TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:27 am 

there's an article over on Jalopnik
How To Get 99.7 Mpg From A Geo Metro

"Last May, alt-fuel and efficiency enthusiasts gathered in Watkins Glen, New York for the fifth annual Green Grand Prix expo and fuel economy rally. I entered my modified 1998 Pontiac Firefly (Geo Metro) in the rally and managed to score the top result of 99.7 mpg (US) (2.4 L/100 km / 119.7 mpg imperial) in a field of 25 vehicles — a field that included hybrids, diesels, and even a pair of Vespa scooters! How does one squeeze 99 mpg from an old Metro? Here's the recipe — mods and driving techniques — used for the event."

"The Mods
Click on each link for a detailed description.

Aerodynamics:

additional grille block (in the hood/bumper gap)
regular partial grille block
headlight gaps sealed
one (1) front wheel skirt
smooth wheel covers
radio antenna delete
passenger mirror delete (internal convex mirror in its place)
driver's mirror folded back on highway portion of route
rear wheel skirts (2!)
Kammback
washed & waxed before the event (just kidding! NOT an aero benefit!)
Drivetrain:

tires around 50 psi (embarrassingly, I didn't check beforehand)
5w20 synthetic engine oil
GM Synchromesh semi-synth transaxle oil
Metro XFi camshaft
transmission with taller final drive ratio
Electrical:

plenty of use of the shifter-mounted ignition kill switch (for pulse & glide, engine off coasting)
alternator electrically switched off past the half-way mark
daytime running lights used selectively depending on perceived risks (installed an "off" switch)
Instrumentation:"

etc, etc. check it out

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:29 pm 

I don't see any links

54 MPG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:05 am 

The link is just typed in at jalopnik

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:51 am 

bro no offence meant but I am sqeezing 22 to 24 kilometer per liter highway fuel efficiency without any of the mods. I have a true cold air intake, larger throttle body, larger air filter, cat con removed, larger end can and a home brew oil catch can using pvc hardware pipe and end caps. I keep the pressure never above 30 psi.

And I never drive with coasting and other aerodynamic mods.

Someone wanna check ? I invite , please be my guest at my cost.

However I use 10w40 shell engine oil and normal gear box oil. Regular but side gappped and indexed spark plugs.

Engine is super smooth like hot knife in the butter and can drive at 30 km / hr in 5th gear without any engine vibrations.

Its possible due to my efforts to increase low rpm end torque. Top speed is 170 km per hour. 0 to 100 km in 8.6 seconds. No turbo, no supercharger.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:35 pm 

fitsandy wrote:
bro no offence meant but I am sqeezing 22 to 24 kilometer per liter highway fuel efficiency without any of the mods. I have a true cold air intake, larger throttle body, larger air filter, cat con removed, larger end can and a home brew oil catch can using pvc hardware pipe and end caps. I keep the pressure never above 30 psi.

And I never drive with coasting and other aerodynamic mods.

Someone wanna check ? I invite , please be my guest at my cost.

However I use 10w40 shell engine oil and normal gear box oil. Regular but side gappped and indexed spark plugs.

Engine is super smooth like hot knife in the butter and can drive at 30 km / hr in 5th gear without any engine vibrations.

Its possible due to my efforts to increase low rpm end torque. Top speed is 170 km per hour. 0 to 100 km in 8.6 seconds. No turbo, no supercharger.

60 MPG (depending on US or Imperial conversion) is good. Now how do you get the extra 40MPG that he's getting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:26 pm 

60 mpg + 50 psi + tall fifth gear from baleno + engine off / coasting + wheel skirts + mirror antenna removal + rear seats & passanger seat & stepney/ toolkit removal + bumper sealing + running on non AC mode = 100 mpg.

Where is the actual gain ?

Who can drive a rev happy suzuki 1.3 like a bullock cart ?

We look at ways to add fun to driving a suzuki. Let mileage be a priority for people owning inefficient heavy cars like fiats and fords.

To me "Suzuki = unlimited fun"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:58 pm 

fitsandy wrote:
60 mpg + 50 psi + tall fifth gear from baleno + engine off / coasting + wheel skirts + mirror antenna removal + rear seats & passanger seat & stepney/ toolkit removal + bumper sealing + running on non AC mode = 100 mpg.

Where is the actual gain ?

Who can drive a rev happy suzuki 1.3 like a bullock cart ?

We look at ways to add fun to driving a suzuki. Let mileage be a priority for people owning inefficient heavy cars like fiats and fords.

To me "Suzuki = unlimited fun"

So you do what you want and he can do what he wants. Don't criticize him for it. There's probably things that you do where others may ask why (modifying your grill comes to mind) but you have your reasons, allow him his. It's a competition.

Ralph

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:59 pm 

AM EXTREMELY SORRY if i offended your sensibilities ralph, i never intended to,

My sincere apologies my friend.

If its important to someone from teamswift its important to me as well.

I have a lot of respect for everyone here.

But am still confused on the effect of air flow through the grill for making AC more efficient, Ralph. The new hood that I showed, costs me a fortune.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:14 am 

ps : i was not crticizing but wondering if a real gain in mileage under daily driving using some new technology like micro hybrid or some very innovative technology to keep the engine cooler to increase the output / input of the engine. Just curious. For example toyota prius automatically drains out hot coolant in a separate enclosure which can keep coolant hot even for 48 hours and when restarting circulates pre heated coolant saving fuel wastage during engine warming up. Am looking at such technologies to get a permanent gain in mileage, using a taller fifth gear donated by Baleno is one of them. Why not look at carbon fibre hoods, doors and using plexi glass in place of toughned and layered glass to cut down weight. Maybe using a single push button to start stop the car as in new Nissan Micra. Possibilities are immence I feel. But the idea is to keep the car looking as stock as possible from outside . What do you feel Ralph?