TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm
Posts: 11
Location: maryland
I'm new to the forum, found it while looking for 1 liter engine for my ground up build of light weight car. Making frame from Carbon Fiber and shooting for 4 seater car with curb weight of 1,000 lbs. My question is this do you think it is possible to Take a the 1 liter Geo Metro engine and turn it so it can be placed in rear of car and turn it 90 degrees? Looks like I could come from the trans on the driver side and modify the drive shaft and attach to my rear gear box. I know would have to move the wiring harness and computer but that should work right. How about rotation of shaft to the rear, that would still be clockwise and work with standard rear right? I know the engine would not be in center but could off-set that since engine is so light.

That's the main thing I need to know since without that I have to go another route. If that works then can look at using other parts from Geo such as steering and suspension.

Thanks for any feed back. I know this is out there but figured you guys would be the ones who know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:46 pm
Posts: 883
Location: Arizona
There is rear wheel drive 5 speed transmission available for G13 and G10 engines out of Samurai. There is no problem rotating this engine to North-South position but why use FWD transmission and complicate your life when RWD is available


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
@ssclown

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:58 am
Posts: 756
Location: not here
svsvsv@aol.com wrote:
My question is this do you think it is possible to Take a the 1 liter Geo Metro engine and turn it so it can be placed in rear of car and turn it 90 degrees?


Why turn it 90 degrees? Why not do nothing to it and just transversally mount it and its transmission in the trunk like in a first generation Toyota MR2? If you're building a four seater and the passengers are sitting side by side rather than in each others laps then you've got the width. If you lengthen the car by mounting the engine longitudinally then you will be needing stronger, and therefore heavier, frame members making it more difficult to achieve a 1,000 lb. car.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm
Posts: 11
Location: maryland
DTM GTi wrote:
There is rear wheel drive 5 speed transmission available for G13 and G10 engines out of Samurai. There is no problem rotating this engine to North-South position but why use FWD transmission and complicate your life when RWD is available


That sounds like the right approach will take a look. Thanks for your input will post what I find.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm
Posts: 11
Location: maryland
coasterII wrote:
svsvsv@aol.com wrote:
My question is this do you think it is possible to Take a the 1 liter Geo Metro engine and turn it so it can be placed in rear of car and turn it 90 degrees?


Why turn it 90 degrees? Why not do nothing to it and just transversally mount it and its transmission in the trunk like in a first generation Toyota MR2? If you're building a four seater and the passengers are sitting side by side rather than in each others laps then you've got the width. If you lengthen the car by mounting the engine longitudinally then you will be needing stronger, and therefore heavier, frame members making it more difficult to achieve a 1,000 lb. car.


I am considering that but putting weight behind the rear axle may also be a problem. These engines are so small they don't take much space or for that matter weight. Since the frame is carbon fiber not talking much weight for longer. Using a stretched out "VW Bug" for my model.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 625
Location: texas houston
Here is something similar to what your asking no the same but similar viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9156&start=475


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm
Posts: 11
Location: maryland
RP91gt wrote:
Here is something similar to what your asking no the same but similar viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9156&start=475


Yea that's a nice build but not very similar to what I have in mind. Will have RWD with engine in rear to be able to narrow the front for aerodynamic's. That car is also very heavy at 900 kg over 2,000 lbs I hope to be half of that. That is a high performence build and I'm looking for mileage.

Thanks for the tip may help with suspension.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm
Posts: 11
Location: maryland
svsvsv@aol.com wrote:
coasterII wrote:
svsvsv@aol.com wrote:
My question is this do you think it is possible to Take a the 1 liter Geo Metro engine and turn it so it can be placed in rear of car and turn it 90 degrees?


Why turn it 90 degrees? Why not do nothing to it and just transversally mount it and its transmission in the trunk like in a first generation Toyota MR2? If you're building a four seater and the passengers are sitting side by side rather than in each others laps then you've got the width. If you lengthen the car by mounting the engine longitudinally then you will be needing stronger, and therefore heavier, frame members making it more difficult to achieve a 1,000 lb. car.


I am considering that but putting weight behind the rear axle may also be a problem. These engines are so small they don't take much space or for that matter weight. Since the frame is carbon fiber not talking much weight for longer. Using a stretched out "VW Bug" for my model.


Attachments:
File comment: After looking at this some more I think transversally mounting in truck is the way to go, Weight from what I can tell most of the weight will still be in front of axle. Also think I can work out the shift linkage to go with 5 speed had only considered auto to this point. Couldn't find a good picture of the GEO Metro
800px-Suzuki_LC10W_Engine_001.JPG
800px-Suzuki_LC10W_Engine_001.JPG [ 120.5 KIB | Viewed 3974 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm
Posts: 11
Location: maryland
The GEO Metro I3 is the way to go will work on sketch of rear set-up. Also should have a sample of my axle structure for strength testing in next couple days.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:40 pm 
Offline
Teamswift Racer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:56 am
Posts: 2328
Location: Christchurch NZ, quake capital
svsvsv@aol.com wrote:
I am considering that but putting weight behind the rear axle may also be a problem..


The engine will actually be in front of the rear axle, it's still a reasonable amount of weight on the rear wheels though, I think my twin cam+ box complete with everything on it was 125kgs, G10 will only be 10kgs less.
I've got a long term ariel atom type project on the go so have looked at this.
If economy is the real issue then perhaps looking at getting an imported K10 and box, it's suzuki's latest 3 cyl twin cam 1.0, chain driven cams, puts out 68bhp standard and the box is cable shift.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=55213


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm
Posts: 11
Location: maryland
Dattman wrote:
svsvsv@aol.com wrote:
I am considering that but putting weight behind the rear axle may also be a problem..


The engine will actually be in front of the rear axle, it's still a reasonable amount of weight on the rear wheels though, I think my twin cam+ box complete with everything on it was 125kgs, G10 will only be 10kgs less.
I've got a long term ariel atom type project on the go so have looked at this.
If economy is the real issue then perhaps looking at getting an imported K10 and box, it's suzuki's latest 3 cyl twin cam 1.0, chain driven cams, puts out 68bhp standard and the box is cable shift.
http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=55213


My research showed the I3 engine at 135 lbs (62kg) and trans at 60 lbs (30 kg) mostly aluminium. Don't think I will need the extra power of turbo if I can keep the weight that I am projecting.

But your right looks like the weight will be just in front of rear axle. Do you think I will have a problem with making the shifter linkage on a manual trans?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:17 am 
Offline
Teamswift Racer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:56 am
Posts: 2328
Location: Christchurch NZ, quake capital
The weight I quoted was complete, ready to drop into the back of our chassis, included quad throttle bodies and tubular 4-2-1 exhaust, fly wheel, clutch, all brackets and poly mounts. it only needed a short exhaust/muffler and ecu wiring.
The G10 is slightly lighter obviously due to one less rod, shorter crank, single cam and no intermediate shaft.
Just for a comparison we weighed my mates Honda ZC16 motor and box which is what we were originally going to use and it weighed 165kgs, a full 40kgs more and thats an all alloy motor as well.

The gear linkage is a bit of a pain, you'll need to make a double linkage to reverse the controls, just make sure you have a clear path under the car to the shift linkage, cable shift gearshift is infinitely easier since the cable connection is at the top of the box, also you might want to convert the clutch to hydraulic depending on your pedal box, a hydraulic slave cylinder and arm off a Esteem/Aerio will bolt onto the g series gearbox.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:10 pm
Posts: 880
Location: Vancouver, WA
coasterII wrote:
svsvsv@aol.com wrote:
My question is this do you think it is possible to Take a the 1 liter Geo Metro engine and turn it so it can be placed in rear of car and turn it 90 degrees?


Why turn it 90 degrees? Why not do nothing to it and just transversally mount it and its transmission in the trunk like in a first generation Toyota MR2? If you're building a four seater and the passengers are sitting side by side rather than in each others laps then you've got the width. If you lengthen the car by mounting the engine longitudinally then you will be needing stronger, and therefore heavier, frame members making it more difficult to achieve a 1,000 lb. car.



the transmission is not in the trunk on the MR2. its exactly the same as a FWD car but the engine/trans happens to be behind the seats instead.

_________________
98 swift 1.6 16v swap
03 cobra bolt ons
97 3000gt vr4 e85, high comp, bolt ons
too many others to list


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:49 am 
Offline
@ssclown

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:58 am
Posts: 756
Location: not here
VR4 wrote:


the transmission is not in the trunk on the MR2. its exactly the same as a FWD car but the engine/trans happens to be behind the seats instead.


The trunk is behind the seats and the engine and transmission are in the trunk. Maybe you have seen some sort of different MR2 to the one I looked at in a wrecker's yard. The trunk lid behind the back window behind the two seats was open and the engine and transmission were in the trunk. And the engine block looked exactly the same as the engine blocks in all four of my Corollas.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:53 am
Posts: 28
Location: San Antonio Texas
I think the G10 and 5 speed with a cable shifter would work well mounted mid-engine. I'd not consider a 4 seater. Diagonal seating for two, one of the seats slightly offset to the rear for a little more elbow room and some extra floor space for climbing inside the roofless car. The car would be narrow in the windshield and somewhat wedge shaped. I think the sub-1000 pounds is a reasonable goal.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group