TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:38 am 

Hi Guys. I'm William from Puerto Rico. I recently aquired a 2001 Swift and noticed that while cruising at 50 mph it is at 3200 rpm's meanwhile my 6 cylinder Maxima averages at 2100 - 2300 rpms at these speeds. Are these high rpms normal in a swift with auto trans? Is there any mod I can do to reduce the rpm's and hence improve fuel economy? Thanks in advance for any advice.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:46 pm 

yes normal. I drove to fla and my car at 75 mph was around 3500 to 3800 for 495 miles 2 times they can handle it .

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:00 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it's like comparing apples to oranges. the g13 was designed to operate in it's power band at between 3000 and 4000 rpms all day long. the maxima's 6 cylinder is designed to operate at lower rpm but still, it's within it's design specs.

my 92 swift gt is running at 65 mph at around 3250 rpm and is as happy as a clam while doing it.

i bought a brand new maxima in 1998 and i wouldn't have another if you gave it to me. 4 door sports car my ass! :-P that car was as heavy as a boat anchor and handled like a covered wagon in mud. the engine made all sorts of wierd noises and the car was less than fast. plus it got crap for fuel economy and was hard and expensive to maintain.

you might have a different point of view but i call 'em as i see 'em. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:01 pm 

Great advice. Thanks a lot.