TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:55 am 

as the title says, for owners of g13 8 valve SOHC cars, how did you mod your engines? at how much horsepower you got from N/A route?

can you list your upgrades and modification you did on your car? thanks :-)

or this is entirely a waste of time and money?.......................!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:32 pm 

It's not a waste of time, or money. It just depends on what your goals are.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:23 pm 

i believe my stock swift is 70 hp i just want to squeeze in at least 10 more or 20 if the budget is attainable on that level. hopefully mike you didnt forget me...... let me know about the "currrent developments" are..... i dont want to deplete my funds for more tool-buying spree :-)

right now, i have a 2" SS exhaust piping project (complete pipes).....almost there but i want to see how much i would spend more on the engine..... before i do anything else.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:54 pm 
Suzuki Elder

easy mods would be the ones like removing the throttle body bridge to increase air flow, improved air filter, spark plugs and wires, etc.

if you want to throw some cash at it, buy a cam from mike, find an aluminum under drive pulley, lighten the flywheel.

i've had the urge to turbocharge an 8 valve g13. a guy here had a super result by adapting a supercharger to an 8 valve for boost. forced induction would make that engine wake up. :D

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:38 pm 

robert, thanks,

is SRD alluminum underdrive pulley worth it?

mike, i know you are a very busy person but its been weeks you havent confirmed my "8 valve head package". can you please ans my pm. thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:04 pm 

FYI, I've been off/on with power and internet for the last few days. We got some nasty weather here, and some damage.
I don't have power in the shop, and won't have for at least another week, probably more, so I'll be trying to run off generator until then.
That's my job for tomorrow.

For your head, the easiest thing to do would be a swap over to the early style non-hydraulic rockers, and cam based on your goals.
I should still be able to do it on schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:54 pm 

I would say the best performance upgrade would be to install an MK5 intake with a wiring harness swap. Aluminum flywheel and 3tech cam, racing exhaust header.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:32 pm 

hey mike.... you made me smile when you replied... hahaha

my time goal is first week of july (i will be attending the 4th annual GEOPALOOZA in ohio)..... hopefully its attainable.....if not then i will be patiently wait for your schedule to free up to work on my head :-)

silverbullet, we have the same tranny......

its still good till probably i get ahold of a 5 speed manual, then i will be swapping it next year!

right now, i am still reading about a/f ratio tuning....... that may help increase power on these motors. its just that its a TBI. how would i tune up a TBI with distributor? its better with an EFI and e-dis with modified ecu. (but thats smokin my brains out, just trying to comprehend it. i may have the idea but, but the how-to's and skills is the problem).

true that, i may have to swap DOHC g13BB but the thing is......i want just 8 valve sohc g13 just to make it simple.
simple or not.... pls help me find links on the internet to have at least a basic idea on how to reach my goal. any help is highly appreciated. again, thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:54 pm 

update:

pulled the engine out from underneath yesterday.....

any performance parts suggestions besides the head job(definitely doing this),
alluminum pulley(still researching)?
stock pistons or go oversized(i dont have any idea how to do this -- besides that i have to have the bottom end bored out to specs of new oversized piston)?
how about ported TB and intake manifold? if doing that route, do i have to tackle tuning up my ecu?

thanks a lot guys.....

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:04 am 

The ECU may not be tunable, can you post up a picture of the circuit board so we can see whats in it? If you stick with the stock cam then the ECU should be OK, once you starting altering the torque curve then the mapping will be wrong, small shifts shouldn't be too bad - Superf1y will know what works.
The 8V engine is also fitted in the SJ/Samurai and there are a good few people running mods on those, usually a bigger carb and a set of headers gets a very good power increase. I don't know what size your throttle body is but a 1 3/4" carb works very well and thats roughly the same size (44/45mm) as a G16a throttle body.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:35 am 

Contact the guy at Maxbore.com, and see if he can bore your throttle body.

I think they are 38 mm stock. That's too small.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:53 pm 

yep, i think n545ca (gmf---- 24 hour LeMons race car ) told that you advised him to send it to maxbore.com. he told me a 39mm or 40 mm oberbore on the TBI.... ($120-- im not sure if the intake is included with the price)

i might be getting that too.... one at a time until i get the "finance" in order.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:16 pm 

picked up the head (modified rocker shaft/arm with 'mike's version of solid lifters' from mike.....

mike, thanks a lot!!! i am now a TRUE believer of 3TECH customer service. highly recommended. any prospective customer should just be patient and everything will be in order. i will definetely leave a feedback on the 3TECH performance head once everything is organized and assembled. ( which might take longer for personal reasons - summer - family time ) i just wish i can finish this project before geopalooza's.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:39 am 

I am currently running one of 3techs 395/226 cams and I gotta say I love it :D
The powerband went up from 2500-4500 to 3500-6000+ rpm, also added a nice sound when in this rev range 8)
Some simple mods I did to add some more grunt are:
- removing the throttle body bridge
- removing the lid from the air cleaner housing and attaching the filter to the lower half
- smoothing the upper part of the tbi, there is a lot of aluminium in the way of airflow, that can be removed, because it
doesnt serve much purpose http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23629
- smoothing the throttle body itself, because it has some ridges which can obstruct the flow a bit.
- advancing ignition

These mods made a nice difference performance-wise