TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:55 pm 

cant quite to seem to get my head around this one. 98 chevy metro 1.0l g10. when the car sits for an extended period of time (few hours) car starts as it normally should. turn key for less than a second and go. if its after you go somewhere and the car is at temp, you will crank and crank with no start. floor the accelerator and its a hard start but usually within a few seconds (3 to 4). after start its a perfect idle and run condition. drives fine accelerates as well as it ever has. no codes throwing cel light or even stored. kinda at a loss after checking everything i could think of and it has "just been the way" for about 6 months now. full tune up within the last month and nothing changed except a slight better mileage. any ideas you may have please
thanks
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:33 pm 

no one even has an idea?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:49 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it sounds to me like you are starting to have compression gremilns, quite possibly burnt valves.

run a compression test.

if you have to open the throttle plate and crank the starter long enough to build compression in the cylinders that's a pretty good indication of low compression. you should have pressures of around 200 psi on a new engine, 150 psi is the bottom limit. compression should be within 10 or 15 psi on all cylinders, too.

rings can be a problem on the g10, as well. people scrimp on oil changes and run the crap out of the engine which binds the rings with carbon and crap into the piston grooves. once the rings get hot they lose their temper and no longer seal against the cylinder walls.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:36 pm 

Something else you could check is:

Warm up the car then shut it off and remove the air cleaner. After a couple of minutes check to see if the injector is leaking into the throttle body. Use a flashlight and look down the TBI to see if there is any gas pooling.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:10 pm 

i had this same issue with a 2 cycle weed wacker engine that would not warm start. i had to throw it out after 2 seasons as it was a cheap chinese brand. could this be the same issue, bad compression ?

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:26 pm 

alright!! stuff to do. thanks guys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:42 pm 

we have results!! i dont know what they exactly mean but its more progress than i had. i am a fabricator more than a mechanic so the terms are familiar but the results are on the other side of the fence. first thanks to "t3 ragtop" for the idea. here we go

COLD ENGINE (sat all night)

CYL1 CYL2 CYL3
181# 184# 178#

WARM ENGINE (5 min of driving, normal operating on gauge)

CYL1 CYL2 CYL3
132# 134# 138#

friend suggested the valves need adjustment
what else could i inspect to narrow this down before i tear my engine out for a complete overhaul?

also if its engine build time could i expect similar mileage with a turbo build and added fun factor opposed to stock build?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:59 pm 

Compression is definitely low when hot. Valves are not adjustable. Time to pop the head off me thinks. If all looks good, your rings are probably gummed up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:24 pm 

how do you fix that?
gummed up rings that is

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:18 pm 
Suzuki Elder

you could try a seafoam treatment and that might free the rings up.

if they have been stuck and hot, the rings might be damaged and that would require new rings.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II