TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:10 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:35 pm 

I have the motor out of a 1989 geo in my 1992 geo also did a transmission swap to manual but on first start up it woulnt start it seems that i am not getting fire at the spark plug? i was wondering if it was something with the computer because i noticed that the distributor on the 92 is different than the one on the 89 wich has vacume lines and the 92 does not. if this is the problem can i switch the distributors or what? please help i am lost and frustrated Thank You in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:41 am 

Are you getting spark at the coil? If so you may have a bad rotor. if not you need to chase down the no spark issue.

The base engines are the same for the 89 and 92, its the electronics that are different. You need to keep all the electronics for the car you are putting the engine into. The distributor is one defference. You need to keep the dist. that was original to the car since it matches the computer. I usually leave the intake in the car and bolt it to the head in the car. Its a little more diffficult but reduces the chance of getting connections wrong or missing something.

I took the engine out of a 92 wagon with an automatic and put in my 90 5 speed vert. I swapped the flexplate for the flywheel and clutch and used my original distributor. As mentioned above I left the intake in the car. It fired on first turn of key.

There is a diffecence in computers between auto and manual too.

There are threads on here about swapping engines between the different Mk versions and about swapping from automatic to maunal transmissions. Its not always as simple as changing the big and odvious parts. There are many little things that go along with it. Just do a little research. The answers are out there.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11 am 

Use the 92 intake and distributor. The computer provides the spark advance on the 92, the 89 has it all in the distributor.

I sold this car to a friend at work. I now have a Saturn L which is an Opel Vectra B.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 am 

Thank you I switched out the distributor and she fired rite up and roared like a lawn mower.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:05 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the real basis for your problem was that the ignition module in the older distributor is incompatible with the later model electronic controls.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II