TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:29 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Replacing A/C Compressor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:36 am 

What Should I use to flush out the A/C components with?
What is the best oil to use in the A/C system?
This last winter I had the A/C clutch bearing get so bad I had to disconnect the drive belt.
With close to 200K on the original compressor and random A/C issues over the past 7 years, I have decided to replace the A/C compressor, expansion valve, and dryer. The guy that worked on this car before me used a lot of green dye leak checking crap in this system. So I want to flush out the entire system before installing the new compressor. The evaporator will be coming out too, to replace the expansion valve.
I helped a friend of mine replace all of his blend door foam when he installed A/C in his 94 Geo. He also added window screen behind the air intake trim panel below the windshield. I am sure there is going to be a lot of crap inside the blower motor housing and the evaporator housing just like my friends car had. So I will be adding a screen to mine too. I will refoam the doors as needed.

Not sure how this got double posted?

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:15 am 

fainya wrote:
Not sure how this got double posted?

That's easy.
You forgot to post it in the A/C section...

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=46746

8) 8) 8)

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:19 am 

dont flush it out. that green leak dye crap is good. trust me. fords actually come from the factory with dye in it.

having that dye in there doesnt hurt a thing. though flushing it when it doesnt need to could. best oil to use is whatever the car calls for. probably PAG.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:51 am 

I have finished my A/C project. New compressor, expansion valve, dryer, and o rings.
I removed the evaporator to change the expansion valve. When I removed the expansion valve I had a lot of plastic looking beads come out of the high pressure side line. These beads where about 0.085" in size. They where clogging up the line completely. Someone used R12 leak detector dye (mineral oil base) in a R134 system (PAG oil base). The results where solidifying of the mineral oil into round beads.
I had no choice but to flush the entire system at this point.
While I had the evaporator housing out, I continued to remove the heater core housing. I refoamed all of the blend doors. The foam had gotten to the point of disintegrating to the touch. All of the housings where cleaned. This included the heater core and the evaporator core as well.
Before the A/C clutch bear went out ( also leaky front seal), the AC would blow cold at idle but always got warm at highway speeds. This said to me expansion valve issues. I also know the mechanic that worked on this car before I got it and he was a HACK! The AC system had more green leak dye in it the freon.
End results? The AC now blows cold at any speed. No more leaking heat into the system from the heater core. Air flow from the outlets has doubled.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.