TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fuel pump tank drop
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:53 am 

After converting my automatic to a 5 speed I ran into some issues with evoprative emissions and had a check engine light on. Code P0450 fuel tank pressure sensor open B+. Well hell! I have to drop the fuel tank.
So I got a new bosch fuel pump, new rubber fuel lines and away we go.
I ran the car to empty by the fuel guage. I pumped the rest out by jumping the connectors at the fuel pump relay.
Fuel line off at the throttle body, hose into a gas can. HUmm... Gas guage on empty but the tank still had over 2 gallons of fuel left in it? So the fuel guage sender needs to be adjusted while I have the tank out.

Tank out and it needs to be cleaned up badly. Also found a cracked evoporative hose on top of the tank.
Attachment:
IMG_1802.JPG

A couple of hours of cleaning and replacing the rubber hoses, fuel pump, adjusting the sending unit, and it is ready to go back in.

Attachment:
IMG_1806.JPG

While I had the tank out I also moved the fuel filter up to the fire wall. and bypassed the original location with some of the extra rubber fuel line I had.
Total time of this job..
Pump fuel out of tank 10 minutes
drop tank 30 minutes
Clean tank inside and out, and replace old parts 2 hours
Install tank 30 minutes
Not bad for never having done one before 3 hours 10 minutes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

Post subject: Re: Fuel pump tank drop
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:18 am 

2 gallons after its on e is normal. I've driven nearly 100 miles after it hit "e"

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:02 am 

Well I set the fuel guage sender so that just above full is full and just below empty is out of gas. I want an accurate reading more then a safe reading. Yes I understand that running fuel tanks, with electonic fuel pumps in them, to low is hard on the pumps. I don't ever plan on dropping the fuel tank again on this car.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:10 pm 

It would be nice if I could get an accurate reading from my fuel gauge, but I run it to mileage not what the gauge reads anyway.
400 miles, need gas on the way home or on the way to work the next day.

Great job BTW. looks nice almost new.