TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:28 pm 
@ssclown

What is the biggest cubic centimeter displacement engine that will fit into the 1990 geo metro 4 door sedan? It already has a 1.3 litre engine in it so would a 1.5 litre geo Prizm engine be a straight bolt in with no welding or cutting or fabricating? Is there a 1.6 engine that would be a straight bolt in? Anything bigger? I want to put a bigger engine into my 1990 geo metro 4 door sedan then add turbo to it. I assume a G13b DOC is a direct bolt in but if I'm doing all that work I might as well put in the biggest engine that's a direct bolt in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:23 am 

1.3 Dohc or 1.3 Sohc 16v nothing bigger is a direct bolt in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:15 am 
Teamswift Racer

Worldwide the swift sedan was offered with G16 16v sohc, in theory you should be able to use a j18 and box with the right parts but I suspect you'd still need to fab up a rear engine mount.
I wouldn't boost a g16 though as it has a noodle crank, g13 twincam is much stronger.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:36 am 
@ssclown

Thanks hotrodray and thanks Dattman, I thought something bigger might be a direct bolt in but I guess I was mistaken. The reason I ask is because I want something more powerful and fast than my stock G10 Mark1 turbos and putting a G13 into a Mark1 is a lot of work just to make the engine fit, such as custom length driveshafts, modified trans crossmember etc. , let alone adding a turbo to it. I was thinking I could save a bit of the engine fitting work by using my '90 Geo4 door sedan which already has a g13 in it.( And its a g13 with a screwed crank so its needs a new engine anyway) But I don't really want to use it because its 210 pounds heavier, meaning 210 pounds slower. So I was thinking a bigger engine would compensate for the extra 210 pounds. But if putting a bigger engine in is anything more than difficult than a straightforward bolt in thenI am going to stick with putting a G13DOHC into a Mark1 Forsa, Sprint or Firefly turbo ( I have 4 of them with blown cylinder head gaskets and another with minor electrical issues).
And another reason I have reconfirmed my original idea of putting a 1.3 DOHC turbo into a Mk1 is tonight I was trying to park my '98 Chev Metro 4 door sedan into some spots on the street and in the dark it felt like I was trying to moor an aircraft carrier so I passed them up. These are spots I can wiz my little Mk1s into with my eyes shut. So I am back to my original idea of putting a 1.3DOHC into my MK1 and turboing it. Its going to be a lot of work, but it'll be worth it because when I'm done I will have an awesome machine, not some porky overweight slower slug that I'm not going to be happy with because I know I cut corners.
Thanks again, hotrodray and Dattman, for the info.
Addendum, to Dattman, that's interesting the sedans had 1.6s in them everywhere but here, how much would it cost to put a stronger crank into a 1.6 litre J series engine? I know where I can get a complete and running but slightly banged up Esteem with either a 1.6 or 1.8 litre ( I can't remember exactly what it was)in it for less than 500 bucks. I can also get a good used just about any kind of engine with just about everything attached to it for about 200 bucks 'cause I'm in good with the manager of a local wrecker. ( slightly older engines though, not brand new Dodge Viper engines or that sort of thing.) A turbocharged 1.8 litre in a stripped down and lightened Mk1 should be a pretty quick car. And I've got Mk1s turboed and not, up to my ears, so chopping one up a bit is no big deal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:17 am 

There was a swift with 1.6 in 1989 but very hard to find. As far as I know it was only in Canada not USA.It was a 1989 GLX 4dr hatch. If you could find 1 of those it would help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:24 pm 
@ssclown

^^^^^ That would be a score, I'll phone around and look around for one of those.