TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:57 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:05 pm 

My car has 266000 miles on it and its time for a fresh motor. I'd like to use a 1.3 twin cam. I need to know what parts do I need to make the job go as painlessly as possible for the convertible. My car has the 3 speed automatic and I'd like to keep the auto trans if I can. I'm not trying to make a performance car. The 3 cyl just doesn't have enough power to make me happy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:16 pm 

All the information should be here. My recommendation is always the same, find a complete donor car and start swapping. There is so many little parts, a donor is the best way to go by far if at all possible. It isn't awful, but be aware that it is a fairly big job and will be time consuming.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:53 pm 

Look for t3 ragtops swap. It is a great. I am currently getting ready the same swap! Been collecting parts for a while. Plus I have a complete car might as well do upgrades while doing swap. Also always remember it is never as simple as it looks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:23 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i've done a number of twincam swaps to verts but i've never done an automatic (except to swap it to a manual as part of the power unit change.)

i had an 89 swift gti automatic before and i sort of like the twincam/ auto combination on the highway and in the city, as a cruiser. it's an easily driven combination, just not as quick as a 5 speed car.

you can certainly drop an entire suzuki swift power unit and associated control into a vert without any problem. you need everything from the engine to the ecu, including the engine wiring and atcu (transmission control unit.) to use the gt axles you need to use the gt knuckles and brakes on the front. as long as you're that far along, swap the rear brakes, too.

the gt transmission is the same as what you have, the atcu has different programmed shift points based on rpm and calibrated for the ignition pulse from a 4 cylinder. you can get away with keeping the vert brakes if you use axles from a swift sohc 8v. i think those were designated as a ga or gs. the big difference there is the front wheel bearings but they will accept the longer splines on the axles.

i use and recommend the wire splice technique for dealing with mating the gt engine wiring with the vert chassis wiring. there are only or 7 wires to deal with that way and it's less of an ordeal than swapping to a gti front chassis wiring harness which involves contortions to work up under the dash removing and replacing harnesses and removing both front fenders to string harnesses.

check my project thread. i think it pretty much covers the swap in a 5 speed with details and pics.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=53431

if you get into your swap and have specific questions, teamswifters will step up. :ez_smokin:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II