TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:11 pm 

Fellow Metro/Swift owners...

Just purchased a 2000 Metro for a $1000 here in Northern California. I knew it was using antifreeze due to blowing white smoke at startup...

Decided to pull head lastnight and investigate the mystery... As soon I pulled the valve cover, I discovered my dillema - a missing head bolt between cylinders 1 & 2 bottom (toward front of car) was missing [please look at pictures]! I was trying to be positive thinking "okay, maybe they lost it and didn't reinstall it" trying to psych myself out of knowing that it was sheared off in the block.... After pulling head, just as I suspected, the bolt was broken off inside of block threads.

Attachment:
Metro Engine 1.JPG

Attachment:
Metro Engine 2.JPG

Questions 1,2: Has this ever happened to any of you? What is the correct drill bit size and "easy out" to use to pull the remaing bolt out of the threads?

Questions 3,4: I have searched high and low trying to find replacement head bolts for the 1.3Ls - No luck as I only come across 1.0Ls.... Know any places/websites? Will the 1.0L bolts work for the 1.3L?

Thank you in advance. Great website!

Steve

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1997 Geo Metro 1.0L/5-Speed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:06 pm 

This place has them.
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Produc ... =SU0009701

If I look up one for the 3 cyls I get a different pn so I guess they're different.

Might see if there's another TeamSwift member that can send you one bolt.

- New bearings and 1st/2nd synchros at 440.5K miles.
- MPGuino
- Averaging ~ 51MPG these days

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:49 pm 

I had several head bolts break off on a motorcycle. The machine shop soaked each of them in WD40 for about two days. Two of them came out without machining, the third one required extra work.

2000 Chevy Metro 1.3L

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:48 pm 

Update: Thanks for the replies... Especially thank you to JellyBeanDriver who turned me on to gmpartsgiant.com... What an awesome site! I cancelled my order through gmpartsdistributor.com who didn't have some of the items I needed - like head bolts!!!! They were also less expensive.

Since it was a beautiful California afternoon, I attempted to drill out the remaining broken stud... I had a set of easy outs I forgot about laying in storage (back from the 1968 Plymouth Road Runner), so I drilled a small hole, then moved up in size... Once I hit the third drill bit size, the stud started to move!!!! Thank heavens... I grabbed an easy out and tap in into place, started rotating counter-clockwise, and pulled the stud out. What a sigh of relief.

Awaiting arrival of all parts I ordered! Even with a blown head gasket, this little 1.3L 16-valve engine really had power... First time I'd driven a Metro with the 1.3L...

Thanks for the ideas.

Steve :lol:

1997 Geo Metro 1.0L/5-Speed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:48 pm 

Metro_Cali wrote:
so I drilled a small hole, then moved up in size... Once I hit the third drill bit size, the stud started to move!!!! Thank heavens... I grabbed an easy out and tap in into place, started rotating counter-clockwise, and pulled the stud out. What a sigh of relief.

Glad I could help and VERY glad you got that broken stub out!

- New bearings and 1st/2nd synchros at 440.5K miles.
- MPGuino
- Averaging ~ 51MPG these days

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:40 am 

Make damn sure you run a M10 x 1.5 bottoming or atleast a taper tap through all of those holes, then blow them out with compressed air.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:56 pm 

These engines are notorious for puffing smoke at startup due to hardened valve stem seals(maybe worn guides as well, but so far I have done the seals only on 10+ engines and had great results). Nice work, and great luck on that bolt! Think about replacing your valve stem seals while the head is off, its tedious, but really not to difficult or expensive. They are the same seals as the 3cyls if it helps to locate them. i do them on the engine, but it would be a bit easier on a bench. Symptom is puff of smoke on startup, otherwise no oil consumption or smoke any other time.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!