TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:26 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ow, my neck!
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:19 pm 

This may sound ridiculous to most of you guys but do any of you experience back/neck pain due to the seats in your car?
I don't know if it is just my 3 cyl. Firefly's seat or what but my neck has been killing me. I lent my car to my mom for a few days and she's been complaining of the same thing about neck and back pain.

So am I crazy and alone or do any of you guys experience it too? I'm thinking the seats are the cause of it.
Is there any seats I can swap in the car instead of the ones I have right now? No to little mod if possible.
I'm going to try some seat padding but I feel the car is already small seat wise (I'm only 5'10'' and 200 pounds or so but anymore and the seat is pushed completely to the back. Any more and it gets pretty short for me) and that the headrest is curved, which makes it rather uncomfortable for me. I've always been prone to back pains but never like this.. my neck has been killing me about what, a month or so after I got the car? (had it for ~3 so far I think)

Do the Metros or Swifts have different seats?

Post subject: Re: Ow, my neck!
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:27 am 

Am I the only one with that problem? I like the car but I have two options here, find a solution for seat back/neck issues or change car.. so yeah, seats about help would be good! Did older gti's have better seats? Would the rail fit directly or need some mods?

Am I in the right section for this?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:10 am 

I know exactly what you are talking about. Any more than 30 mins in the car, and my shoulders are in terrible pain. I'm looking for different seats, but haven't had any luck so far.

Available for parts: '86 N/A Chev Sprint Plus w/ 5spd. PM if interested.
Mk.1 5spd for sale: $90. PM for details.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:17 am 

i put 1999 celica seats in my 87 sprint

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:48 pm 

All japanese taxi cab seats suck.
Oddly enough, the Isuzu "Geo Storm" has really comfy chairs for dirt cheap all over the junkyards. Gotta fab your own brackets but it's worth a day of labor.

F/S 89 Swift GTi body only
F/S 92 Tracker 2 dr rwd stock
93 Sidekick 4 dr 1.9 vw TD, WVO conversion, 6" lift over 33's

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:36 pm 

87octane wrote:
All japanese taxi cab seats suck.
Oddly enough, the Isuzu "Geo Storm" has really comfy chairs for dirt cheap all over the junkyards. Gotta fab your own brackets but it's worth a day of labor.

Thanks guys!

How hard is it to fabricate brackets? I don't exactly have any welding equipment.. might try looking to see if anyone can help me with that. Or what do I need? I've never tried swapping out seats but I'm willing to try for this car!

mxmikie: Did you have to modify anything to make it fit?

wikityler: Damn right! Any of my commute is about 30 min and it's really hurting my back and neck right now since I drive a lot.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:57 pm 

The reason, i'm almost certain, is that there's not enough lower back support. On long trips, i put a small pillow in the arch of my back, and it completely fixes it.

One short trips around town, i can just arch my lower back a little, sit up straight (like my mom always told me to) and i'm fine.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:59 pm 

l4mbch0ps wrote:
The reason, i'm almost certain, is that there's not enough lower back support. On long trips, i put a small pillow in the arch of my back, and it completely fixes it.

One short trips around town, i can just arch my lower back a little, sit up straight (like my mom always told me to) and i'm fine.

I tried and it doesn't work. Then again, I've always had back problems so I need a constant check on my posture. Problem is the headrests too, they're so much in front, the seat archs my spine and the headrest pushes my neck forward so I get a stiff neck really quickly. I don't know if there was a difference in seats but I have non-adjustable headrests in my Firefly.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:49 pm 

I put 98 metro seats in my 92 vert and it made a world of difference. The earlier verts had a seperate headrest that was angled too far forward whereas the 98 has the headrest built into the seat and is alot more comfortable. Ken...

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:46 am 

91 ragtop wrote:
I put 98 metro seats in my 92 vert and it made a world of difference. The earlier verts had a seperate headrest that was angled too far forward whereas the 98 has the headrest built into the seat and is alot more comfortable. Ken...

My 98 seats were pounded out by 350lb fat asses... I mean the plastic trim pieces were sheered off the screws at the side because when the previous 'owner' sat in it, she'd cause the bottom cushions to press outward and down... The hubby was no lightweight either... The car still leans to the driver side... :lol:

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:36 pm 

So you're sayingeht MK5's seats are better? my car is a '99 with the headrests built in and they are the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in... I thought at first it'd be ok but now my back and neck are screaming in pain.

So I'm guessing there is no bolt on seat I can just swap? Can anyone tell me how to make brackets then?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:35 am 

I've had mild neck problems since about a week after I got my first 96. Had two GEN2 cars before that, but when I got my first GEN3, instant old man. I've heard that Esteem seats will bolt right in, don't know that they're any better in this regard.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:43 am 

So I just thought of GTI's seats.. the Swift GTI. They seem like they hold well in place. Anybody has any? How comfy/good are they?
Anyone got an idea if they'd fit in my '99? or does it have the potential to be bolt in? I don't think the two cars are super different but I am no expert...

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:43 pm 

Just bumping this up for the last question, anyone know if they're a direct fit? I'd hate to buy some and get them shipped here to see that they aren't...

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:17 am 

They bolt right into anything except a convertible.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:55 pm 

98-01 seats are much softer and comfortable than 94-97 seats. I had the same problem on long trips. This is what you need to fix the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:19 am 

LittleMSG wrote:
98-01 seats are much softer and comfortable than 94-97 seats. I had the same problem on long trips. This is what you need to fix the problem.

without a doubt the 98 to 01 are better! but not good enough for this old back

After the 45 min drive home when I picked up my 97 I knew had to do something. I took the seats from a 98 parts car and picked up some 1" medium density foam, added 2" to the center of the seats with 1" around the outside, a 1" lumbar piece at the bottom of the back with a 1" piece to cover that runs up to bottom of the head rest. It took a full day with the Upholstery but well worth it! they are more comfy then the wifes 05 van and my 04 pickup. I can do 4 to 5 hours before I start to ache

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:20 pm 

I have Gti seats in my 99 and I love them. From what I understand Geo/Suzuki struck a deal with Recaro and they licensed them the ok to copy the Recaro seats. So even thou they don't say it they are Recaro seats, which I like better because we all remember what happened when the Honda Prelude came out with the Recaros. EVERYBODY'S CAR WAS BEING BROKEN INTO ! For the seats. :evil: