TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:47 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:17 am 

Hey guys, on the underside of the coil bracket, there is a small box, I think it would be a noise suppressor at a flying guess, and as per the picture, the other end of the wire isnt plugged into anything on my car...

what does it plug into?

I've discovered that it seems to be only on MK2 GTI Dohc cars, but I really don't know where it goes, and it is the last thing I need to plug in before I can start my car!

download/file.php?id=24846

it is also in this picture too.

cheers,
Gavin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:10 pm 

it is indeed a noise suppressor/filter to be honest i have no clue where they go, i've never ran it in any of my GTs and i've never had a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:09 pm 

See if your transmission has one of these:
Any idea what the different parts are?

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:33 pm 

OH SNAP!

That makes sense haha, it does indeed!

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 am 
Suzuki Elder

the 2 wire monolithic component in your pic is a straight up diode. it shunts the flyback voltage from the coil to chassis ground.

the prong that's indicated in phil's pic is a chassis ground along with a place to attach the engine wiring harness loom.

the actual noise suppressor is wrapped into the loom and clips to the left strut tower. it's function is to provide a ground path for the coil primary while splitting out a lightly conditioned signal to drive the tachometer and to provide the ecu with a proving signal that an ignition event has occurred. the noise suppressor has 3 wires, one to the coil, one to chassis ground, and the signal wire which is brown and runs back into the wiring harness.

the diode and the noise suppressor both help to clean up the electrical noise that gets generated by the big transistor in the outboard ignitor and the collapsing magnetic field around the coil.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:42 am 

thank-you very much for that info, I'm going to get some quality shed time in on the weekend, i'll clip it onto that chassis ground and go for final check over.

fingers crossed I haven't forgotten or missed anything, I can't wait to drive it!