TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:32 pm 
Island Inbreeder

OK so i bought my daughter a 1996 MK4 4dr so she could do her internship were she lives.
Her tracker is to much because it's top heavy and were she lives they get alot of snow ....ok so i bought this car without an alternator
I bought one and it wont charge any Ideas ......??..thanks ....jv&s

I looked over the wiring diagram and the two fuses on the firewall are good

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:41 pm 

there are several bench tests you can do such as testing the rectifier diodes (requires disassembly) voltage test with a hand held drill, and etc. they have detailed tests in the factory service manual and maybe later i upload them in a zip file

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:43 pm 

oh, i forgot to mention that if the charger light in the instrument panel (the battery icon) if that is open, then current cannot get to the generator to tell it to charge. you can test it manually by giving B+ to the proper wire terminal when the engine is running.
with the key set to ON, without the engine running you should see the battery icon light. if it does not, there is something open between the bulb and the generator terminal.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 am 

Here's your Christmas gift... this should help you and anyone else who has a MK4/5 charging system fault :P
FSM-generator.zip 9.9 MB http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YSNDL448

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:02 am 
Island Inbreeder

TheSilverBullet wrote:
Here's your Christmas gift... this should help you and anyone else who has a MK4/5 charging system fault :P
FSM-generator.zip 9.9 MB http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YSNDL448

Thanks man now i feel like a yard log for rubbin ya aboot your avitar

that is ah-sum I missing page 6-316

I'll go out right now and do a little troubleshooting
Lots of fun stuff I need to study....jv&s

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:14 am 
Island Inbreeder

turn key on Dash light comes on it's fricken cold and dark out now will hit it in the A,M,....jv&s

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:57 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Ok in my defence it was cold and dark when I tried to remove the 70 amp fuse and it wouldnot go
so i had to go to the junk yard to fix my fuck up
if some one could give me a fuse block ID (what fuses go were would be great thanks...jv&s

Here's what a $300 car looks like
....CAUTION THESE PICTURES ARE NOT ALTERED in anyway it is what i bought ashtray full and all
just one question ....How do you burn a Passanger seat like that..?

I can only guess what the hell is on the head rest .? :(
check out the pile of ash

$35 for used alt
$28 for a drivers window
$125 for seats headliner & carpet
$125 for tires
$22 for T-Belt
$20 water pump
$355 +300 purchase price = $655 and still wont drive..!...I must be high?

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:40 pm 

that thing is in such bad shape. i would not want to drive something like that. at least the wheels look cool. are there holes in the floor pan ? you should cut a coil on the front and rear to bring the ride height down. looks like it has a 2 inch lift kit installed.
i've seen cars like that literally in the junk yard, in better shape. i guess you have to get what you can budget. the yellow fuse (60A) is the one to check for open as it connects to the starter. the 70A connects battery pos. to the rest of the electrical circuits.
not sure if electrical is your strong point but in steps to test your alt is to bench test it, hook up battery voltage to pins 2 and 3, crank it with a drill and check the output voltage of the output. also ground the case too.
as you can see from cell 30 electrical diagram you're going to want to see B+ at pins 2 and 3 on the plug to the alt while key is ON

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:10 am 
Island Inbreeder

TheSilverBullet wrote:
that thing is in such bad shape. i would not want to drive something like that. at least the wheels look cool. are there holes in the floor pan ? you should cut a coil on the front and rear to bring the ride height down. looks like it has a 2 inch lift kit installed.
i've seen cars like that literally in the junk yard, in better shape. i guess you have to get what you can budget. the yellow fuse (60A) is the one to check for open as it connects to the starter. the 70A connects battery pos. to the rest of the electrical circuits.
not sure if electrical is your strong point but in steps to test your alt is to bench test it, hook up battery voltage to pins 2 and 3, crank it with a drill and check the output voltage of the output. also ground the case too.
as you can see from cell 30 electrical diagram you're going to want to see B+ at pins 2 and 3 on the plug to the alt while key is ON

True true I've also seen better car in the wreckers..I think i can bring it back...will i make a dollar ?...slim
the daughter will use it and the wheels will work good on my MK1 turbo so........

BTW thanks for the help.....jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".