TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:39 pm 

Ellis no gm is general motors chevy,saab,holden.Maybe a ford can be modified.
Stock 55AMP @ 2000rpm i guess it's way to small!!! an the wiring in are cars is KAKA!

CS130 is 105AMPS
@ Idle is like 50AMPS then by 2000RPMS up you get 80-110AMPS just a guess.

Works out great!

You can get them on ebay for cheap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:41 pm 

mijerseyswift wrote:
Ellis no gm is general motors chevy,saab,holden.Maybe a ford can be modified.
Stock 55AMP @ 2000rpm i guess it's way to small!!! an the wiring in are cars is KAKA!

CS130 is 105AMPS
@ Idle is like 50AMPS then by 2000RPMS up you get 80-110AMPS just a guess.

Works out great!

You can get them on ebay for cheap

so what cars are these which i can steal out the alternator from the junkyard ? what's the best idea to get mine re-wound, buy new at lordco, used, ebay ?

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:46 pm 

I found some on http://www.car-part.com from a 1993 LeSabre for CHEAP.

1988 Chevrolet Sprint (Forsa clone) 3Tech cam and underdrive pulley, MSD 8mm wireset, shaved head, Weber 32/36 carb, Honda short shifter, KYB Gr2 suspension, Summit tach and gauges, Pilot steering wheel, NEW! Summit Multi-spark CDI
Project Page
1993 Geo Metro Only mods so far are a Honda short shifter, Glowshift tach and a 3a Racing ricer muffler (freebie)
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:49 pm 

1995Firefly4dr just look in the forum under my post in stereo,alternator section..ETC or just type alternator an find my post it's all there part #'s instructions..ETC

i installed mine last week and it's lovely "MORE POWER" i have fog's 60 watts,"GM" "LED" third brake light,500 watt amp,1 Farad Capicator,LED in guage cluster,LED lights mounted in the inst bezel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:14 pm 

thanks swift13b it's all there. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:46 am 

This is a double post, but this thread has more info than the other one i posted in.
The best looking 105a alternator I have found so far is from a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais with a 2.5. Use one of the aftermarket alternator brackets. It has the same diameter hole-to-hole as a stock 55a alternator. The Autozone part number is 1346-4-3.

1988 Chevrolet Sprint (Forsa clone) 3Tech cam and underdrive pulley, MSD 8mm wireset, shaved head, Weber 32/36 carb, Honda short shifter, KYB Gr2 suspension, Summit tach and gauges, Pilot steering wheel, NEW! Summit Multi-spark CDI
Project Page
1993 Geo Metro Only mods so far are a Honda short shifter, Glowshift tach and a 3a Racing ricer muffler (freebie)
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:05 pm 

I may behind on this, but I just noticed that JonesRacingProducts was listed! I actually know where his shop is. I used to work on CJ's Corvette. He is a really nice guy. Nice family run business. If people are interested, I could see what kind of deal he would give me on some of the pulleys...if you all know what you're looking for.

Post some messages if there is interest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:14 pm 

HI THERE, I MAKE ALTERNATOR CONVERSION KITS FOR THE 1.3L SUZUKI SAMURAI AND THE 1.6L SUZUKI SIDEKICK,GEO TRACKERS.I HAVE A GOOD RESOURCE WITH A ALTERNATOR SHOP AND WITH MORE INFO ON JUST WHAT ENGINES YOU ALL ARE LOOKING TO UP THE AMPS I WOULD PURCHASE A ENGINE FROM THE JUNK YARD AND MAKE A CONVERSION KIT. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:42 am 

Does anyone know if the 1999-2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara alternator will simply bolt in with out changing brackets, pullies and other stuff. I have a normal 3cyl with no amps or other stuff? Just little more electrical power than stock would be a nice help. Thanks, Shimaze

1999-2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara..........1996 Geo Metro
Image.....Image

• 2001 S10 Xtreme
  • 1996 Impala SS
  • 1994 Camaro Z/28
  • 1988 Honda NX650
  • 1980 Honda PA50
Shimaze's cars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:12 pm 

shimaze wrote:
Does anyone know if the 1999-2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara alternator will simply bolt in with out changing brackets, pullies and other stuff. I have a normal 3cyl with no amps or other stuff? Just little more electrical power than stock would be a nice help. Thanks, Shimaze

Let me start by saying I have not tried this - but - I was by my buddy the other day and they were pulling the engine out of a Grand Vitara of that vintage (don't know exactly what year), the one with the H27 (2.7 litre, quad cam V6) engine.

I seem to recall the alternator having a single wide mounting ear at the bottom where our alternators have two ears - and looking at the pictures you provide the electrical connectors are different.

It might be possible to use it with a different bracket and a cut & splice of the connectors, but I don't think it's going to be a simple bolt-in.

Try the alternator from the Baleno/Esteem - I think that's what's on my car right now - it does have a 4 rib pulley rather than the 3 rib, but the back 3 ribs (or grooves) line up just fine and I am running it with a 3 rib belt.

Edit - it seems we had a different Baleno/Esteem down here - ours came with the G13BB engine, not the G16. I check NapaOnline and they show an alternator very similar to the one I saw on the Grand Vitara, with a single wide lower mounting ear.

Sorry for getting your hopes up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:11 am 

can i put a 70 amp alternator to the gti?? it is supouse to have a 55 amp, any help??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:13 am 

I have successfully installed a 105a alternator on my MK1. I used the same alternator I mentioned before from the Oldsmobile Calais. I purchased a lower bracket from Ebay that was designed for a Samurai. That was a mistake because it was way too long and made the alternator hit the firewall. After I cut it down to the same dimensions of the original alternator bracket, it fit quite nicely. Now comes the trouble with the top bracket. I have a temporary solution for now, but I have a better idea that I will post pics of when I get it put on later in the week.

Project Page
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:25 pm 

I got the new top mount built and installed today! I used a chrome universal top alternator bracket I got from Autozone for $12.99. I cut the part with the slot off and attached it to the top of the alternator. Then I cut a section from the bottom and attached it to the water pump where the original mount was attached. I put a bolt in one of the pre-made holes and through the slot for adjustment. It works perfectly.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Project Page
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:50 pm 

yes! that is great! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:15 am 

mattdodd1988sprint wrote:
After I cut it down to the same dimensions of the original alternator bracket, it fit quite nicely.

So wait... are you saying that the regular lower alternator bracket will work, or that we need the samurai bracket, but, have to cut it down?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:41 pm 

The original will work if you modify it a little. That part is explained earlier in this thread. I just cut the one I bought to the same size, but it is positioned farther forward on the engine.

Project Page
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:47 pm 

bigbear1969 wrote:
... are you saying that the regular lower alternator bracket will work, or that we need the samurai bracket, but, have to cut it down?

i got a 92 GM from a Buick Century today. and a spare mount from 1999 4 cyl metro. the 95 was the same. and my 94 GT is the same.

Amazingly the distance from the upper to lower bolt holes is the same 6.25".
And the the lateral distance from the closest rib to the lower tab is the same. 0.710"
it looks like it will fit fine with 2 modifications.

1. remove some from the alt bottom to fit the bracket the same. the original alt flange is 0.809" thick.
image_id: 16618

2. remove some from the alt top so it clears the original bracket. A 0.137" thickness washer between alt and bracket is needed to meet the bracket the same as the original alt
image_id: 16617

:!: MY PROBLEM is getting the GM alt into position. :huh:

1. i tried moving the exhaust over 1" and i need 1/2" more between the axle and steering rack. taking the tie rod loose didnt help. i hesitate to drain the trans and remove the axle.

2. i removed the intake hoses and it looks like the wiper motor or throttle body must come off !
image_id: 16623 image_id: 16622 image_id: 16621 image_id: 16620 image_id: 16619

help me obi-wan-mijerseyswift ! :alien:
does yours have AC lines?

daily driver: red 1991 Metro 3cyl 5sp, roof rack, 8 degree advance,
got 61 mpg combined on 14" tires but i prefer 12"

completed frame up restoration: black 1994 Swift GT 5sp -- like new ! 45mpg
image_id: 15741
"respect awe-thor-i-tay!"

The Borg :alien: assimilated my race :( and all I got was a lousy nanoprobe! :ez_sick:
-- reducing the subspace quantum load on the isolinear impulse adhesion. :alien:

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:25 pm 

1.There's two brackets for the alternator i didn't use the stock gti one i used a 1.0Lt or 1997 4cyl(mk4) check the pictures.

2.It has to be installed from the top remove the throttle body & the bracket holding it fastened.

3.Yes i have a/c

4.call me anytime 678-768-6131

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:58 am 

thanks
no 97 etc was there. i like your bracket b/c it has a better anchor than my idea.
the GM is made to fit BETWEEN 2 ears.
the Suz is made with the ears to go outside the clamp.

you kept the GM BETWEEN and shifted the ears over so the belt will align. nice work
it looks like the larger dia is no problem at the engine.

i enhanced one of your pics do i could see the detail.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Borg :alien: assimilated my race :( and all I got was a lousy nanoprobe! :ez_sick:
-- reducing the subspace quantum load on the isolinear impulse adhesion. :alien:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:04 am 

by the way some Cad and Vettes have a 140A.

i looked at the 140A Cadillac Fleetwood, Deville, Eldorado, Seville. very large dia. body. The mounting holes are 180 degree apart and further apart. It would need a lot of work.

given that the GM is a tight fit, the Cad might be impossible.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:17 am 

Hey xrw44 nice write-up and pics but this maybe a dumb question but did you change the pulleys to our style because the stock pulley on the gm looks alot wider?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:15 am 

Yes thanks for adjusting the pic,i just eyeballed it had it welded and drop the alt in from the top.

The stock GM pulley is ok i'm using it with no problems when i have time i will put the suzuki pulley on and see how it goes..

The caddy alternator is huge but anything is possible that's why i chose to fab that alternator up.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:11 pm 

geofarace wrote:
Hey xrw44 nice write-up and pics but this maybe a dumb question but did you change the pulleys to our style because the stock pulley on the gm looks alot wider?

it is 2 ribs wider. we can use the inside ribs. the wider pulley will clear the frame.
the GM is slighter larger diameter.

i am still considering the lower mount.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:14 pm 

At the yard, grabbed a 2 wire plug off an older Buick Century because our GT has 2 wires. But it is wrong. It has a brn and a blk as the middle 2 of 4 pins. We need the three wire, brn, blk and red from the 92-93.

And MJS says the wiring is:
GM big Red 'S" wire to BLK/Wht Stripe -- for the indicator light. must have.
GM Brown "L" Wire to WHT/Red Stripe -- for voltage when IGN is ON
GM Blk to nothing.

With soldering iron I will melt 1/4" of the plastic off the old wires close to the blk tape.
Then wrap GM wire around and solder and tape. That way the old plug is there and a stock alt could be installed.

And our big wht wire goes on the GM threaded Bolt on the back. No change.

Last edited by xrw44 on Thu May 21, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:20 pm 

In case anyone needs it this is the GT wiring
image_id: 16592

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next