look as graceful as this;

Attachments:
fer.jpg
fer.jpg [ 75.25 KIB | Viewed 3751 times ]

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:52 pm 

Thanks for the put down,I assure you I'm no redneck and without a doubt my "cheap" car will lay waste to the 458 on our track,even the mighty awd FF will get left in the my snow dust.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:14 pm 
Suzuki Elder

you have to excuse young bullet. he pretty much has that foot in his mouth full time. :D

i'm enjoying watching you toss that little car around on the videos. you smoke those other guys. on one video i think you lapped a toyota 3 times. 8)

i followed a ground up build of a racer who designed his car along the same lines. motorcycle mill on the right, true mid-engine, similar chain drive. he built a tube frame and a carbon fiber body but he was into california road racing.

having participated in impromptu ice racing with motorcycles, go-karts, and cars in my youth, i have a feel for your videos. i'm always a little amazed at how your car hangs in there and how relaxed you seem. you don't even stiffen a little when your car is sliding into the outside car in the corners.

nice job on the car and the racing. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:35 pm 

Thanks,to be fair that one toyota is driven by complete newbs to the sport and haven't gotten up to speed yet.I have managed to lap damn near up to 2nd in a couple races though.As for being relaxed,I learned a long time ago I drive far better like than than all tensed up and not much rattles me any more.As a passenger however.....my wife is leading the awd street stud 2nd driver class in a corolla alltrac and she scared the crap outa me on saturday-she did a perfect slid job out of the last corner on a subaru that had screwed up and I was damn near positive we were going to clip him which would've turned us into the bank and for sure rolled at that speed.Wife thought it was funny afterwards and wondered why I went into a fetal position at that moment?.
I have some set-up changes planned for next season that should improve it plus a big ass wing on the roof. :)

That racer you mentioned,was it a honda 600 body with a 'busa engine?.If so,yes that was an outstanding build(big money was tossed around building that baby)but they changed the rules he built it for just as he finished it rendering the car uncompetitive for the class it then went too-major suckage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:34 pm 

I won all 5 races this weekend with no mechanical issues.

Looks like there's a rule change coming for next season because of my car,it may mean I'll be racing all by myself for half points which completely blows.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:49 pm 

Seasons over,the rules have been changed to kick my car into a seperate class.I'm this years class champ and finished 2nd overall(would've been a good fight for overall if I'd had the car for the 1st weekend)and my wife also won her class(awd street stud 2nd driver in a corolla alltrac)and finished 3rd overall in 2nd driver.

So all in all not a bad year,built pretty much the most radical car to ever run the series with minimal car issues over the 20 races I ran it in and Ontario championships for both the wife and I.Next year the car will be faster again with some minor set-up changes and some big areo additions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:29 pm 

Seems you could benefit from the aero wings these guys use... http://macgor.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=videos&action=display&thread=25126

then again, they are trying to keep 600+ hp.....on the dirt....

we have a speedway track down the road from us. its fairly exciting stuff....

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:46 pm 

I have 2 of these I'll use next year;

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:50 pm 

Uhuh. but you want the side panels to assist in keeping straight round the corners? prevent drift....

heres a snapshot of team stock cars. two teams, cars are blockers or runners. The blockers well..... block.....

If you watch closely you will get the drift.

cars are heavily strengthened but the intent is to disable.... the later in the season... the more carnage.....

http://macgor.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=videos&action=display&thread=25060

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:19 pm 

Haha,yes of course there's going to end plates plus wrapped in fiberglass-the pic is just as I finished building the mounts.The car may also employ what is essentially a rudder mounted vertically on the roof between the 2 wings that I can tune by cutting it smaller if needed.I believe the sprint car wings are about 20 sq ft of surface area,the same as the 2 wings I have combined but my wings have a much deeper chord designed for the slow'ish speeds we run on the ice while the sprint car wings are better suited to 100+mph normally seen by them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:12 am 

One last video with the camera backwards,

http://youtu.be/lRp327YDzXM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:06 pm 

TheSilverBullet wrote:
Looks like a bunch of cheap rednecks having fun. Does not look as graceful as this;

someone's jealous lol.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:48 pm 

Like all my projects I never really stop trying to make them better,so the car now sports 2 big wings to go along with the softer front springs and camber plates with new koni radial mount top hats I'm waiting for to install.The engine is also different than last year being an older model with carbs that are now rejetted,I went restrictive on the muffler last year due to new sounds rules but was way to quiet so I'm modding the muffler to open things up a little.Should make a little more power than last years rough tuned megasquirted engine.I'm working on a new jackshaft design that uses a flex coupler for a corvette,shouldn't have to worry if the engine and chassis flex a little from each other this way.Also went to a narrow 13" tire setup to help the light car cut down to the ice better than last year.Also did a massive amount of work to clean,prep and paint the interior along with the exterior colour change.

Excuse the crappy cell phone pic,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:16 am 
Teamswift Racer

Bugger me thats a big set of wings! any limit in the rule book as to how big you can make them? because you know after you win the first race by a mile the knives will be out for you :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:35 pm 

The rules only state the wing(s) can't be any wider than the body,the body can be widened a max of 4" with wheel flairs.I'm widened 3" with the flairs and the wings are about an inch narrower than that width so I'm good.I just received an email from the ice race director asking if the wings extend beyond the body width,it starts allready.

I had vinyl cut for the hatch that reads 'real racers challenge themselves....NOT change the rules".Couldn't care less if it offends anyone they can kiss my ass if they can catch it. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:16 pm 

New drive system parts,last years was solid and this years will accept some flex with the use of an E30 flex disc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:50 pm 

Are those Mitsu Conquest wheels?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:55 am 

Nope,toyota rwd celica 14x7 wheels.They won't work with a stick fendered car,example prior to the flair job;

I now have it on 13x6 bmw 4x100 wheels with adapters and skinny 155 studded tires,it is now sitting on the ground for the 1st time in months with the new suspension installed and aligned.Engine went in saturday and the wiring is started,the driveshaft needs a minor alteration to the key way and all that mess can be reinstalled but looks like it'll work very nice.Car looks very purposfull of the stands with its new stance,colour and wings-pics to follow.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:16 pm 

Thanks. Looks great anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:20 pm 

Wiring was finished today and it started right up so thats good news.Might even be ready for the start of the season. :wink:

Pics to come probably tomorrow after I clean the shop a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 pm 

is trhe shop cleaned up yet? :lol: car looks amazing! looking forward to some more videos from this season

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next