TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:22 pm 

I decided that I was tired of putting mileage on my Lexus (14k so far in 6 months) driving it to work & back, so I started thinking about getting another Metro to drive to work. This one literally was in front of me the whole time. I never gave it a thought, because it was an MK4 Sedan, however I realized how stupid I was to disregard it because of that.

Here are the pics and short stories to go along with them:

This was when we first started. The engine bay is already sprayed down in these pics with a combination of "Simple Green", "Purple Power", and KanoLabs "Flowaway". We let it sit for a few minutes to let everything soak in. We had a pressure washer handy to assist us as well.

This was after we had finished pressure washing the engine bay. We repeated the cleaning procedure 3 times to get it nearly spotless. She cleaned up nicely!

It runs as well as it looks. I sprayed down the TB with a ton of carb cleaner to break most of the carbon loose. We will be doing a few "Kreen" tests this weekend! Stay tuned for updates.

Here are pics of how it looked when we started on the exterior, we actually didn't do anything really to the outside, aside from pressure wash it. We didn't even use soap on it, but it still cleaned up nicely. He had a set of hubcaps for it, so we put them on later:

We took the hood off to help with cleaning the bay:

Took a break for some Om Nom Noms:

After the spraydown and hubcaps installed (working on putting 98 headlights into it, hence the lack of lights):

Dirty interior:

Thats pretty much how she sits at this moment. Once I get it home the first priority will be to get new tires put on, and then get to cleaning the interior. The headliner will need to be replaced as well.

I've compiled a list of what all I plan on doing to it to get it ready to be my daily commuter:

New Struts/Shocks
H&R Springs
Radio
New Tires
Turbine Tech Brace
Remove carpet for cleaning
Remove seats for cleaning
Have headliner replaced
Send shifter to DanO for shortening treatment
Give the A/C a fresh pull down
Install 98 headlights
Cluster with Tachometer (will buy come payday)
Clutch cable

I don't plan on letting this one take up all my money as my other Metro has done: Therefore, I plan on updating this with every dollar I spend on the car, aside from routine maintenance/gas.

So far*

$50 cleaning supplies
$35 for 3qts of Kreen
$35 plugs for 98 Headlight conversion
$16 radiator core support/hood latch/airbag module from Pull-A-Part
$20 EGR setup & Idle speed sensor from Pull-A-Part (cleaning the EGR to just replace the one on the car).

2014 BRZ Limited in WRB - The car payment

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:23 pm 

Just got home with the new Metro! Averaged 38.7 over a 127 mile tank. That was 87octane, with ethanol, at an average of 65mph in a hilly area.

Time to update this with what all was accomplished today before the trip home.

First things first:

Installed my junkyard EGR that i'd been cleaning for the past few days. After we installed it we realized that it doesn't actually move, so we think it's actually a bad EGR. I'm going to clean the old EGR (wasn't very built up at all) and re install it. I'll update this when I do that.

Installed a new PCV:

Moved on to installing the missing core support & hood latch. This is what I started with:

This is what the finished product looks like!

Next I started on the headlights. The car is a 95, so it came equipped with the terrible plastic lights that don't put out any light whatsoever. Lucking the previous owner of the car had acquired a set of 98 headlights, which are a direct bolt on, but that have different wiring. I got set of plugs off of a 98 from a fellow member and started working on splicing the new plugs onto the chassis harness:

Started with this, the original plug:

Now just to add all of these:

Got the main headlight plug switched!:

Here's where it got tricky. The 95 cars have the blinkers in the bumpers, while the 98-01 cars have them in the headlight housing themselves. Well, I figured it would be a waste to not use the turn signals on the car, so I split the factory wiring. On the 98 lights, the blinkers are dual filiment so that they can also be used as driving lights (i assume). I didn't want to do this, so instead I wired the two positives together so now I have a super bright blinker on the inside of the headlight, and only my amber lights on the corners are driving lights.

Now I have blinkers in both the bumper and the headlights. Looks fantastic. Only problem right now is that both my bulbs in the bumper are toast. We did test it and everything works fine. I finished by just splicing the side amber lights into the existing side light plug. I'll get pics as soon as I replace the bumper lights. This is a pic of the finished product:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:24 pm 

Our BIG project for the day was to put my favorite engine product (Kreen!) to a controlled test.

I would like to mention at this point that this is a nearly flawless running engine. No major bad sounds, runs super smooth, zero smoke, and even compression across the board (195-205), & it has 140+thousand miles! Does have a VERY slight lifter tick at times.

First we removed the valve cover to get some pics of how the varnish looked, this is what we got:

And a pic of behind the 710 cap:

Next we took a video of how the engine ran before any Kreen was added. In the video, the engine is cranked and then revved for almost the entire first part of the video, then it is allowed to idle itself down. Listen for the slight lifter tick. I can hear it, but I know what to listen for. See if you can find it.

We replaced the valve cover and added 1/3 a can of Kreen to the oil. Was a low mile oil change (under 300 miles on it).

This is the initial startup after we added the Kreen to the oil (note* Kreen takes almost the entire oil change to completely work its magic, but I have personally seen it get rid of a lifter tick in 30 seconds, which is why we did these videos, to see if it made any immediate difference*). The same sequence was done in this video as well:

To ME, it sounds a little quieter, with less chatter towards the end of the video, however tell me if you notice anything.

We let the car idle for 15 minutes or so and then I took another (much shorter) video of it idling to see how it sounds compared to the other 2:

It sounds MUCH quieter to me in that video.

I'm going to get tires soon so I can start driving the car to work, and start putting miles on it. As soon as it gets to 1500 miles, I'm going to pour another 1/3 can of Kreen into the oil. I'm going to take pics with the valve cover off at this time as well to see what its' done in 1500 miles.

That wrapped the day up. Didn't want to leave, was having too much fun. Here's how she looked when we set off for home!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 pm 

Started pulling the interior today.

I'm going to try and pull the carpet and clean it to the best of my abilities. I'll also try and figure a way out to patch that hole in the drivers footwell. While it's out i'm going to run wiring for an amplifier and fix the broken trunk release.

I started cleaning the seats while I had them out:

Followed StiffCheeze's How-To and failed miserably. Eventually got the covers off (only did the drivers side seat) and put them in the wash machine. That was the end of the good news. When I pulled them from the wash I found that a large tear had developed and had pretty much ruined the cover, not to mention that it wasn't as clean as I had been expecting.

Because of this, I decided to use my personal technique of soaking the seat down in simple green, scrubbing the mess out of it, and then pressure washing the dirt out. This worked pretty well on the passenger seat. It's drying now as I type this. Will probably take 2-3 days to dry completely, luckily i'm in no rush.

This is my pile of goodies that are getting attention soon. I'm going to clean up and paint all the interior pieces over the next few weeks.

I also cleaned out the trunk. It had a bit of surface rust where water had been sitting, so I plugged all the holes and poured in a gallon of "Evaporust" and let it sit for 18 hours. Did a fantastic job. I rinsed what was left out and then let it dry. I'm going to spray this down with truckbed liner, and use sound deadening on the back wall of the trunk, along with the roof of the trunk.

Scrubbed the trunk mat with simple green and pressure washed it as well.

So in conclusion:

I'm going to be looking for another all grey MK4 drivers seat if anyone has one!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:17 pm 

Try to find 98-up front seats. They are way softer to sit on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:36 am 

Esteem seats > any metro/Swift seat (not including performance models)

I have 2 sets of 98 swift seats taking up space in my garage

too many others to list