TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:40 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:16 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Those lights look nice. How well does they perform?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:49 pm 
El Pimpo del Geo

so the 3 cylinders did come with a turbo... cool something to keep my eye out for. nice mk 1 by the way keep up the good work! later

rip my poor baby :( sept 1994-apr 2008
91 sidekick, 4x4 2" lift 30" swampers, winch,
to come ..... performance bits.... body lift, custom bumpers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:00 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

it's definately getting there, 3cyl turbos are the bomb ! :D the entire engine bay is pulled apart atm and mid-way through installing my new 3tech performance head
Quote:
Cylinder head build sheet

Guides: Bronze/manganese (honed to size)

Seals: Viton

Valves
Intake: +.5mm oversize OE style quality replacement

Exhaust: +2.5mm oversize One piece stainless steel

Ports
Intake: bowls ported, ports smoothed and polished

Exhaust bowls enlarged, ported, smoothed, and polished

Gasket surface .5mm (.020") removed

Cam(s) installed Lift Duration at .050"
Intake: .395" 226
Exhaust: .395" 226

Cam sprocket(s): none/stock

Comments/special prep.
Valves lashed, assembly lubed

Excellent low to midrange power, 2k-7k, nice mild idle. Good street/track
package.

a quick going over with the calipers and it looks like the valves are more 'oversized' then spec'd.
a note when doing the swap, none of the gaskets were/are in any re-usable shape, so new intake, exhaust, and distributor holder plate gaskets are all going to need to be made/ordered ....

the distributor is also pretty much toast with little bits of springs and metal shrapnel stuck to the magnets under the cover plate .... good thing FireAndFuel is sending me a spare while i work out a crank-fire ignition w/ wasted spare :D a bit of grinding is needed to make some room for the turbinetech turbo kit as well. hope to have it all back together after i get back from watkins glen.

here's a shot of the original vs. the new head.

make sure if you're using an underdrive pulley that it isn't rubbing against the plastic timing belt cover, had i left this one the way it was, who knows when it would have blown apart.

yet another picture comparing the difference in size/quality between the stock turbo setup and the turbinetech kit ...

and of course my engine compartment torn apart waiting on some gaskets and a new distributor ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:26 am 

That looks like it's coming along quite well! I'm just itchin' to work on my car but I've been spending most of my time ressurrecting an '88 Celebrity that I had purchased 8 years ago and never drove! I bought the thing "as is" when I was 13 years old; it seems for every problem fixed, two new problems arise! I just replaced the fuel pump on it, which is inside the fuel tank, and to my surprise got it running again! Maybe now I can take it down for a certification, then sell it to make room for a second swift :D

I love what you are doing to this car. Speaking of the underdrive pulley, mine had actually chewed a massive hole into the plastic timing guard. Not only did that happen, but the lock pin on my idler pulley had also snapped and the belt had literally spun the bolt out that holds the idler in place! The most scariest part is that I had probably drove the car like this for months after I had purchased it; it had always made a rattling noise under the timing guard! I finally pulled it over one day when the noise became unbearable (co-workers had been complaining about the noise prior to that even!). My timing belt had shifted with the loose idler pulley and ground itself down to almost half the thickness and was under very little tension. It's amazing the timing never went out and that the whole thing didn't blow apart!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:00 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

Aamp wrote:
Speaking of the underdrive pulley, mine had actually chewed a massive hole into the plastic timing guard. Not only did that happen, but the lock pin on my idler pulley had also snapped and the belt had literally spun the bolt out that holds the idler in place!

yikes, i really had no clearance problems with my swift gt underdrive, but maybe we're onto a bit of a regular problem here ....
i would definately recommend anyone who's running an underdrive to cut out the plastic directly behind it on the timing belt cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:47 am 
Sparky

Nitro, can you post a larger Pic of the Turbos please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:43 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

Kento87 wrote:
Nitro, can you post a larger Pic of the Turbos please.

n1tr0 wrote:
fullsize pics in my album
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:05 am 

n1tr0 wrote:
yikes, i really had no clearance problems with my swift gt underdrive, but maybe we're onto a bit of a regular problem here ....
i would definately recommend anyone who's running an underdrive to cut out the plastic directly behind it on the timing belt cover.

Oh no, my bad :silent:! My underdrive pulley is stock on the Firefly. All of my damage to the plastic cover was the result of the idler lock pin snapping which allowed the idler to twist out, causing it to inflict an outward force on my plastic cover. I suppose that is what caused it to come into contact with my underdrive pulley. I didn't have a gt underdrive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:44 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

Aamp wrote:
n1tr0 wrote:

Oh no, my bad :silent:! My underdrive pulley is stock on the Firefly. All of my damage to the plastic cover was the result of the idler lock pin snapping which allowed the idler to twist out, causing it to inflict an outward force on my plastic cover. I suppose that is what caused it to come into contact with my underdrive pulley. I didn't have a gt underdrive

this is an underdrive pulley vs. a stock pulley.
it's called an underdrive because it's smaller diameter ends up turning the alternator and waterpump slower (underdriven) ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:27 am 

:worship: I still have yet a lot to learn! I'm very new to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:14 pm 

Hi N1tr0,

I am asking around for the mk1 rear shocks.
If I can get it no worries but......
In case I couldn't get it.
Can you tell me the length of Std shock absorber length and bolt go through bottom mount?
I have spare Mini spax, if I can use it then I have brand new lowered one as well....
It's a long shot but I just thought of it...

Cheers
Atchi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:54 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

still need to know the length of the rear shocks ? I might get the car up on the lift this weekend, have a ton of stuff to do to it. the shocks are a big of an issue, too-soft and no-adjustability (height or rebound) .. i also found that my axles have been rubbing the top of the frame cut-out/pass through hole, so i'm going to need to limit front travel &/or clearance the frame a little, either way there's some suspension work needed before it spends any serious time on the track.
i posted up some more pics in my album, somehow i managed to forget to take any pics of the previous engine work (or they're lost on my computer), BMR (<a href="http://www.teamswift.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=69">murr</a>) lightened gti flywheel and SPEC carbon/kevlar clutch kit and replacing a bunch of hoses, fitting an oddessy pc680mj racing battery and a few other bits.

since it went back together, the distributor died leaving my wife and i stranded on our way to the warped tour, but it's back in the shop getting a whole lot of new wiring, the megasquirt, jardamuths turbo kit, a wrx intercooler, avo bov, wrx hoodscoop, short runner intake manifold, larger nissan tb, a cage, crankfire ignition, and a few other bits and pieces ....
some preview pics ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:11 am 

If your stuck for suspension we may be selling the coilovers and koni's off from our race car

Sounds like we may be putting a honda S2000 drivetrain in it..

and if not then we'll be RWD'ing the T3 and will redo front and rear suspension anyways..

Not sure what it'd be worth but it worked great on the track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:27 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

FireAndFuel wrote:
If your stuck for suspension we may be selling the coilovers and koni's off from our race car

:drools:
i've seen that car go around the track well enough to know your suspension works, so if the price is right, i'd be a very happy man :D

of course, this is all to hold me over until the t3 gets rear ended by some clout in an suv and I have a valid excuse to swap it into a rwd mg midget or triumph gt6, or possibly a mini ;) of course i need to get this work finished first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:02 am 

you could have the rear swaybar etc as wel.. and would probably want the modified rear beam..

I dont think we'd want much for it all.. probably $450-500 cdn for everything.. and would even throw in the front brakes etc for another $100-200 since have two sets of new race pads <$100us/set> its got CRX-SI calipers etc up front and new rear drums.

the turbo system etc wil be up for sale as well along with the custom intake/head

anyways didnt want to turn this into a FS thread but if there are parts you want that are drivetrain related let me know.. we may be selling it soon <should know by sunday>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:42 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

can you put me on a payment plan ;) ..
we can take it to pm's ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:43 am 

Update? I saw your new pictures in your personal gallery, but it ain't enough. Is the car even going to be drivable this year??!

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:18 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

HiTempguy wrote:
Update? I saw your new pictures in your personal gallery, but it ain't enough. Is the car even going to be drivable this year??!

:lol:
i keep telling my wife it will be .. actually, i have a bunch more pictures to download from the camera, the intake manifold is almost complete, one more bit of grinding and welding to finish it.

-- edit --
uploaded a few more teaser pics to my album ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:19 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

intake's all finished except for drilling/tapping a couple more vacuum fittings for the brakes, bov, & megasquirt map sensor and the throttle cable stop.
MSD air temp & water temp sensors have been fitted along with an aftermarket water temp gauge sensor.
and that's Chevy engine color :lol: just so I can hang out with the fast domestic guys when I take it to the track ;)

there were some large 'bumps' inside the runners right before they met the head, anyone know what they were for ? I removed them along with a lot of casting flaws when i was p&p'ing the manifold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:35 pm 
The Smuggler

It better be runnin for the October 29th meet!

Ya gotta quit playin with them Porsche race cars man. :razz:

And FYI I like chevy Orange too! Good work Kris.

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:56 am 

I'm with Knuckles, I can't wait to see the little red monster on the 29th! :D I hope it's running by then.

Currently driving a 1996 Geo Metro 1.0L
Mods coming...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:13 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

Well I got most of the original wiring harness stripped down to the essentials today, just have the dash portion to finish, then I need to put together the megasquirt and instrumentation harnesses, and fit a few relays ..
my camera and laptop are down at the shop with some more recent pictures ....
The megasquirt is being finished up and pre-loaded by dave of <a href="http://www.fireandfuel.ca">Fire and Fuel</a> and will go in the slot above the switches..
I've also got some mitsubishi heater controls for the new dash and a few other goodies.

I've also got the mk2 turbo3 pontiac steering wheel bought from schmikel installed as well :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:34 am 

Diggin' the tach OF DOOM! Now you can tell stories about how you were auto-x'ing it and "coming out of that 180* turn it fell off and started wacking you in the face". :lol: You know, all this time I had a pontiac turbo steering wheel back in August when you were first asking around :wink:

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:43 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

this one had no broken clips or splits or anything :P of course if yours was the same, my bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:52 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

a few more updates ...
modded the valve cover so the filler and vent pipes won't interfere with the intercooler inlet location... the intercooler will sit a couple inches further to the right when it's mounted.
side shot of the engine/turbo/intercooler location..

modified the battery holder I'd made previously to provide a place to mount all my underhood relays (hi, lo, fog, horns, ign)

and here's the electromotive crankfire unit mounted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next