TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:39 pm 

Snooped around some other threads and was able to piece together some information, but couldn't find all I needed. Hope someone here can help.

Had my intake/TBI off the head and pulled back while I was doing some head work. I essentially just left everything connected together and tied it back to the firewall so that it was out of the way. Went to put everything back together and since then have lost the use of the temperature gauge on my instrument cluster. I replaced the sending unit at the thermostat but that didn't help. I also swapped out instrument clusters thinking the gauge itself was shot, but that didn't do it either. I understand that there are multiple sensors that talk to that gauge. This is a 95 1.0 w/o AC. Is it possible that I damaged something when I tied back the intake/TBI assembly, perhaps something on the back that I'm missing? I think I have traced every wire but haven't found anything obvious. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:21 pm 

antiextreme wrote:
Snooped around some other threads and was able to piece together some information, but couldn't find all I needed. Hope someone here can help.

Had my intake/TBI off the head and pulled back while I was doing some head work. I essentially just left everything connected together and tied it back to the firewall so that it was out of the way. Went to put everything back together and since then have lost the use of the temperature gauge on my instrument cluster. I replaced the sending unit at the thermostat but that didn't help. I also swapped out instrument clusters thinking the gauge itself was shot, but that didn't do it either. I understand that there are multiple sensors that talk to that gauge. This is a 95 1.0 w/o AC. Is it possible that I damaged something when I tied back the intake/TBI assembly, perhaps something on the back that I'm missing? I think I have traced every wire but haven't found anything obvious. Any thoughts?

Did you test the wire for an open in the circuit? I suppose your sending unit has only one wire... so if there is continuity between both ends and also not to ground, I would check the plugs on the cluster next. Good luck though, this "little" electrical issues can drive somebody crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:19 pm 

I think what would help the most at this point is if someone could tell me how many sensors I should first check and where they are located.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:40 pm 

the sensor is on the water outlet on the back of the cyl head (above the trans) or on the intake manifold (depending on engine). 95 apparently only has one sensor.

testing is simple. unplug it. does the gauge move? if not ground the wire. the gauge should move to the complete other end (pegged hot). if it doesnt remove the cluster and ohm the wire from the cluster to the sending unit. A6 at the cluster. yeelow/black wire. turns into yellow/white at the sending unit according to my diagram. itll most likely be open. in this case you need ot find the break in the wire and repair it. if it tests ok the gauge failed.

there appears to be a connector (i cant tell where from the diagram) and this is where the wire turns from yellow/blk to yellow/wht.

the gauge is grounded to the ground on the back of the intake manifold but this is shared with the other gauges so if they work the ground is good.

my money is its a break in the wire or that connector is unplugged considering you were just in there.

too many others to list