TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 pm 

Mcmancuso wrote:
THe small wire should go to the ignition(key) and in yours I guess it goes to a cutoff switch first. If you run power from the battery right to where this goes into the starter (with the key in the 'on' position) the car should start if the problem is somewhere in that line.

Wait, sorry, what? I got lost between the wires. The wire that goes from the battery to the starter is the positive + cable. Now the small wire that is exposed/cut plugs on the metal pin thing on the starter. It's a small wire with a plastic cap that slides on the pin. That small wire seems to go into the engine block or something.
According to the wiring diagram, the small wire I'm talking about should pass through...
Controls Engine System,
then clutch pedal position switch,
then junction/fuse box (behind left dash),
then ignition switch,
finally another fuse box with the 60a and 70a fuses.

So from this, I need to replace the cable from the starter to the Controls Engine System? (which seems located on the block)

I fooled around with the wire and had to go pick up something a stretch from here. Once I got there, the car didn't start again. I had to fiddle with the wire but no luck.. started it by pushing. Once I got back to my house on the driveway (on an incline) the car started no problem. Once I got back I tried starting it five different times but nope when I go out... weird.

And yes, I'll take videos and I'll attempt pics to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about!
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate!

(sorry, sent it by pm first time. Wrong button :razz: )

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:15 pm 

Actually, people posted links on the geometro forums and I decided I can use the pics on there to try and explain myself a bit better (while I get pics of my own):
Quote:
So, the metal pin here is where I plug the small wire giving me problems (on solenoid) :

Now on this one, I am guessing the small wire is the black one going to the starter:

Now.. what is that blue wire? It has nothing to do with the starter, correct? 'cause it's definitely not on mine...

On my car, the small wire is small. The black plastic around it is also broken half way and the wire looks damaged. Also, the piece that slides on the metal pin on the solenoid is like a small plastic head. I can't crimple it. I could however cut the head off and perhaps tie the wire directly to the starter but that's a bit iffy...
I'll take pics tomorrow or ASAP to show you guys better but yeah, I am pretty sure this is what I need to replace. Now, how do I do that?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:37 pm 

The blue wire has nothing to do with the starter, looks like you're on the right track. Figure out why the starter isn't getting a signal from the ignition, follow that little wire that has the push on end, and you should get this taken care of :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:53 am 
Suzuki Elder

with symptoms like you describe you may have a bad starter barrel switch on the back side of the key mechanism or you may have a dead spot in your starter motor's armature or windings.

set a multimeter's range to 20 vdc, touch the positive lead to the stacon connector on the small black wire and the negative lead on chassis ground and turn the switch. you should see battery voltage on the meter. if you don't, look at the ignition switch. if you have good voltage displayed on the meter, suspect the starter.

i'm assuming that your battery is good and is charged. a dead cell or 2 in the battery can cause a problem.

i've had all the above problems. just replace the defective parts as required.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:52 am 

So guys, sorry for the lack of update but I've been busy.

I connected the ignition wire to the starter and tried to tighten it on the starter with some pliers. It seems to be working so far. Wire wasn't damaged after all but it still looks a bit weird. I took the car for a 5 min. run and kept trying to start it 10-15 times and it didn't have any problems. I'll run it this week and keep you guys posted about how's it going.

Here are pics of the culprit:

and now the part where the wire looks weird: (it's a bit hazy but couldn't take much better pics)

Thanks to all for the help!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:25 am 

Sorry bout ressurecting this thread. Been having the same problem with 1994 SF Swift gti g13b. cleaned all the battery and wire terminals, tested the battery, bench tested the starter, reconnected the starter: disconnected the ignition wire and put 12V at the two terminals making it turn over fine.

From doing this I have worked out that the fault lies within the ignition barrel as the wires and terminals are fine. Are there any international dealers that can supply me with a new ignition barrel as I'm struggling to get one locally (New Zealand).

Also how do I get the ignition barrel off? I cant unscrew/unbolt it off so I tried removing the steering wheel to slide it off but no dice.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove it?

Thanks.