TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:56 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:15 am 

According to my service manual these are supposed to be done at 100K and 120K miles respectively. Has anyone does these. Not keen on the fuel filter service since it seems like you have to drop the fuel tank - I suppose I could but it sounds like a bit of pain to do - not just like replacing the air or oil filter. The EVAP filter looks easier to do but I'm not clear there are aftermarket parts - at least I could not find anything. Is this a dealer only item?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:56 pm 

I went and did the evap system tune up service on my car when I bought it second hand. This service will fix the venting problem when you open the gas cap.
I went to newgmparts.com and bought a new evap canister air inlet filter (under emissions section) . The air inlet filter is mounted on the rear frame rails. While I had the gas tank lowered, I also did checks and test to make sure all the electronically controlled valves worked, check the conditions of lines and hoses. The fuel filter is actually a one piece unit. Read this entire thread here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41012

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:11 pm 

Thanks for the reply. It is not clear to me about the fuel filter. My 2000 LSi has 133K on it. At 100K I did get a replacement filter which I never got around to installing. It looks like some kind of screen rather than a filter. From the service manual I kind of got the impression that it was installed on the fuel sender. In any event I did not feel like lowering the tank so i never got around to it.

I think I have seen that referenced thread before. So it seems like people are of the opinion you don't have to replace it I guess. My inclination is to just let it be for now. I do plan to do the EVAP filter though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:08 am 

blue_can wrote:
Thanks for the reply. It is not clear to me about the fuel filter. My 2000 LSi has 133K on it. At 100K I did get a replacement filter which I never got around to installing. It looks like some kind of screen rather than a filter. From the service manual I kind of got the impression that it was installed on the fuel sender. In any event I did not feel like lowering the tank so i never got around to it.

I think I have seen that referenced thread before. So it seems like people are of the opinion you don't have to replace it I guess. My inclination is to just let it be for now. I do plan to do the EVAP filter though.

I had replaced mine, as there was stale gas in the tank and my odometer had 215K on it, and so I'm certain mine was never replaced either. It's just good to have things you know for sure that are refreshed.

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:20 am 

Yes if you bought the car that was several years old it's never clear what well it was maintained or what work was done on it so that was probably a good idea. I've owned the Metro since it was one year old so I'm quite familiar with all if the work done on it (95% done by me). These days it is my secondary car but I've started taking it to work since parking is so full I can usually put it in to a tight spot that most other vehicles cannot fit into.

Out of curiosity was your fuel filter clogged up or quite clean when it was pulled.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:25 am 

blue_can wrote:
Yes if you bought the car that was several years old it's never clear what well it was maintained or what work was done on it so that was probably a good idea. I've owned the Metro since it was one year old so I'm quite familiar with all if the work done on it (95% done by me). These days it is my secondary car but I've started taking it to work since parking is so full I can usually put it in to a tight spot that most other vehicles cannot fit into.

Out of curiosity was your fuel filter clogged up or quite clean when it was pulled.

There is no way to tell without creating a cross section of the filter, which I did not do. However the filler sock did have a few specs on it, which I just cleaned with a brush. I have a feeling you did not read the entire thread I posted above...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:21 am 

It was a bit confusing but after reading that thread as well as the description of the fuel sender assembly in my 2000 factory manual it was a bit clearer. I was curious as to how well the screen kept the filter clean. In any event I suppose I should replace the sender assembly in order to perform this service. Kind of annoying you have to replace the sender assembly just to replace the filter - I wonder who came up with that design.