TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:16 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

The headwork is being done by 3-tech Performance (aka. mike cove/suprf1y) and should include some nice valves, port & polish job, a big cam, etc.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:39 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

nice shiny turbinetech turbo setup back from being ceramic coated :D

if it works have as well as it looks ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:11 am 

Cripes,
You better let Jess know he's missed a runner on that manifold.

Hope you got 25% off.......

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:04 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

i think it was bill gates who said "993cc is all the displacement anybody would ever need in a car" and "3cyl ought to be enough for anybody".

at least with the right turbo setup and enough boost
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:40 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

not nearly finished, but the basic walkthrough...
started removing the old carpet, seats, side panels, trim, etc..
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3290">Image</a>
the floor was cleaned & the interior surfaces were all vacuumed a couple times and wiped clean with acetone to make sure everything would stick properly. I also scraped the plastic sidepanels with a paint scraper to remove all the brittle sunbaked/powdered plastic from it.
the floor, wheel wells, and everywhere else that might vibrate was then treated to a layer of ghetto sound deadening. grace ice & water shield, it has the same makeup as the 'cheap' dynomat but costs a fraction of it, eg. 106sq' roll is only $58 and i didn't even use half of it. although if performance wasn't a consideration, i could have added the whole roll to really get rid of the road noise. (& yes it works, but it's not a magic/miracle fix, there is still plenty of noise left).
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3291">Image</a>
then came the carpet, imagine doing a massive complex speaker box
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3289">Image</a>
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3292">Image</a>
i started by glueing the center of the carpet down and working it up along the center hump before stretching and fitting it out towards the sides of the car, bit by bit to avoid wrinkles and creases
it's a contact adhesive so you spray it to both materials (floor & carpet) and allow them to tack up before pressing them into place. it's REALLY important that you do this a little at a time so you can stretch it out and work it into the contours or you will get really nasty wrinkles. even being careful i still got a few. the carpet i used was called flexform, it's a heavyweight auto carpet with NO backing material, so it can be fitted to every contour of the floorpan.
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3293">Image</a>
the piece of carpet i used for the floor was a total of 80" wide and 3 yards long, but an extra bit of length would have been good, especially if someone wanted to try this on a later mk2/mk3 car.
also i would definately recommend carpetting it in 2 pieces, one for the front floorpan, another for the rear as tuffcarguy and i got some wrinkles trying to get over the complex curves in the middle.
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3296">Image</a>
with the floor eventually done, we moved to covering the side panels and trim with a lighter weight carpet designed for speaker enclosures, same idea as the floor but much harder, a few of the panels worked great, but others we ran into a few (now permanent) wrinkles or that we couldn't get the carpet to stretch far enough to lay flat inside the curves.
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3298">Image</a>
still it looks a 1000x better then before.
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3299">Image</a>
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3300">Image</a>
the doors & dash are still in need of work.... and i would really like to find out where i can get new rubber for the door seals and some new bead to run around the door and window openings to replace the yellowish/white stuff.....
more pics in my <a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_personal.php?user_id=77">photo album</a> or click on the thumbnails to see the fullsize pics

Last edited by n1tr0 on Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:57 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

How much do you figure that carpet weighs? It looks like a method to clean up the barren floorpan look I have going.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:02 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

just the floorpan, maybe 7-10lbs, it felt quite light.
you could <a href="http://stores.ebay.com/id=2819560&ssPageName=L2">contact her</a> and find out what the weight per yard is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:23 pm 

Looks great dude..

Second 3cyl equal lenght Mk1 should be hitting the road soon.. Jess is making me a manifold for an IHI RHB5 with the Subaru flange.. cant wait to see what kind of boost it makes, and if its not enough the same flange fits the WRX/STI turbo's =)

Hoping to pull the motor/tranny and paint/clean the engine bay in the next month.. then the motor is going back in with the larger turbo, manifold and nicely sized FMIC, new piping and likely a one off intake manifold with a VW 2L throttle body.. Ignition will be handled by a FORD EDIS-6 crank trigger system with the trigger wheel mounted on the cam gear so it spins half speed.. <which equals coil near plug for a 3cylinder>

Fueling and ignition map will be taken care of by a MegasquirtNSparkNExtra ECU <I sell these> and 3, 42lb/hr injectors should provide enough fuel for 180-200hp

The head already has Chevy Dual valve springs and some larger valves <i think from a vitara 1.6> i've got a turbo grind cam from colt cams as well..

As is with the stock turbo the car pulls decently well into the 7k rpm range with just a 2.5" downpipe back turbo.

Looking forwards to seeing the difference =)

And cant wait to see the outcome of your project

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:22 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

a few updates, did some more tinkering today to prepare for a roadtrip this weekend, changed the oil, discovered the waterpump is dripping/weaping & growling and that the alternator is nearly shot as well with some really noisy bearings.

the fun/good news is that i also got around to trying the honda short shifter mod on the mk1, and just like the later cars, it fits right in just a bit of filing to stuff it through the hole in the mount. what a difference, i'm pretty sure the shifter throw is even smaller/tighter on the mk1 then it was on my mk3, it changes gear like a miata now, much more positive engagement of the gears, but more effort is required as you have considerably less leverage on the shift linkage.

parts required for the install, a longer bolt then the one supplied and a few extra washers are required, just like installing on the later mk2/3 cars. you'll also need a file & hammer to fit the larger bottom pivot through the mount. some fresh grease is also a good idea.

tomorrow i'm changing the waterpump and possibly trying to fit the later model steering rack in the mk1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:11 pm 

Awesome project.Looks like it going to be a blast to drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:12 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

had to change the waterpump, timing belt and a few other bits before the trip, and the uprated alternator won't be here for another week or two.

put on about 1000miles up and down the coast (35+mpg @ 70+mph) this past long weekend, it is a blast to drive, but the stock engine/turbo setup is really lacking, but there's still a LOT of work to be done and some really sweet pieces coming :)

Last edited by n1tr0 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:48 am 

Not sure if the info helps or not but my stock turbo 88 motor put out 63hp and 60ft/lbs of torque to the wheels on saturday on a mustang dyno up here..

I wanted a baseline before doing the upgrades i had planned..

and then today the equal length 3cyl manifold showed up from turbinetech.

unfortunately its a little too tight with the IHI RHB5 i've got as it is, so i emailed Jess to see if he can send me another flange for the turbo exhaust side i can use as a spacer to push it down 10mm and the compressor housing wont hit the first exhaust runner.

Looks like it will clear the engine mount though.

Otherwise looks like a great high quality product, i'm looking forwards to seeing what kind of power i make with it and the Standalone EMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:21 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

fortunately for me, Jess is supplying the manifolds/plumbing AND the turbo, so it should all fit together :) I mailed out my spare intake to you today, should make a neat project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:24 pm 

Thanks dude =) this is gonna be fun..

eventually it will be a track only car again but for now its a definite street menace =)

Pulling my motor tonight so i can remove all the stupid vacuum lines, the wiring etc for the stock ecu and move the batt to the trunk

still trying to decide wether i should paint the engine bay white or black tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:51 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

i'm surprised no-one offered to help push the little sprint off the start-line :P
jimmy/tuffcarguy dragged me out to the dragstrip to make some baseline runs before the head from 3-tech and the turbo from turbinetech get here...
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3509">Image</a>
i really don't think the car's building up any boost, but i'll have to wait to mount the boos/vacuum gauge to diagnose it until the gauge cups from t3ragtop get here (thanks ;) ) seems like the turbo isn't building any real boost, it only really spools up under light throttle/light load and makes a fluttery sound between gears instead of the whoosh of the pressure valve dumping like when i first got the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:29 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

forgot the digital camera this morning and i need to take a bunch of updated pictures, from the gauge pods supplied by t3ragtop, to the new 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust i built today.
WOW, no restriction = 10psi boost, no mods to the turbo or anything else, just replacing the stock exhaust from the downpipe back ...
i've got a bit of rubbing of the exhaust on left hand turns so i may need to sort out the hangers a bit better.
also i've got an intermittent stumble on WOT as the revs climb, full boost, i'm guessing around 5k rpm, i've even heard the pressure relief valve on the intercooler blow off while just accelerating, not between gears when the tb slaps closed; at what sort of pressure should it be releasing ?

oh & i tried jomo's speed paint on the exhaust system ;) must be where the extra 3psi came from :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:20 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3709">Image</a>
batteries in the camera needed to be recharged, but i got a couple shots off ...
first shot you can see the old exhaust that i removed, max 1.5" OD crushbend tubing, replaced with 2.5" pipe, mandrel bends, and a glasspack.
here's a shot of the 2.5" exhaust
<a href=http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3893">Image</a>

second shot is the finished product, the rear lowering springs were cut another 1.5 coils off the top (the soft closely wound end), it's still a bit lower in the front, but much better. the wheels were worked over with a whole lot of sanding and 3m pads then primed, painted, and clearcoated; white.
it's loud, it's low, and i think it's looking good.

a big thanks to everyone who's helped out so far with time, parts, or just some good advice :)

arriving soon will be the mk1 turbo kit from jardamuth/turbinetech.

Last edited by n1tr0 on Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:31 pm 

Dang, n1tr0... Every time I think about giving up on (read: stop putting money into) my Mk1, you come up with some whiz-bang pictures of your latest pursuits. When I first saw the pic, I thought, "I thought his wheels were silver..." Then I read the post--geez, sanded all that? sheesh. You have way more free time than I seem to. I can be honest now and say that I didn't like your wheels at first--too small (especially with those thin tires), even with the lowering you had done. But the white really sets them off the way the OE wheel covers did, and the extra lowering in the rear is makin' it shine. But how's the ride these days? You already have lowering springs, which I assume are stiffer, and now you sawed 'em off some? Definitely gonna have to check this out.

Congrats--lookin' good. Where's the pics of your new exhaust setup?

Brendan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:51 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

the spax lowering springs are very progressive, i should say, overly soft for the first little bit of travel. the car actually rides smoother now then it ever did with the stock springs, but i'm not 100% happy with the initial roll when turning into a corner, i'm hoping the bigger whiteline swaybars & poly bushings will fix that up, BUT i have no $$ to do that yet.
cleaning & painting the wheels took most of the day with airtools.
i did the springs, shimmed the bov (so that it'll hopefully not relieve the boost while i'm still accelerating :P), stripped & painted the wheels, and messed around with the distributor (trying to fix the massive timing advance) all today ...

next time i can bring my car into the shop and put it on the hoist (with some fresh batteries in the camera), i'll get some pictures of the exhaust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:53 am 

wow, the wheels look great! :D you had a good vision there!! :clap:

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:05 pm 

what type of rims are those??? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:30 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

The same ones he had earlier, only sharpened up with a fresh coat of white paint.

BEFORE:

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:57 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

they are made by "prime", 13"x5.5", and it took a LOT of cleaning/sanding/painting to get them looking like that .. the white sure shows the dirt 'tho, i may have to start washing my car more then the usual once every couple months...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:19 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

here's some more updates,
installed, wired, and awaiting a new o2 sensor
led afr gauge tucked inside the instrument cluster, bought it from someone here on the forum ages ago, and can't remember who, but it seems to work, thanks :)
also t3ragtop helped out with the instruments donating a trio of instrument holders, boost is installed and wired up, the others are awaiting the spare block to be built up.
also got a great deal on this underdrive pully from richard as well
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3891">Image</a>
i used a 31" belt, still a touch small, would recommend a 31.5" belt next time. it's interesting to note that the stock mk1 t3 pulley is NOT a harmonic dampener like the one on the gt. so you can toss out the old "it might damage the engine" argument. nothing but good stuff, it does/did rub against the timing belt cover, but i think that's taken care of itself. :wink:

& i finally got a picture of the "honda double bend" style short shifter installed
<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3890">Image</a> vs. stock shifter rod<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3300">Image</a>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:20 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

just got back from the Portland swift meet, most of the folks bailed out, but a couple guys still made it. also finally got the Hella 500's installed for this weekends driving.
a quick picture, more in my gallery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next