TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:04 pm 

Here's what I've done. Replaced all the ignition components (cap, wires, coil, plugs). Also has a new fuel filter.

The car starts and runs great for about 10 minutes then it dies. It seems like it dies after it fully warms up. After it died I started looking for the problem. I narrowed it down to the ignition. After starting and dying the ignition only throws one measly spark then no more. If I let the car sit for a while it will start up again. After tracing all that could be wrong with the ignition system I've come to my own personal conclustion that it has to be the ignitor.

Anyone else have any ideas?

BTW, if I do the code lookup thing I get a code 41

Service manual says:
Ignition Signal: No signal from ignition coil for two seconds with engine starter switch turned on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:03 pm 
Suzuki Elder

in reference to your post here and at the t3 haven, it sounds like your diagnosis is spot on. your igniter is not firing the coil or your ecu is not firing the igniter.

DJDave has some reference material at:

http://www.execulink.com/~crdreyer/turbo/

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:00 pm 

You have a new coil huh? Brand new? those simptoms kinda sound like the coil is bad when the coil is bad and the car heats up then it shuts down, althought it may be a new coil sumthings they come bad from factory or it might have been dropped at the part store, I once bought a ss super coil (with the oil) and was craping out on my I put my regular coil back on and the car was good as new. I returned that shitty coil. Check ur coil or see if u can get hold of another 1 to test it out if I doesn't shut off after then 10 mins then its was ur coil. It also could be the ignitor, is it hot when it shuts off? maybe its not properly heat sinked? if its hot make a heat sink out of aluminium or sheet metal that'll do the trick :wink:

Turbo lag? huh? nah! just traction lag :censor: :furious:

psssshh! don't tell anyone :ez_evil:

BTW GTi = Great Tiny Import :P

Image, Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:03 am 

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to do some more testing tomorrow.

When the problem happens have any tips for testing the coil to make sure its not the problem? I need to pin-point the actual issue so I know what to replace...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:55 am 
Suzuki Elder

the igniter, being a solid state device, might be heating up and crapping out but generally they seem to just quit and never hit another lick. the coil could heat up and go away, then cool down and come back.

is the car running on the ecu open loop and then shutting down when it runs closed loop? unplug the o2 sensor and run the car and see if it still quits on you.

i've been hanging with you on 2 sites and you say it throws a code 41 - ignition error, and that would indicate the igniter not sending a pulse to the ecu. the pulse is generated by the igniter and not the coil, so it would further point the finger at the igniter.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II