TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:57 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:35 pm 

My 99 Metro has a plastic 'cage' that fits around the shift lever fulcrum ball and acts as a bushing inside the 'cup' of the rubber-mounted shift insulator bracket. I am looking at various threads and parts catalogs that list an upper and lower shifter 'seat' with shims.

Does anyone have any pictures of this setup, or know what the breakdown is between what years/models got which parts?

I had replaced my shifter about 2 years ago with one of the cheap (<$10) short-throw shifters intended for a Honda on eBay. Unfortunately broke the threaded section off the top of the lever a few weeks back and so am in the process of replacing it again. As the shifter ball is larger on the Honda shifter than the oem Metro shifter when I installed it originally I basically opened up the insides of the plastic shift-ball cage by thinning out the 'fingers' with a dremel. This time in order to avoid the shift lever breakage issue I purchased a stainless steel B&M shifter for a same model Honda, however when I went to install it I found that the shifter ball was evidently slightly larger than the shifter ball on the cheap eBay aluminum shifter, and wouldn't fit with my previously enlarged cage, and I'm about an thin as I can go with 14 year old plastic.

Any suggestions? - Worse case scenario I was thinking of casting my own polyurethane bushing, but if there's an off-the-shelf solution that would be easier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:39 pm 

98+ models got the plastic ball/cage setup instead of metal/shim setup.

Older models' shift lever have a mild angle in the shaft near the base instead of a straight one. It makes for a more natural throw especially when shifting into fifth gear. I also cut about 5 cm. off the top of the lever and fitted a new shift ball with allen bolt retainers. Not really a short shifter, but still felt better than the stock length.

I retrofited an metal shifter from a '96 into my '00 MK4 as it seemed sturdier than the plastic one and less prone to rattles/vibration while idling in neutral.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:46 pm 

Hmm, anybody have any pictures of the older style seat/shim setup disassembled?

Does anybody have a part number for the plastic cage setup from the later cars? The only thing I could find in parts catalogs was the seat/shim setup.
Also if I end up going with the seat/shim setup, does anyone know typically how many of each shim I would need to order?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:27 pm 
Suzuki Elder

billet steel - you won't be breaking this one. :wink:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Billet-Stee ... 0b&vxp=mtr

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:08 pm 

I bought the B&M shifter which is stainless, however the pivot ball on the shifter itself is slightly larger than the stock metro shifter, AND is slightly larger than the ebay cheap aluminum shifter I had been using previously that broke. So having issues getting the B&M to fit.

I just ordered a bunch of new parts, the rubber-bonded shifter mount, the seats, replacement bottom plate, replacement boots, etc. Just got an email notifiucation though that the snap-ring that goes at the top is no longer available.

Anybody know the dimensions of this snap / retaining ring to be able to source one outside Suzuki?