TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:49 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:47 am 

Hey everyone, My name's Gavin, I'm from South Australia, Australia.

To cut a long story short, my 89 Skyline was becoming too expensive to drive to work everyday, I wanted a cheap car to run about in.

So I bought a 91 Holden Barina, 1.3litre Carby, for $300, with absolutely no knowledge of how it worked, or having ever owned a front wheel drive.

The only knowledge I had of the car, was the clutch was beyond gone, and it hadn't been serviced in 4 years. BEASTMODE!

So basically my plan was to do a quick repair, and then drive it around until it died and then hopefully be at a point ready to go back to driving my Skyline around again.

I decided to add some things that would personalize the car and give me a reason to enjoy approx 20fwkw instead of 180rwkw...

I changed the plates to suit my Skyline:

Scored some GTI seats and wheel (MK2)

And thus; Daily!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 am 

So I thought that would do me, but no.

1. I hand built my skyline from a bare shell, I am a car guy and I love to tinker, and I love a project

2. I suck at carbies. Just cannot get the things to agree with me, call it a generational issue if you want, but yeah, I'm 27 and cannot get my head around the sodding things.

cue; G13B!

This car had a minor prang in the front, had a leaky water pump and bald tyres, and the owner was not interested in being it's owner anymore.
$50 and the most terrifying drive across town I've had in recent years, it was mine!

It took me a few months, some hoarding of parts and the discovery that my Barina was in translation a MK2 swift, and thus I needed to source a new loom as the donor was a Mk3 and I finally re-registered my skyline, rolled the barina into the shed and had far too may alcoholic beverages with my mates.

Chucked new wheels on and got keen!

First up, decided the wiring to the fuel pump could be upgraded whilst I had a moment.

Then kicked this lemon out!

Started setting up the new motor;

Then last weekend chucked it in!

However I have hit a small snag, somewhere along the way, I have mixed up what I am doing with alternators and have ended up with this as a result:
however I have no idea how I got here, but next weekend I'll try figure out the difference in brackets and why this looks like this haha.

Anyway,
That's my story as it is.

The end result should be a more pleasant to drive, pokier, faster and more reliable daily commute car that I can most likely get a bit of fun out of :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:27 am 

Scored myself some shed time this morning, within moments I realised the G13BA alternator is a 3 rib pulley, the GTI one is a 4 rib.

So I swapped the regulator & brush set over into the GTI one and plonked it in.

Adjusted the clutch whilst I was at it, and then ran out of time to do much more.

Tomorrow I'll put the driveshafts & radiator back in and give it some liquids, then attach the wiring loom.

hopefully next weekend I'll be starting it, I need to swap the fuel tanks over still, and need a new fanbelt.

Woo-hah!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:50 am 

http://youtu.be/Tz6Hl6rhtjM

Huzzah!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:10 am 
Teamswift Racer

Nice, are you going to swap over the other gti parts to make it a '5dr Gti'?

Engine is pretty tapity, should quiet down but something thin like Nulon 5w/30 will help.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:49 am 

I swapped the brakes, shocks and front swaybar over a while back, drive shafts also.

I have the seats and a MK2 wheel in there also.

I was quite pleased that the exhaust lined up perfectly, now i just have to put the panels and dash back in.

Hoping it will quieten up after a couple of goes, I have Penrite HPR10 in there, should go alright.

I'm loving how simple this has all been!