TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:53 pm 

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_auto.cfm

Found the above through the search function. Need to fix a leak at the driver side top corner of the winshield and trying to get all the bits and pieces together before I remove the windshield.
What is best for installing the windshield, and does anybody know of a good product to use?
Have the side mouldings, tracking down the top moulding and have spare sheet metal for what i am sure is going to be some rust repair too(been dealing with a slowly increasing leak since shortly after buying the car in 2006), just need to track down a good sealant now.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:45 pm 

the only thing you should use to install a windshield is urethane. the butyl stays soft and doesn't have the strength to hold the windshield in.

also when you get the urethane make sure to get the proper primer and cleaners to go with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:24 am 

Thanks. going to order the supplies this week.
Hopefully I can get the windshield out whole without cracking it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 pm 
Suzuki Elder

don't forget the little plastic alignment blocks under the glass. :wink:

if you're careful when you cut the glass out, you can re-use them.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:15 am 

Thanks t3, did not know that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:29 pm 

Where did you find the moldings? I need to replace some and haven't had any luck online. - Brian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:29 am 

Had a friend who stumbled across a left and right N.O.S. when cleaning out a closed dealership a few years back. I mentioned I was looking for some and he metioned he just happened to have a pair. so we cut a sweet deal on them.

btw, he's already sold off all the other parts he found already. I already tried to see if he had anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:53 am 

Windshield replacement by a local glass company that has operated in the area for years is the best solution. Accountability will ensure that repairs of windshields meet manufacturer standards for safety, appearance and function. Price quotes are less important because insurance often covers the entire price of replacing or repairing damaged auto glass. Skilled technicians know the most effective techniques to install windshields.

Auto Door Glass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:39 am 

No. You don't....

GTDave wrote:
need to track down a good sealant

These windshields are designed to be essentially glued in place & require "a good" ADHESIVE. Any name brand urethane made specifically for windshield installation is OK. Where specified "Butyl" is "a good sealant" for the applications it's intended for.

Since you intend to R&R a good windshield I suggest you look into the special tools/techniques that prevent cracking the glass. Recyclers use a purpose made 'iron' that heats/softens the adhesive, unique knives & special wire/rope saw to safely remove windshields. To save weight windshields got thinner over the years & the use of powerful urethane adhesive has made the glass part of the structure. The combination makes it challenging to safely remove windshields.

1998 Ford F-150 4X4 XLT
1992 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau
1991 SAAB 900S 5 speed
1987 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1985 SAAB 900 Turbo SPG
1974 SAAB Sonett III
1971 SAAB 96 modified to 1980 specs
1966 SAAB 96
1960 SAAB 93F
1958 SAAB 93B
1964 Willys JEEP CJ-5
1954 Willys JEEP M-170 military ambulance
1953 Grumman Kurbside step van

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:19 pm 

hope he got it figured out over a year later....

too many others to list

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:46 pm 

Manisha23 wrote:
Windshield replacement by a local glass company that has operated in the area for years is the best solution. Accountability will ensure that repairs of windshields meet manufacturer standards for safety, appearance and function. Price quotes are less important because insurance often covers the entire price of replacing or repairing damaged auto glass. Skilled technicians know the most effective techniques to install windshields.

Auto Door Glass

No. Last time I had a windshield done, I spent the next 5 months arguing with the company over the fact that the installer stole my EZPass and used it the same day. Ended up getting the photo from the State showing the vehicle and him in it under my Pass to prove it to them.
Next time someone does a windshield for me, i will be in the shop the whole time.

And yes, I figured it out. Parts were already on hand or ordered when you posted. Of course, the windshield leaks again because the glass has separated from water intrusion from the previous leak.