TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:34 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rear wheel bearing help!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:19 pm 

99 Metro 1.0l hatchback has bad left rear wheel bearing.

The FSM shows 2 different styles of rear bearing setups, one with a replaceable hub, one with a integrated hub/drum setup.
Other than pulling it apart is there anyway to determine what came on what car? Also if it's the integrated hub/drum setup, should I just replace the drum and shoes at the same time and press the new bearings into a new drum instead of messing with the old stuff?

If the car has the integrated hub/drum setup and replacing just the bearings, is it easier to press the new bearings in or hammer them in using a driver?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:53 am 

From my experience, from 1995 on the hatchbacks have the integrated hub/drum with two radial ball bearings and the sedan models had the replaceable hub assembly. (At least in the US) If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

To verify this, you can pull just the wheel and see if the drum is seperate from the hub.

There is no need to replace the drum and pads at the same time, unless they are simply worn out, although it is nice working with new parts. If you do replace the drums, you will still need to remove at least one bearing from each old drum to get to the spacer between the bearings. This spacer keeps the inner races spaced appropriatly when the wheel nut is tightened. Without this spacer your bearings will not last.

As far as tools required go, a press will make changing the bearings easier, but when I did them on my 1997 1.0l hatch the only tools I used was a brass punch and a hammer. I just had to make sure that I did not hit the inner race while tapping them in. A hammer and a proper bearing driver will make this job quite easy.

Andrew

1996 Chevrolet Astro LT - Tow Vehical

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:16 pm 
Suzuki Elder

toolcrib pretty much covered that. just to add something, the late model sedan hubs and bearings will fit the gt knuckles/ spindles, too. i picked up a new set of the hubs with bearings installed on ebay for $44 each, shipped, when i did the 4 wheel disc swap on my vert.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:01 pm 

T3,

I thought the GTi rear hubs would work on my 1998 Chevrolet Metro Sedan, and ordered a single GTi rear hub from rockauto.com to test this theory. What I found was that the GTi hub has a larger center bore corresponding to a larger diameter spindle on the GTi. I can not remember the exact dimensions, but I have a post on GMF that is about two years old where I asked the question about the difference between GTi and late model sedan hubs.

I now own a 89 GTi, so I guess I should verify that the rear hub I purchased in an attempt to save cost on my 98 sedan will actually fit the GTi.

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited by toolcrib on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 pm 

I found my old thread on the other forum, so I coppied my conclusions below:

"Well, one of the two dimensions that I did not have got me. The bearing inner diameter is 3mm larger on the 512182 hub than it is on the 512204 hub, 28mm rather than 25mm, otherwise they are nearly identical. The only other difference is in the flange offset which pushes the wheel out 1mm. Apparently the older metros had bigger spindels on their rear knuckles. Well I have a pair of 512204 hubs on order from Rock Auto so my metro should be back on the road by the end of this weekend.

At least now I know for certain that the rear hub assemblies of older metros do not match those of the new variety."

Rear hub for late model sedan is 512204
Rear hub for GTi is 512182

Thanks,
Andrew