TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:50 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Mesa, AZ
I just bought this kit off the Bay for my daughter's 2001 Metro 1.3L. I know, it's Chinese cheap parts, but I thought I saw some torque specs and some instruction to torque one of the control arm bolts while it had the car's weight. Does anyone have detailed info for replacing all those parts. EBay kit is here http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIE-ROD-Control-Arm-Suspension-KIT-Geo-METRO-Swift-1998-/330549272035?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cf6459de3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Las Vegas
donw wrote:
I just bought this kit off the Bay for my daughter's 2001 Metro 1.3L. I know, it's Chinese cheap parts, but I thought I saw some torque specs and some instruction to torque one of the control arm bolts while it had the car's weight. Does anyone have detailed info for replacing all those parts. EBay kit is here http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIE-ROD-Control-Arm-Suspension-KIT-Geo-METRO-Swift-1998-/330549272035?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cf6459de3

to answer your question directly about the torque, In the first few pages of the service manuel like Haynes will give the torque spec based on the sized of the bolts and nuts. I just finished that exact project on my 89 Geo. Without an extend arm on your wrench, you should be more than enough by tightening them to max you can physically while keeping your thumb over the bolt you are tightening. best of luck

_________________
"with these powers, I could be a Super-Hero!"
...name the game and voice actor?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:50 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Mesa, AZ
nixmixin wrote:
to answer your question directly about the torque, In the first few pages of the service manuel like Haynes will give the torque spec based on the sized of the bolts and nuts. I just finished that exact project on my 89 Geo. Without an extend arm on your wrench, you should be more than enough by tightening them to max you can physically while keeping your thumb over the bolt you are tightening. best of luck

Thanks, did you torque one of the ends of control arms with car's weight (or both in the air)? Also, did you have to get the front end aligned after replacing all the parts (I read conflicting reports).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Las Vegas
did everything while in the air. After a bit of driving, you can re-snug the bolts if needed. I havent found it needed it though. As for the allignment. Typically, when a car is correctly alligned and then "falls out" of allignment. It will go back to being correct when the failed components are replaced. Unless you are replacing pieces that adjust the allignment like tie-rods ( I didnt replace the tie-rods on my car), you shouldnt NEED an allignment but if you feel the car pulling or just want to be certain afterwards, go for it. My car pulled wicked and jumped all over the road before I replaced all the suspension components. Once they were installed, it returned back to straight and true for me.

_________________
"with these powers, I could be a Super-Hero!"
...name the game and voice actor?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:50 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Mesa, AZ
Thanks, nix. My kit comes with
2 Lower Control Arms with Ball Joints and Bushings.
2 Inner Tie Rod Ends ( Inner Socket or Rack End ).
2 Outer Tie Rod Ends.
2 Front Sway Bar Links.

I suppose I could just install the Control Arms and sway bar links, but I kind of wanted to shotgun the whole front end. Oh well, I know a place that'll do an alignment for $40.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Las Vegas
donw wrote:
Thanks, nix. My kit comes with
2 Lower Control Arms with Ball Joints and Bushings.
2 Inner Tie Rod Ends ( Inner Socket or Rack End ).
2 Outer Tie Rod Ends.
2 Front Sway Bar Links.

I suppose I could just install the Control Arms and sway bar links, but I kind of wanted to shotgun the whole front end. Oh well, I know a place that'll do an alignment for $40.


Might as well since it is all there. When you remove the old end links, try to count how many turn or half turns it takes to remove and when you put the new ones on, do that many on the install. It wont be perfect but it will be better than guessing to get you to the allignment shop. Post up your conclusion after your install and allignment! 8)

_________________
"with these powers, I could be a Super-Hero!"
...name the game and voice actor?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group