TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:16 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blower Switch Broken
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:00 am 

I cannot quite figure out if the blower switch is supposed to come apart is these just disintegrate after a while. To cut a long story short I was troubleshooting the ac system - looks like a leak in the evaporator core. To inspect as well as test the evap core area with an electronic leak detector I removed the PCM and the blower and in doing so evidently disturbed wires including the one to the blower switch. After inspection (found damage on the evap core) and putting the system back together the blower would not work on the lowest 2 settings. I decided to investigate and pulled out the connector going to the switch from the glove box opening and the connector came out together with the upper part of the switch with the contacts coated in some form of grease.

I could not put it back without removing the control module with all the levers so I did that. The switch, the contact on the switch and this contact block came out as separate pieces. I'm not clear if they are supposed to come apart like that. I though I could put it back together but the top piece (with the contacts) does not stay pushed down and so the fan run if pushed down by hand but stops when released. Also the switch now moves freely and does not click into the specific fan speed settings.

I initially thought it would go back together but now that it does not I guess it is broken. Is it repairable or do I need a new switch. Is is supposed to come apart? The factory manual does not show the switch in this level of detail and since I did not see what it looked like before it came apart I'm not sure how it's supposed to be.

Post subject: Re: Blower Switch Broken
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:21 am 
Suzuki Elder

i have put things back in their right place and held the casing together with zip ties.

the wife's 2000 3 door had it's switch starting to feel limp and not run on high blower speed. i zip tied it before it exploded. it has been fine ever since i did that.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:52 am 

I guess I must have lost something since it feels limp now even when pressed down. Just spoke to the dealer and he says that the switch cannot be bought as an item - I have to buy the whole control assembly which is $180. I will post in the "wanted" section to see if anyone has one for sale.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:37 pm 

blue_can wrote:
I guess I must have lost something since it feels limp now even when pressed down.

:huh:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:24 pm 
Suzuki Elder

as i recall, there is a tiny spring in the sliding contact block with a little steel ball on top of the spring. the ball snaps up into detents in the top cover so that the lever firmly seats in the various positions.

the ball probably "escaped" into your dash. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:55 pm 

:shock:
t3 ragtop wrote:
your balls probably "escaped" into your dash. :lol:

:oops:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:17 pm 

Phil N Ed wrote:
t3 ragtop wrote:

:lol:

What a junk design - did a search and it seems like I'm not the first this has happened to. I will see if I can locate the balls and spring with my magnet - but still I'm not sure I want a switch tied together with zipties :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:09 pm 

blue_can wrote:
Phil N Ed wrote:
t3 ragtop wrote:

:lol:

What a junk design - did a search and it seems like I'm not the first this has happened to. I will see if I can locate the balls and spring with my magnet - but still I'm not sure I want a switch tied together with zipties :mrgreen:

Want a junk design, go look at VW's...

Change the little pisser light in the HVAC controls, you have to pull the fan speed control switch, usually the little piece of flimsy tin, will bend out, so when you put it back in, you'll get a click, then a bad feeling. It also locks the damn handle, so when you finally pull it out, it really snarl up that cheap piece of tin.. So you have to take most of the dash apart to get the assembly out, just to get back in. OH and if you don't bend it back into shape perfectly, it'll either not work or rebend itself. Now that's a shitty design.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah