TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:56 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:00 am 

Hi I,m new to this Forum and curious if anybody can help me with my project I'm about to start. I have a wrecked 93 geo 3 cylinder 1.0 5 speed that I want to make a rear engine trike out of, I would like to know if it is possible to simplify the build by using a regular vacuum advance distributor and a regular carb so I could eliminate alot of wires and sensors to make the build a lot simpler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:03 am 

Well it is possible. I'm going to do the same thing. For the ignition you can use a couple different methods. The expensive route would be to use a full after market ignition. the cheap is to use a GM 4-pin HEI ignition module it plug rught in to the GEO distributor and will work just fine. But you have to make sure you heat sink the module or it WILL burn out prematurely.I connected a small 4-pin module to a spare dizzy hooked it up and gae it a spin and got bit. I f you need more info let me know.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:52 am 

Maybe a set of carbs from a 3cyl yamaha snowmobile could be made to work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:59 am 

i have a set of carbs from a 750 yamaha if needed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:06 am 

aqqus wrote:
Well it is possible. I'm going to do the same thing. For the ignition you can use a couple different methods. The expensive route would be to use a full after market ignition. the cheap is to use a GM 4-pin HEI ignition module it plug rught in to the GEO distributor and will work just fine. But you have to make sure you heat sink the module or it WILL burn out prematurely.I connected a small 4-pin module to a spare dizzy hooked it up and gae it a spin and got bit. I f you need more info let me know.

Sorry only experience I have is with older point systems What do you mean by (heat sinking the module)? also would I have to change any of the wires to the dist?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:34 am 

The only thing you have to do to the original distributor is remove the black "sleave" over the wires and twist them. The twisting helps prevent electrical noise. Its very simple to set up. Heat sinking is the process of using a plate and thermal transfer grease to draw the heat out of the module. Plus the mounting screws and plate will serve as a ground for the module. When you buy new modules they usually come with a small tube of thermal grease or you can get it seperate at most part stores or radio shack. I will try to get one set up and take some pics and give you a diagram.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:19 am 

I went out to garage and tinkered a little, so here we go.

parts.jpg[/attachment]Left to right, old coil, 1984 chevy 2.8 v6 dizzy, geo dizzy.

Attachment:
parts.jpg
parts.jpg [ 405.59 KIB | Viewed 2788 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: this yellow connector is where you will connect white connector from geo dizzy
chevy dizzy connector.jpg
chevy dizzy connector.jpg [ 354.27 KIB | Viewed 2788 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: here is the module. The lead on left will be reused/modified
module.jpg
module.jpg [ 355.69 KIB | Viewed 2788 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: I made mounting plate out af aluminum. Use plenty thermal transfer grease. Bolt to location in reach of dizzy lead. The aluminum plated will dispers the heat, provide ground path and mount
module plate 4.jpg
module plate 4.jpg [ 330.43 KIB | Viewed 2788 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: connect geo dizzy to right side of module marked "P" "N"
module with goe dizzy.jpg
module with goe dizzy.jpg [ 371.26 KIB | Viewed 2788 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The left side is marked "+" and "C". The "+" or pink wire connects to coil "+" and 12 volt switched power. The "C" or brown wire connects to coil "-".
complete system.jpg
complete system.jpg [ 382.77 KIB | Viewed 2788 times ]

This does work. In fact you can use a Ford Duraspark module also but it is much larger. The one I used is 84 chevy 2.8l v6 s-10 blazer (just what I had laying around) but is very common and universal. Autozone part number DR127. cost $30.00.

You might think about a volkswagon carb rejetted on an adaptor. One carb is easier to set than 3.

Attachments:
File comment: very carefully remove the black cover over wiring, avoid nicking wires
geo dizzy.jpg
geo dizzy.jpg [ 372.72 KIB | Viewed 2788 times ]
File comment: twist leads
twisted leads.jpg
twisted leads.jpg [ 358.33 KIB | Viewed 2788 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:26 pm 

Thanks that's alot of help!!! I'm kind of a dummy when it comes to the electrical part only one question were do I apply the thermal grease? carbs and jetting is not a problem thats one of my strong points
when I get paid on the first I'll pick up a module and a coil and hook them up the car is still drivable it just happens to be a convertible noticed you have one. I'm going to part out whats left when I get through the top is pretty much trashed out. it also just so happens I have a chevy fwd 2.8 computer engine I'm going to do the same thing get a older dizzy put a carb on and build a trike out of it later on

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:00 pm 

CHOPPERKZ wrote:
Thanks that's alot of help!!! I'm kind of a dummy when it comes to the electrical part only one question were do I apply the thermal grease? carbs and jetting is not a problem thats one of my strong points
when I get paid on the first I'll pick up a module and a coil and hook them up the car is still drivable it just happens to be a convertible noticed you have one. I'm going to part out whats left when I get through the top is pretty much trashed out. it also just so happens I have a chevy fwd 2.8 computer engine I'm going to do the same thing get a older dizzy put a carb on and build a trike out of it later on

you apply thermal grease on the metal part on the rear face of the spark module. It is meant to be a sandwhich between the module and the aluminum block, which acts as a heatsink. in fact you can ask for a small 5g tube of 'thermal paste' from any computer shop. Apply in a thin layer with a flat razor. Wear gloves and don't get it on your shirt.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:57 pm 

Like silverbullet said put the thermal paste/grease on the metal plate on the back of module. And yes I could use a lot of vert parts so just let me know when your ready to strip.

What are you using for tranny are you going to use? The metro 5 speed will have the shift linkage on the wrong side unless you use a cable shift.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 pm 

I'm going to use the 5 speed haven't figured out how I'm going to do the shifter yet I might copy the semi cabovers I've seen them with linkage and cable shift.
Let me know what parts you might need I'm going to keep all the drivetrain e-brake rear suspension and hubs, dash I have another geo hatchback that I drive so whatever parts that will fit my hatchback. Right front fender and rear bumper is trashed hood has repairs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:49 pm 

I will be needing all three mirrors with all trims and screws and a few other parts. I will get a list together and pm you later.