TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:58 am 

Hey all,

So a few days ago I noticed that my '97 1.3L started hesitating under medium-to-heavy throttle. I did a scan and no error codes.

I checked for loose spark plug wires, clogged air cleaner and found no issues. The problem grew worse until yesterday when the car did not start. I was eventually able to get it running and it idled okay but again stumbled under throttle - as if it was only running on three cylinders or the timing was severely off. When in gear (under normal load), it idled and ran fine but as soon as you stepped on the gas, it stumbled and backfired.

My timing light is out of commission and it seems unlikely that it would retard on it's own unless the belt skipped a tooth.

I pulled the plugs (NGK V Power) and the cores were completely worn on all four cylinders with a gap twice that of stock specs. I replaced the plugs, cap and rotor but no change. Since I had no codes to go by, I then began looking for issues that would not create an error code. I started with fuel filter. No change.

I'm gonna pick up another timing light and check that this afternoon but do you guys know of any other issues that could be causing a no fault code problem like this?

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited by BlueState4Ever on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:18 am 

Take a very close look at the wires.

For these cars to pick up a misfire you have to drive for a pretty long time. My 98 took a week to finally pop the light.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:54 am 

VR4 wrote:
Take a very close look at the wires.

For these cars to pick up a misfire you have to drive for a pretty long time. My 98 took a week to finally pop the light.

Wires are one year-old Magnecor KV85 (8.5mm). I use these wires on all of my imports and love them. I'm going to try disconnecting one wire at a time while the motor is idling to see if a bad wire can be isolated but the plugs I pulled were all in identical condition with no heavy carbon - rather baked light brown with severely cooked firing ends. I'll post some images shortly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:48 pm 

10 years dealing with turbo imports. I won't touch magnawhores.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:25 pm 

VR4 wrote:
10 years dealing with turbo imports. I won't touch magnawhores.

Love 'em. Work great.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:31 pm 

So here's an update:

There were no issues with the wires (as expected) and after taking it for a quick spin, I noticed that the stumbling / hesitation issue under throttle was mysteriously gone - so this cannot be a timing issue. I've eliminated vacuum / ignition as the culprit so what could be causing intermittent issues as described and not spit back any codes?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:40 pm 

Check the crank shaft woodruff key. Make sure its not wore out. When there is load on the engine it will retard timing to the point it barely runs. Have had a couple Suzukis have this problem. It only get exponentially worse till it quits. IF it is the problem.

14 ford Mustang v6.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:41 am 

sledgehammer wrote:
Check the crank shaft woodruff key. Make sure its not wore out. When there is load on the engine it will retard timing to the point it barely runs. Have had a couple Suzukis have this problem. It only get exponentially worse till it quits. IF it is the problem.

Will do. Thanks. I also stopped by the Pick-A-Part for another ignition coil on the chance that mine is malfunctioning. Will update the forum later today.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:35 pm 

I had an 86 pontiac that did something simular. had full tune up and new fuel pump but my brother still couldn't get to run right. I bought it and unbolted the exhaust at manifold. ran just fine. cat was plugged. removed cat gutted it out reinstalled rand great for years.

It ran ok when cold but when it warmed up it was choking.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:48 pm 

For the members who may experience this issue in the future; the problem appears to have been the coil. The problem was intermittent but as stated, at one point the hesitation under throttle got so bad that the motor actually stalled and would not start. After sitting for several hours, it did start but the hesitation under heavy throttle was always an issue until the coil was swapped.

Now I am tackling another problem, which I will raise in a new thread. It appeared after I disconnected / reconnected the battery and involves sluggish performance and a sudden drop in RPM after I let my foot off the gas. Again, no fault codes. Please respond to the new thread if you have any ideas of the cause.