TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:47 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:05 pm 

Hey guys, im currently converting my 1992 Geo Metro 1.0L into a GTI, i acquired a donor 1991 swift gti and have a couple of questions for now :-)

I currently have front steering knuckles and suspension front and rear with sway bars from a 1995+ metro which has the G13 engine.
will the GTI axles fit into these steering knuckles? as i have new brakes, wheel bearings, calipers etc installed onto them and would like to keep them, ive read about the wheel bearing not being able to withstand the torque but im not too worried about that right now :-)

also on the wiring harness, is the engine harness seperated from the interior body harness (i.e steering column + accessories) will i have to swap the entier
harness over or just the engine harness and the ECU?

ill try to keep this up to date as i go, but will acquire all the required parts before i tear the metro apart and will probably begin start of 2013.
Thanks
Steve.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:57 pm 

I think the biggest issue you will have is the fact that the harness you will be using is meant for the dash mounted controls instead of the steering column ones. I did the opposite swap where I put a 92 engine into a 91 body. I wanted to keep the dash controls but the harness was a few pins short to make it work so I just ended up using a 92 steering column with the stick controls and removing the dash buttons. But yeah, you will have to replace every harness except the one that goes to the back of the car.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:39 am 

K, that's kinda what I was expecting I would have to do. Any information on the steering knuckles?

Also the crankshaft on the gti is damaged from where the crankbolt came loose and wallowed the hole for the key.
I'm going to need a new crank and was wondering if a crank from a G13 is the same as the G13B?

Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:59 am 
Suzuki Elder

i call bullshit on that whole "you gotta' replace all the wiring" dealio.

i've swapped gt engines into a bunch of verts using the splicing technique using the gt engine harness and the metro chassis wiring. you only have to deal with about 7 wires and you only add 2, one for the oil pressure switch to dash idiot light and one for the tachometer signal.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 am 

Okay I'll rephrase. If you don't want to do surgery (or don't trust yourself like me) then you will have to replace the harnesses. If you are schooled in the ways of electrical then have at it. My question would be was it worth the time spent doing the surgery? As much as I liked the dash controls, straight up swapping the harnesses was idiot proof. Which is why I was able to do it.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)