TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:35 pm 
Jerkoff

I want to check the ignition timing on my 1997 Geo Metro 1.3L. Two questions:

1. How important is it to make the fused jumper for the Duty Check Data Link connector? Will I get a completely inaccurate reading if I skip this step?

2. My 1999 Geo factory service manual says the Duty Check Data Link Connector (DCDLC) is located to the left of the PCM behind the glove box; however I do not see any six-wire harness connectors that look like the one pictured in the manual. I've read some of you indicating that the connector is located on the left front shock tower but I don't see any connectors there either.

Thanks,

GMDesign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:54 pm 

I did my timing with the DCDLC connected, forgot about it, and got a CEL during the test drive. :ez_roll: It may tell the ECM not to advance the engine, you have an electronic timing advance that you don't want to interfere with setting the timing. I use a paper clip to short it.

The DCDLC is likely covered with a rubber cap.
Location of plug on my '91: Image

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:55 pm 

Which terminals should I be sticking the paperclip in?

Last edited by BlueState4Ever on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:00 am 

Well, without knowing the year of your car I'll post the 1996 hood sticker. Look in the middle of the left side of the sticker and where it says Ignition Timing you will see a line drawing resembling your connector. This is for the 1.0 engine. Check your sticker if you have one.

Unless you are doing this for emissions I'd recommend setting the timing at 8-10 deg. BTDC for a little more power and better combustion. :D

Hope that helps.

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:14 am 

Thanks. It's a '97 1.3L No EGR California car. I found the label and it's the two bottom left terminals as shown in your image. It's at 5 deg BTDC right now so I'll advance it until Smog time rolls around.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:11 pm 

You are welcome. You got it. :yeahyeah

"No EGR California car" They must have kittens when they first see that at inspection. :lol: