TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:03 am 

I think someone may have bolted my EGR Solenoid Vacuum Valve and Bypass Valve on upside down. I don't know if this affects the way they work or not but it's strange. I'll snap a pic when I get a chance. I am getting an EGR code and my car now stumbles on acceleration when the car is not warmed up. I've gone through the diagnostic procedures in my factory service manual and the Back Pressure Transducer, Solenoid Vacuum Valve and Bypass Valve have all failed one or more of the tests in the book. So I guess they have to be replaced, which means I need to find out the part numbers for them. The EGR valve itself passed both tests and seems to be functioning just fine.

While I was going through these tests I found it odd that the pictures in the book of these two parts were all upside down. Seemingly. While searching this forum for the part numbers (didn't find them) I saw a picture of someone's engine bay that showed them mounted as they were in the book but this was a 1.3 and I have a 1.0 98 Metro. So I'm convinced they're bolted on upside down on my engine.

Anyone have pictures of these on a 98-01 Chevy Metro 3 cylinder? Can someone tell me if these parts might not function properly upside down? And lastly anybody by chance have a parts catalog with part numbers for all 3 parts?

Thanks!

Kimo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:15 am 

This thread has a picture of the parts I'm talking about and they are also apparently mounted upside down in contrast the the vacuum diagram under the hood in the picture below that.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/678529/1/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:48 am 

Well yes, if you hook vaccuum up to the wrong side of the plunger of course it's going to run badly.

Those solenoids are basically just electro-magnets that pull down on the plunger to allow vacuum to to get through the system. If you apply vacuum to the the normally not vacuum side, the vacuum will pull the plunger back and you'll have constant vacuum bypass, which in turn will make your EGR function ALL the time.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 pm 

post edited to reflect the following:
an answer has been given on GMF.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!