TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: chip install?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:13 pm 

i got my computer apart so i can put a performance chip in but im not sure where to install.. :? does any one have pics or know where to put it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:19 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

You are replacing the only EPROM chip on the two circuit boards. If you're installing your own chip it's very helpful to have previous electronics servicing experience. The chip will not come out until you have cleanly remove all the solder from the pins. The biggest mistake people make is to start prying on the chip when it's not ready to come out, and the copper traces rip themselves free from the board. The solder has better adhesion to the pins of the chip than the copper traces have to the circuit board.
BTW, I'm also working on an ECU chip installation FAQ so detailed instructions and pictures are coming soon.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject: Which chip?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:53 pm 

The chip you want to replace is brown in color usually also. It should have a similar label to the chip you are putting in also. I didnt take any pics and cant remember the eeprom model but the numbers permanently inked on the chip should match closely. The chip goes in the same way as the one that was in there. Look for the notch on one end of the IC and make sure the other goes in exactly the same way. A chip socket is also a good idea so you never have to solder/desolder it again. They usually cost .25 and its a good investment. If you solder something a few times it will eventually break down the traces and pads on the printed circuit board.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:34 pm 

thanks for the help everyone. i had never done any type or soldering like that befor its not as hard as it seems. i installed the chip myself and it works. 8,600 rpm is krazy :twisted: test is this sunday.