TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1.6l 16v - Megasquirt?
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:34 am 

I know I'll probably get b*tched at, but upon a few searches I haven't found much.

Looking for anybody that has done megasquirt on a 1.6l 16v from my 96 Tracker with cam sensor. Seeing as mine is fully built with D16z6 crank and all, I need a good option on engine management at a decent price. A buddy recently got a Miata with megasquirt and uses TunerStudio to tune it and it looks relatively easy. Just would like info on what all needs to be done or adapted to make it work.

I gathered that I would need a trigger wheel with more points for more adjustment. Would be interested in doing coil over plugs or a coil pack possibly. Approximatelly how much am I looking at spending?

ALL new sensors...
3 angle valve job, 1 valve replaced
Head milled .015"
PnP
Head tanked/cleaned
Ported stock intake mani
Block decked
Block inspected
ARP head studs
ARP rod bolts
Mains decked and line honed
Cylinders bored for 75.5mm pistons
75.5mm YCP Vitara Pistons
D16z6 crankshaft (mains machined down to fit G16 block, flange holes plugged and drilled/tapped for Tracker flexplate, snout machined down nearly 1/2", keyway recut, machined down for oil pump to fit, machined for thrust bearing relocation)
Nitride treatment for the crank
FJT D16 custom length i-beam rods
New oil pump
OEM size ACT Race bearings for the rods
Clevite thrust bearings
Sealed Power main bearings
Mazda e-bay cheapo turbo mani (will probably trash and make my own)
TB25 off a Saab, rebuilt (probably won't last LOL)
Ebay 'type-s' BOV. (best fake one according to the Honda guys haha)
Full gasket set
Waterpump
Gates Timing set

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:51 am 
Suzuki Elder

a megasquirt II circuit board ver. 3 kit, jimstim tester kit, and wiring harness will cost you around $400. tuner studio software is free but costs around $40 to validate so that the auto tune function works. you need to buy an intake air temp sensor and a coolant temp sensor with pigtails, around $50. you'll also need a wideband o2 unit at $200 or more.

your trigger wheel and anything except a basic ignition is on you. there's a bit of inventiveness involved with that as there's no off the shelf bits ready to bolt onto your engine. it's the same deal if you want to use sequential injection although on your 16 valve engine the cam position sensing is a little easier to pull off.

bottom line - you'd be looking at $700 with assembly/ labor of maybe 40 hours at the minimum. there's a learning curve, too, but you pick that up as you go along.

you can buy assembled units, add about $100 to $150 for the msII, $40 or $50 for the jimstim. i'd suggest buying the wiring harness already assembled if you put any value on your time.

one thing that i've noticed is that because the price of copper has shot through the roof, simple primary wire is really expensive. another thing is that the tree huggers have made it next to impossible to buy good electronics solder that's made with lead. the substitute solder that contains no lead is crap!

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:47 pm 

just realized this is an old post.