TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Turbo 3 project
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:12 pm 

I recently acquired a complete 3 cyl. out of a 92 metro It had a cracked piston on the cylinder farthest to the driverside and a bad intake valve on the same cylinder. i am going to rebuild the motor, and want to turbo it. where can i get a turbo 3 manifold for this motor, multiport f-i intake and ecu???
or should i just turbo it from there. i do not have much experience with turbo, so what am i up against???

any help would be nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:47 pm 

Turbo'ing a car is not as hard as you would think if you take your time and do it right. Especially on a 3cy since you have so much room to work stuff. If i were you, i'd jus fix what is wrong with the car now, and then order a kit from Jard. Best quality you can get and everything you'll need to have her running right.

Post subject: Re: Turbo 3 project
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:26 am 
Suzuki Elder

92MetroLSi wrote:
where can i get a turbo 3 manifold for this motor, multiport f-i intake and ecu???

don't forget the wiring harness for the engine bay, the dash harness, the instrument cluster, the VAF (MAF,) the correct distributor, oil supply and return lines for the turbo, the oil pan, the correct turbo fuel pump and mounting door for the fuel tank, the hard manifold, suction side water pump supply and coolant supplies for the turbo (which also includes the water neck on the head,) the fuel rail and injectors, the igniter and coil for the turbo engine, drill and tap the non turbo block to accept the knock sensor with the knock sensor itself from a mk1 or mk2 turbo engine, the turbo intake and charge air plumbing, the intercooler, and the hood scoop.

you'll also have to have the turbo head which has the drillings for mounting the injectors and a suitable exhaust manifold along with a turbo. keep in mind that an ihi rhb32 stock turbo is an absolute bitch to find in good and serviceable condition these days. it'd be worth your while to find a complete turbo firefly that has rusted out but still runs to use as a donor for all of the little bits you'll find that you need.

even with the list above added to your short list, i feel i'm leaving some other stuff out which will bite you in the ass towards the end of your project! :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:24 am 

Just curious.
Why would you need a dash harness and instrument cluster, and oil pan, and what is a hard manifold?
Do you have to change the instruments over?
Ta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:34 am 

I may have a RHB32 coming up for sale with a broken impeller shaft... if your looking for one!

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:53 pm 
Suzuki Elder

mightyboy wrote:
Just curious.
Why would you need a dash harness and instrument cluster, and oil pan, and what is a hard manifold?
Do you have to change the instruments over?
Ta.

the dash harness actually runs out through the driver's side of the car to the engine bay fuse panel and supplies the connection for power to the bay harness. in the swap from the normally aspirated engine to the turbo engine, the end of the dash harness actually has the wiring for the igniter and without it, you can't incorporate the t3 ecu.

the t3 instrument pod has a tach and the ever popular turbo light that replaces the shift up arrow indicator that is used on the NA car. the "hard" manifold is the steel pipe for the suction side of the water pump that runs behind the engine. the outlets are significantly different between the t3 and NA cars for the coolant plumbing.

the oil pan has the oil return fitting for the turbo on the t3 while the NA engine doesn't. it's easier to bolt on the proper oil pan than it is to make the modification to the stock NA engine's sump.

i've fought all the battles! :D i'm just giving you guys the benefit of my having done the swap.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:34 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

t3 ragtop wrote:
the oil pan has the oil return fitting for the turbo on the t3 while the NA engine doesn't. it's easier to bolt on the proper oil pan than it is to make the modification to the stock NA engine's sump.

Are you sure about that? My mk2 has the oil return tapped into the block, and the pan is an exact match for any other 89-94 oil pan. Is your pan perhaps from an Mk1?

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:50 am 
Suzuki Elder

gee chris,

you know that mine is a home brew machine. i popped a brass bulkhead fitting into my oil pan to get the oil back to the sump. can you shoot a pic of your oil return location on the block?

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:59 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

Ahh... I see what you were saying. I misunderstood... I thought you were generalizing when you were talking about your T3, but you were just talking about your own little beast. :)

I'm no good with the digital photgraphy (since my camera sucks) but I might be able to convince my best man to fork over his camera while I'm at his place, visiting (drinking).

There ought to be a flat area that can be drilled out very near the oil filter mounting location, right above the oil pan. If you were to try putting a Ford oil filter on there, the return would definitely be in the way. The standard filter just barely fits.

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0