TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:12 am 

Hello my name is Francisco. About two months ago i purchased what many tease my about for being my "dream" car. I purchased a Geo Metro 1996 Hatchback, it is in near perfect exterior and interior condition, it wasn't running at the time but i wasn't about to let this good deal go so i purchased it for 450, has 109k on the engine and car runs surprisingly smooth. It didn't take long before car was up and running it was a simple electrical malfunction, finding the error was quite troublesome though but none the less a quick and easy repair. (i feel bad for the guy who gave this beauty up). Although i do have my dream car i want to make it faster, at this point i'm about to enter college so i'll be very limited on funds so i was wondering what i could do to increase my cars power, to make it accelerate faster while still keeping its high Mpg to commute cheaply, i cant switch out the engine quite yet but i do plan on doing so as soon as the funds become available. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and needed. Thanks :] :mrgreen:

Also any tips as to what body kits to install to make it look even nicer would also be appreciated. thanks again! :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:27 pm 

I can pretty much say I am on the same boat as you, but with a little looking around I gathered some info up from 1987TurboSprint which I will quote...

"A lot faster for cheap? Absolutly not. Unless you can drive down hill all the time lol. Without building the motor or turning up the boost the only thing I can think of is knocking out the precat. Not sure if NY has smog checks but my sprint passed just fine without the precat and not running very well either. A 3tech cam and even the 3tech head package is a great deal, I can't wait to get mine. But the more you go there, the more you'll have to go else where. You need more air then you need more fuel and now you have more fuel so you can turn up the boost and the cycle continues. The first thing I'd do to a stock sprint is put wider tires on it and then the later vented brakes. I still think those brakes are the best upgrade I've done to my sprint. I drove the crap out of my sprint and I've had MANY close calls, too call, and I was very lucky they were just that. Thats one of the reasons I love my sprint so much, it's let me get away with a lot. Going fast is fun but those 12's don't hold very well and I don't know about everyone else but I use to have to change my front pads every couple of months before I put '97 metro brakes D/S with ceramic pads. But as far as a budget build for power goes I'd say lose the cat if you don't need it, 2-2 1/4 inch exhaust with a gutted precat, mild 3tech cam, 10lbs of boost, and high octane fuel (maybe even octane boost for 10lbs of boost). It would definatly be more fun. Hell I drove my sprint with 260,000 hard miles on it making only 1-2lbs of boost for two or three years and I had a blast in it. Good luck and don't blow it up, it gets very pricey. I'm going through that now so believe me."

It is directed towards a turbo sprint but theres some points here which might be pretty useful. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:24 am 

Yeah, thanks for replying yeah i might remove the cat in between smog checks :p Thanks for your response :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:34 am 

Well, I did have that hatchback but I sold it after keeping it for a year. I regret that! Anyway, I guess you are looking to increase your performance without compromising on your fuel economy. Removing the precat in the middle of smog checks can help but I think you should go for a cheap nitrous!