TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:56 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Turbo 3cyl Help!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:39 pm 

Ok guys, im selling my 240 for 2k and im goin to spend a max of 1k for a mk2/3 metro/swift 3cyl 5spd. Now, im pretty sure i can turbo it for 1k , im jus looking to get opionons. I should be able to turbo it for 1k shouldnt i? Also, what would be a good setup for it. Im not looking for amazing power out of it, something dependalbe and daily driving. Or maybe depending on how much i can find one for swap a G13B in it. What do you guys think? Im leaning more towards turbo'ing because i think it would be easier than swaping. Any idea's/suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:39 pm 
MuE Patient Zero/The Link Man

if i had to rate turboing over swapping.. i'd say swapping is easier.. IF you have the means to do it...

But, i think you'll have better results and more importanly, more reliable ones from swapping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:45 pm 
smart@ss

swap then turbo is good too. Finding a donor car is getting harder and harder these days, so swap might cost over $1000 if you gotta assemble parts individually from different places. Turbo should be cheaper ( that is if you buy used parts, not new).

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:58 pm 

I say go turbo, because in the long run you would definitely get better gas milage. The added bonus would be if you needed a little more power. all you have to do is turn the boost up a bit. However, it really depends on what things you have at your disposal. Swapping or turboing both have there advantages. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:49 pm 
Suzuki Elder

chris,

there is a complete turbo3 engine and tranny available in toronto for $500 CN if you're interested in a drive to the great white north and a fight at the border. it'd drop right into a 90/ 91 body.

shout if you want the hook up.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:19 pm 

I know I'm the 3cyl. guy, but for the ease of buildup, get a 1.3 SOHC 8V motor, and turbo it later if you still want to. You can do an exhaust, cam, or even a big valve 1.6 head, and make pretty decent power. Get the pre-hydraulic lifter motor. I think they start in 95.

Post subject: Maybe buy a GT?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:05 am 

I think buying a 89-94 GT is the easiest. I have about 3 grand into mine, a 94, $2000 to buy it and $1000 or less in parts and improvements....and it has 52K orig. miles. There must be others around in the US, south of the snow/rust/salt areas.

Buying the GT, you get the nice fog lights, good seats, and the 13B. Then, if you really want to, you can turbo THAT!

How many HP is a turbo 3? 89? I say it is a fun exercise but not worth the money.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:31 am 
Suzuki Elder

...not worth the money? bah! - blow me!

with the extra weight of the 4 cylinder pressing directly on the front wheels, the swift gt in comparison to the turbo3 becomes a pig on ice! the twincam puts the balance of the chassis off while the extra power of the turbo3 along with essentially the same weight and balance of the unboosted 3 banger turns the car into a nimble, little honda eater.

i've never considered high horsepower to be the main determination of a good car but i've always demanded excellent platform stability. straightline performance shouldn't be the main consideration outside of drag racing. the ability to have enough power to make the car do what is demanded is all that's required, the rest of the story is to be able to control the car's movement at speed. it becomes an excercise in physics and the lower mass wins that battle every time.

the ideal balance and distribution of weight for a front drive car is a designed 60 percent front, 40 percent rear. the calculated and correct distribution (according to walter kern, MIT, 1962) is actually 62 percent/ 38 percent on a true neutral steering chassis design. the original design weight for the chassis was based on the 3 cylinder engine and everything that was done to wedge the 4 cylinder into the chassis required the sacrifice of some suspension design.

that's why on track day at the auto cross course, the t3 will spank a twincam's ass right right into the hay bales! :lol: shed the weight of the roof, hatch, glass, and back seat with a convertible and there's no contest.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:38 am 

Quote:
I say it is a fun exercise but not worth the money.....

I have about $1200 in my turbo 3, and run high 14's.
Wanna race?

Post subject: Pun!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:24 am 

T3 says "Blow me!" I get it. It is a pun and an oblique reference to turbocharging, rather than a psychosexual put down.

Everybody has an opinion. If I came across a clean Turbo 3 I would buy it to enjoy, but I am not knocking myself out to find one. I prefer the 4 cyl. DOHC for casual driving...and I would likely choose a clean SOHC 4 Swift or Geo over a beat turbo project or a regular 3.

I do agree that convertibles are cool.

{{|8-<P))=

Post subject: Re: Pun!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:16 pm 
Suzuki Elder

Steve Homan wrote:
T3 says "Blow me!" I get it. It is a pun and an oblique reference to turbocharging, rather than a psychosexual put down.

hehe, i'm glad that you read that as i intended it. given the nature of the topic, that was indeed my reference.

while i enjoy being thrilled by the swift gt's 8500 rpm shifts and exhilirating acceleration, my love of a highly tuned 3 cylinder engine won't be swayed.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject: Re: Pun!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:19 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

t3 ragtop wrote:
while i enjoy being thrilled by the swift gt's 8500 rpm shifts and exhilirating acceleration, my love of a highly tuned 3 cylinder engine won't be swayed.

So true. So much dedication to a project that I probably would've torn down and parted out after all of the problems he's had.

But... as I was going to say before I got off on my own little soapbox:

Just wait 'til you get your replacement ECM put together and ready to roar... then you can do all the 8500RPM shifts that you want with the T3! Like I said before, you already love your 'vert, but you're gonna scream with child-like joy when you finally get everything set up with the turbo engine in it. :D

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0