TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:31 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:12 am 

Is this swap possible using the '89 GTI wiring ? I have the GTI engine wiring and
the instrument wiring. The '90 Metro has a tach, I would like the tach to still work.

I don't have the ECU. There is an '89 ECU on Ebay Item # 110806360362
Is that the correct ECU? The Metro is a G10 five speed. The 16v motor
was connected to an automatic. If this is a bad swap, please tell me know!

The Metro is a convertible, I'd like more power.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:43 am 

Of course, the DOHC engine can be installed in a Geo Metro Convertible.

You will need to be a bit more proficient to achieve the transplant.

For example, leading the reading audience with a picture:

vs. an item number would be a good place to start.

Next, learning what to call the various items would help.
The Electronic Control Module, for example is an item of significant importance.
I've shown you a chipped module above.

Getting all of the parts to work in harmony and produce zero emissions? Priceless!

Finally, your tachometer question has been asked and answered many times in various levels of technicality.
Quite simply, the current tachometer can be made to work correctly with some electric manipulation.

If you accomplish the task successfully (as others have) you will be rewarded with a wicked fast automobile which is fun to drive. Do not forget that the powerplant has a different weight than the original engine and you will have to make adjustments for that in the suspension.

I watched a yellow one get on the freeway while I was doing 70 mph in the fast lane.
It disappeared into the darkness ahead of me, and I never did catch it. :shock:

I'll be looking forward to your updates, with pictures of the engine and car you propose to change.
You have not suggested a task for an arm-chair mechanic. (Most guys cannot think through the entire swap.) Even if it never happens, it is a fun car to design. :lol:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:54 pm 

I found the twin cam motor in the Pick N Pull several years ago. The only thing that I did with it was remove the oil pan and valve cover to do an inspection for sludge and metal bits. I knew that the head alone was worth what it cost. Its a clean motor. The car's odometer was 125,000 miles. I figure that fresh rings and bearings ought to be okay. The stock HP is okay for me.

My original intent was to use the motor in a Locost that was lighter than most, maybe less than 1,000 pounds if I made it mid engine. That is why I did not get the other GTi parts, which I came to regret. The Swift was an automatic with four wheel disk brakes. This is the only GTI that I have seen in a salvage yard, but I really never looked for one until I gained an interest in building a Locost. I did get a four cylinder flywheel from an 8v Swift. Then, I found the '90 LSI convertible and thought that would be a fine use for the motor.

The convertible is in good shape, no rust, but needs paint and new seat covers. There is square patch of carpet glued to the top of the dash. It came from Mexico, has a windshield sticker from a Mexican college.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:22 pm 
Suzuki Elder

just a word on the bearings. a friend of mine who rebuilds a lot of g family engines and i have had many discussions on the process that suzuki used to select bearings during assembly and the current availability of replacement bearings for the engines.

i would highly suggest that you carefully inspect the main and rod bearings and measure them using a ball end micrometer. if they measure up and aren't scored, scoured or worn out, use the original factory bearings.

the available bearings from several suppliers measure all over the place and unless you buy them by the crate and spend a bunch of time measuring them to find the ones that will give you the tightest fitments, you will find yourself hard pressed to replicate the factory assembly tolerances.

just sayin'......

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:37 am 

don't forget to get a cutch/flywheel, the 4cyl's and turbo3's had a bigger flywheel which allowed for a larger diameter clutch. the 3cyl clutch/flywheel will bolt on but won't be able to hold the power oh a dohc 16 valve motor.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:08 am 

I have the GTI wiring but have not found an ECM. Can a standard '89 - '94 Swift ECM be reprogrammed?

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:59 pm 
Suzuki Elder

in a word, no. you'll need to locate a gt ecu.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:15 pm 

Would an 1989 Swift GTI ECM identified with "33920-64B4 EPI003D" work in the 1990 Metro conversion?
I honestly don't know what I'm looking for. Is there a difference for auto or manual transmission? I have 5 speed.

The "33920-64B4" matches the photo above, but what does the "EPI003" mean? A seller had a ""33920-64B4" but claims its for a 1990 Metro"

Tim