TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:04 pm 
King of Pompous

1.3 SOHC to 1.3 DOHC Swap

Differences between Pre-95 and 95+ 1.3l 8v SOHC heads

More to come...

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Last edited by m on Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:50 pm 

Thank you GeoZukiGTi and 94GeoMetro.
Once agin you guys rock.

I need some more please.

The gti is auto . Can the metro clutch and fly wheel fit the gti motor.?

I read that there was only a small gain, and mostly show by changing the rear drums to disc. Your opinion please?

Do I need to use the gti fuel pump?

The metro has a small gas tank leek. Will the gti tank fit the metro?

I may seem to happy but you guys are real saving me time .
Better than trial and erreor.\

Thank you for your time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:56 pm 
banned

gti tank will fit the metro
metro fuel pump wont run a gti motor
metro clutch and flywheel woudl fit but a gti one has a larger surface area so more grip 8)
no gain at all from rear discs theyre more expensive but they do look cool and run cooler drums have more stopping power

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:13 pm 

since when do drums stop better then discs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:59 pm 
Suzuki Elder

ever since physics dictated laws like frictional surface area, swept area, principles of rotational masses, etc.

'brakes is brakes' and they all work by applying pressure to a friction surface that clamps on the rotating device. you can develop more clamping force over a larger surface area with the drum brakes than you can with the disc brakes in this instance and the net effect is that the braking forces are so very close on the rear wheels using either style that there is no gain in braking effect from the drum system to the disc system on our cars.

that is not to say that you can't improve the overall brake system on the cars. we use little tricks like using the larger diameter front rotors from the verts and later model cars or by going to the even larger gt front discs where you can mix and match axles, knuckles, etc. turbine tech has the ultimate braking system available for our cars.

there is no particular magic endowed on disc brakes that makes them stop a car better than drum brakes but there are some advantages to them. they can be less complex, have fewer parts, fewer springs, and thus be cheaper to manufacture. they are also slightly easier to service (rotor over hubs, not those gawd awful standard metro front brakes! :-P )
i've owned some old cars that had awesome drum brake systems that could haul a 2 ton car to a stop in short order.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:03 am 

I know this awesome FAQ list hasn't been updated since 2004, but I was wondering if we could add the following post:

Differences between Pre-95 and 95+ 1.3l 8v SOHC heads

The question seems to come up often enough and there really isn't a good way to search for it (believe me I've tried). Anyways, I get tired of posting it to folks over and over again and I know I don't get a chance to let everyone know of the dangers/problems and this might just save some folks a headache or two.

Anyways, even if it doesn't get added to the top of the list, maybe someone will find it down here...

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:43 am 
King of Pompous

done :)

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:16 pm 

You are dead wrong on the disc breaks. Disc breaks always out do drums. Yes you have more pad on drums but your forgetting BIG thing, disc breaks compress the rotor between its pads, the harder you press the paddle the more the compression. Drum breaks on the other hand you can only press so hard, after a certain point the drum starts to expand (that’s the law of HEAT) That’s why you have truck run a ways on large hills.
The drums get so hot and expand so much that the pads can’t reach the drum anymore.
Disc breaks may have smaller pads but they can by far put more presser out on the rotor than drums can.

That’s why they stopped putting drums one the front ends, they suck and there unsafe.

Commercial buss by LAW have disc breaks all the way around and have been that way for years.

If you don’t believe me ask the pros

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:21 pm 

likea_dream wrote:
You are dead wrong on the disc breaks. Disc breaks always out do drums. Yes you have more pad on drums but your forgetting BIG thing, disc breaks compress the rotor between its pads, the harder you press the paddle the more the compression. Drum breaks on the other hand you can only press so hard, after a certain point the drum starts to expand (that’s the law of HEAT) That’s why you have truck run a ways on large hills.
The drums get so hot and expand so much that the pads can’t reach the drum anymore.
Disc breaks may have smaller pads but they can by far put more presser out on the rotor than drums can.

That’s why they stopped putting drums one the front ends, they suck and there unsafe.

Commercial buss by LAW have disc breaks all the way around and have been that way for years.

If you don’t believe me ask the pros

you're both right... sort of...on a tiny car the total surface area of the stock disc (even counting both sides) is smaller than that of the brake drum. Since we aren't trying to stop 40 tons, I don't see a problem with overheating. You would gain no major advantage in braking power in the matter of disc vs drums in this situation.

That's the reason Semi trucks use drum brakes, There is a lot more surface area (22.5" wheels), thus more stopping power. Disc brakes can't handle the load as well as drums. Sometimes trucks lose their brakes going down hills for a combination of reasons. Usually poorly maintained equipment or a bad driver that doesn't downshift properly. I have been a professional truck driver and know these statements to be true. It's on the test.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:40 pm 

No the reason Semi trucks use drum brakes is because they are cheaper, (alot cheaper). They are trying to get the trucking industry to go disc but it doesn't look like its going to happen an time soon. I would agree with you that most of the it is driver not knowing what hes doing and bad brakes, but the ones that ran away would have had disc they would have had brakes all the way.

As for being a professional driver I drove for 18 years, owned my own truck and trailer and now work on them for a living.

The reason you dont see much of a defference when you put disc brakes on the the back is because of the proportioning valve.

If you change the back breaks from drum to disc you better change the proportioning valve as well, or when you try breaking on wet or icey roads you might get a surprise. :shock:

My truck when it hit a 1,000,000

Attachments:
1000000 Miles 1.jpg
1000000 Miles 1.jpg [ 528.92 KIB | Viewed 807 times ]