TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:27 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MK1 Fuel pump rod -HELP-
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:55 pm 

Greetings all.

I need help.
Car: 88 chevy sprint Base (bare bone beer can)
Engine: G10 L3 N/A
Transmission: 5 speed Manual.
No: Ac-power steering.

I purchased this car about 2 months ago.
New: Exhaust cat pipe an muffler - spark plugs/wires- distributor cap. Oil/syncromesh.

I tried to get this car to pass smog 3 Times.
First fail: EGR MECHANICAL FAILED. To my surprise EGR MOD WAS acquired :oops: the EGR and ports were clogged... soaked in acetone for 3 hours renistalled vacum tested...car stalled :alien:
Second: High hydrocarbons.
At this point I took off the vavle cover and went to town on the rocker arms springs and all that could be reached with a toothbrush and carb cleaner. Took a shop vac and sucked all the crud out.
I then flushed the oil and refilled. I then did the "Seafoam" treatment in the oil/ brake booster/gas tank.
Ran it for 500 miles- drive belt snaps on the freeway.
Previous owner had snapped the alternator bolt and tied a STRING to the alternator and BRAKE LINES.. in attempt to secure the alternator. :thwack: Not sure how I missed this!
Went to the u pull and got a bolt from a 91 metro :yeahyeah
Before going to the smog shop for the THIRD TIME, I drained the oil and refilled and topped off with Chevron 91.
Somg tech was very suspicious as this was my third visit in 2 weeks. After running all tests he announced ..congratulations you passed :mrgreen: Moving pirmit expires on the same day that I got my registration tags :lol:
This car is awesome $17 to fill up on primo gas and gets about 300 miles on a full tank.

HELP HELP
I started the car up last weekend and smelt gas like crazy. Popped the hood and reailzed that the fuel pump was leaking on the lip of the inlet not the hose nor the weep hole. I ordered a replacement and followed the intruction to the T. I fired it up car started on the first shot....then dies throwing a check engine light :evil: . Fuel filter was empty. I remove the pump to test -passed. I can see the fuel filter fill up as I pump the lever. I pirmed the system and re-install the pump assuring that the fuel pump lever mates to the push rod. Started it up and again died. I have been reading that this rod should be able to be moved freely.. it doesn't budge one bit. I went as far as to prim it an start it placing my finger and appling pressure as the car is running the rod doesn't move. Any Ideas as I fear a rebuild might be lurking.
Please help.
Thank you.

If you're poor and you do something stupid, you're nuts. If you're rich and do something stupid, you're eccentric.......

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:50 pm 

The rod should move up and down as the cam lobe rotates. Did you observe this movement with the fuel pump removed and cranking the engine? At the lobe high point the rod should engage with the fuel pump lever even before you tighten the bolts attaching the pump to the engine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:31 pm 

Thank you suzukitom for the reply. Bad news my fuel pump rod is bent :shock:
I bought a carbro low flow (4-7 psi ) and wired up a 3 way toggle switch to a10 amp fuse.
This pup is now running like a wild pony :clap:
I cut the lever off of the pump with a dremel and put it back on.
This of course is temporary until I get a chance to remove the head to remove the rod :puke:
I want to keep the engine original- plus I like the fact that it is mechanical.
Again much appreciated.

If you're poor and you do something stupid, you're nuts. If you're rich and do something stupid, you're eccentric.......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:52 pm 

I have a MK1, G10 3 Cylinder 85 Chevy sprint, I have an extra fuel pump and I can get you the specs for the push rod off the one in my car. Maybe get the rod from a specialty shop here in Everett, WA 98203. Please let me know....

Tried to PM, would not work

1985 Chevy Sprint Mk1 G10 5 Speed Sky Blue